-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well spoken and excellent advise to the young an starting hunter as well as some of us older ones ,that have a little trouble getting about

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
in Alberta And British Columbia we are not required to wear anything visable most people are using camo now [i have just started using it],
we don't have that many insances happening in our woods , but i do remember when there have been instances of influx of immigrants comming into the country and some of us stayed out of the bush for a few years,,the odd ones of them didn,t make it

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I like to call the 1st photo "BlazinFATMAN" ...vintage cell picture today at 4:15pm.

[Linked Image]

...and this is the implement today. .303H 440 weaver

[Linked Image]

Call it Karma, call it [bleep] luck or don't call it at all, but after seeing literally nada thus far, I had a deer (too thick to get ID on sex) pull the 'ole flim flam on me shortly before this (30 min.) picture. Damn thing came around from behind through the thick stuff. I held pat and caught a glimpse of the asss end through the brush at 40 yards. No positive sight picture of any more of the animal...by the time I stalked, gone and darkness closing in...BUT, it gives hope and maybe it was the balze camo vest! I am superstitious.
Fast forward 20 min. to where I parked my truck on the edge of a huge marsh/swap...past shooting time and clearly I WILL NOT shoot in the near dark...as I am unloading into back seat of truck some gear, snap goes the branch and bounding away from me in the swamp go 4 decent sized animals...too late and too dark. But this is karma...nothing seen thus far, until I break out the blaze camo vest. And gents...I got NO time to embelish and make this shcitt up! Bucks only so tomorrow we will see...and yes, I will be wearing the Balze again as I am superstitious as mentioned.

Last edited by fatjack34; 11/13/11.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i kind oflike the checkering on that gun ,is it your design ???
difinately not factory grin

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Norm...nah, I have NO artistic talent at all and as far as I am concerned checkering a rifle is an art and takes a talent. Definitely NOT factory as a JTC letter backed up. Somebody thought it would be a good idea...probably about the time they refinished the wood and put a high luster finish. The stock is really nice looking and tastefully done by somebody with some amount of talent. I like old school original, but this is a nice job and it doesn't bother me at all.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ya know FJ regardless of all the above discussion, blaze don't make no never mind. Several years back I was wearing full orange head to toe. There I was sitting fat and sassy on a stump looking out over a clear cut when low and behold, some splinters flew off the stump and very shortly thereafter I heard a shot. Hit the ground and started feeling for the selector switch on the M14 I didn't have. Not an experience that gives you a lot of confidence in orange. I no longer hunt on public land in WA. Too damn many want-to-be Seattle hunters out in the woods.

Last edited by Skidrow; 11/13/11.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fatjack34
I like to call the 1st photo "BlazinFATMAN" ...vintage cell picture today at 4:15pm.

[Linked Image]

...and this is the implement today. .303H 440 weaver

[Linked Image]

Call it Karma, call it [bleep] luck or don't call it at all, but after seeing literally nada thus far, I had a deer (too thick to get ID on sex) pull the 'ole flim flam on me shortly before this (30 min.) picture. Damn thing came around from behind through the thick stuff. I held pat and caught a glimpse of the asss end through the brush at 40 yards. No positive sight picture of any more of the animal...by the time I stalked, gone and darkness closing in...BUT, it gives hope and maybe it was the balze camo vest! I am superstitious.
Fast forward 20 min. to where I parked my truck on the edge of a huge marsh/swap...past shooting time and clearly I WILL NOT shoot in the near dark...as I am unloading into back seat of truck some gear, snap goes the branch and bounding away from me in the swamp go 4 decent sized animals...too late and too dark. But this is karma...nothing seen thus far, until I break out the blaze camo vest. And gents...I got NO time to embelish and make this shcitt up! Bucks only so tomorrow we will see...and yes, I will be wearing the Balze again as I am superstitious as mentioned.

Hey John
Thats a darn nice looking rig ya got there. Like the checkering.

As far as Blaze Orange not to worry, deer are colored blind so they say,so no worry's there. And Far better to be seen than not. Me i prefer hunting in a gillie suit grin still have mine from- well that another story. Hope ya Bag a Big One.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep, a lot of wanna-be's out there. Once when I was 14-15 years old and Pop and I were headed into the bush one frosty morning, we chanced upon an old redneck dressed in nothing but a flannel shirt and bib overalls (pre- fluorescent orange days) and sitting behind an automatic rifle of some sort- big old 20-30 shot banana clip sticking up out of the gun. Some kind of Russian or British light machine gun I suppose. My adolescent mind said "Wowee! Boy, you could mow down a whole herd of deer with one of those." My dad on the other hand couldn't get us out of there quickly enough. Later that morning way off down the mountain I heard it open up. The guy must have ripped through a couple magazines, and all I could think was, again, "Wowee!"

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Im always wearing a orabge hat and the fleece seen in the back row, left. In 3xlt its enough orange for most of our hunting party smile

its required here but my Uncle in front of me is at the bare minimum required.

[Linked Image]

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Gary....damn good looking crowd! And I really dig the cabin! Where at?

Stever....worrying me stopping short on the Ghillie suit explanation...please tell me you were on the "darker" side of ops in Cambodia, or Laos or possibly set up to whack some foreign dictator for the "Company". grin grin cool

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Blaze orange camo in place this morning....had PT so half a day was it...

that rub my friends is approx. 7 feet up the downhill side of the tree....guess who NEVER wins that lottery in the tag draw!!!!

[Linked Image]

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I see what looks like that here in Maine and it is where moose knaw the bark off the tree. I have seen places where there were 30 trees that looked like that. Maybe that is not what you have there just what I have seen here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That building behind us is the sauna at my uncle Lonnys place. The portion that is visable on the left side of the photo is the screen porch off the back of the sauna. Just out of view to the right is the log home they built from a pile o logs they cut. Camp 99 is just a few min walk from the main lodge(house).

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yep,Moose love that white maple bark !!!! crazy crazy John you might want to move your stand !!! shocked shocked Deer and moose dont like to hang out with one another !!!! Don

Last edited by Loggah; 11/14/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a big ole bear did that

Used to see them claw marks up in the big woods all the time.

Last edited by 99guy; 11/14/11.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I would have bet Moose rubbing its dumb-assed antlers. Don and the Maine-iac feel it is Moose eating the tasty bark...Moose eating it makes some sense as there was not a single shaving on the ground. BUT...who knows...there are a few moose doing moose things in this patch.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have seen them doing it before! Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know....moose don't exactly have long sharp teeth.

How could they make those big long dig marks in the wood like that? Those dig marks in the tree look to be to close together to be separate tines on a moose's antlers and he'd rake it up and down that trunk 2 feet or more.

I'm thinking that is a bear raking his claws down that tree.

Nobody else ever seen a bear rake a tree like that?

Mostly Balsams in by experience, but I've seen them on a hardwood every once in a while

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Loggah
Yep,Moose love that white maple bark !!!! crazy crazy John you might want to move your stand !!! shocked shocked Deer and moose dont like to hang out with one another !!!! Don

Don
Why do you say White Maple? In my area in Wisconsin they call that Popal Wood! Just Wondering.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"White maple" is also known in some locals as "Silver Maple", which may be a more familiar common name to some.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

331 members (2alphas2, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 163bc, 37 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,214
Posts18,503,952
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.