-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what makes a smooth bore 410- shooting a slug different than a 20 or 12 shooting a slug

come on guys -

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cmathews
The answer to the original question is no. Will it kill a deer? Yes, but it is not a good choice in my opinion. We have had two deer killed on our place this year that had been previously shot with either buck shot or a small caliber rifle and saw another on a trail camera. One was going to survive until he ran into a 280 Remington. The other was heavily infected and in a lot of trouble. The third one was shot in the hip and only time will tell.

I don't know where the information comes from about the use of the 22lr by poachers, but feel that most around here want the deer dead right there. They tend to shoot it with something that will drop the deer on the spot and even a 22lr to the head is an iffy proposition.

I have never thought much of a head shot on deer since there is a lot that can be messed up without a clean, killing shot. The head move moves almost as much as the tail making it an easy shot to screw up. After seeing a few deer that had the bottom jaw shot off, it is not something I like seeing attempted. I know people say that they can shoot them in the ear at a dead run and not mess up any meat, but to me, it is just a shot that is too easy to screw up.

To me, the idea here is not to prove how great a shot you are by shooting an animal with a marginal firearm, but to cleanly kill an animal with as little chance of him escaping wounded or having him travel so far that recovery is impossible. This also involves having a little respect for the animal.

I've been trying to catch one with a fishing rod for years, but they keep breaking the line.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A .410 slug is about as far away from a 12 gauge slug as a .22LR is from .40 S&W.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
By law we need to use at least a 20 gauge in NY. Not that I would use a 410 even if I could.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you guys should know that critters in mt and ak die much easier than the democratic critters of the rest of the union. hell, I hunted wa's bulletproof deer this last week with my 375hh just because the deer here are so tough. it must be nice to have thin skinned game die to a 22 and small shotgun......rock it if you got it!

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I love my Saiga 410, I just don't let anyone else see me hunt with one (birds). The 3" Brenneke slugs work quite well at normal archery ranges BTW.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IF they ar only about #160.00 to buy, I am going to be on the lookout for one. With a light and a lazer, might make for a whale of a bedside gun for my small of frame and non gun person wifey. Certainly eaier for her to hit with and more powerful upon strike than her 38 special snubnose handgun. Shooting times just did a piece on the 410 for defense and said that with the 000 buck loads was a pretty formidable weapon. I would tend to agree on that point.

Still shook, though, from seeing my hero Shrapnel holding one of these plastic and potmetal commie guns smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
$399 nowadays. I originally bought it for small game. The gas system places the mass of the gun in in the front of the gun, but it isn't muzzle heavy in the normal way. I really don't think it would make a great home defense gun for a petite person. The small Mossberg 510 would probably be better as the Saiga is full size, just low recoil. Although you could go through the 922r hoops and fit a pistol grip and .mil stock but then you have just spent more money than it is really worth.

Last edited by ccd; 11/14/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thanks for the update etc. I will just keep an eye out at gunshows for a cehap used version then.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that's an odd question coming from a guy that once killed a deer at 85 yds or so with a lousy .380. Out of a handgun at that. grin

Surely a .410 can do what a .380 can. smile

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
IF they ar only about #160.00 to buy, I am going to be on the lookout for one. With a light and a lazer, might make for a whale of a bedside gun for my small of frame and non gun person wifey. Certainly eaier for her to hit with and more powerful upon strike than her 38 special snubnose handgun. Shooting times just did a piece on the 410 for defense and said that with the 000 buck loads was a pretty formidable weapon. I would tend to agree on that point.

Still shook, though, from seeing my hero Shrapnel holding one of these plastic and potmetal commie guns smile

Originally Posted by ccd
$399 nowadays. I originally bought it for small game. The gas system places the mass of the gun in in the front of the gun, but it isn't muzzle heavy in the normal way. I really don't think it would make a great home defense gun for a petite person. The small Mossberg 510 would probably be better as the Saiga is full size, just low recoil. Although you could go through the 922r hoops and fit a pistol grip and .mil stock but then you have just spent more money than it is really worth.

Might want to check out [b][color:#3333FF]Classic Arms[/color][/b], they've got them on sale now for $299.

Scroll down the page about half way...

I bought a few rifles from them a few years ago, were good to do business with....

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
410 slugs are 1/5th of an ounce which is 437 grains divided by 5 equals 88 grains for the sake of an argument. At 1500 fps it has 440 ft pounds of energy - soft lead.

Use what you like, but I wouldn't.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by the_shootist
410 slugs are 1/5th of an ounce which is 437 grains divided by 5 equals 88 grains for the sake of an argument. At 1500 fps it has 440 ft pounds of energy - soft lead.

think you are a little miss informed guy

http://mcb-homis.com/slug_410/slugtest/index.htm

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is insane to use 410 buckshot to kill deer unless that is all you have and your dying of starvation. 410 slugs are a much better choice, but you have to hunt like you have a pistol.

[Linked Image from ]
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
What he said. I shot slugs out of my .410 and they were fairly impressive at the range. If your gonna hunt, you gotta plan ahead with what your using if it's a sharp stick, handgun or what. Definitely better than a 22lr, though.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For you naysayers, we did an informal penetration test with solid pine. You may be surprised at the penetration of the 410 at 1200 FPS, when compared to a 357...

The 410:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.357:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by azcoues
Originally Posted by the_shootist

think you are a little miss informed guy

http://mcb-homis.com/slug_410/slugtest/index.htm

Well, shucks, call me a liar for being out by a few feet per second and 8 whole grains of bullet weight. 640 foot pounds is still not my choice for quick kills on deer. But fill yer boots, man.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think I have ever even fired a .410. Ever.

One of the stranger things Dad bought a few years ago was a double .410 - I forget the make, but I think my brother has it now. Maybe a Baikal?

I suppose I could try buckshot or slugs (chokes permitting) in it, but I probably won't. wink

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
E
i would say if a arrow could kill a deer than a 410 would

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, yes and no. Are you a bow hunter? They are REAL effective. A .410 certainly can kill a deer. Your average whitetail bow could kill a moose. Care to try that with a .410? Ya COULD, but ya shouldn't.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 870 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,943
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.