Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, today was a good day. Our general rifle season opened Nov. 5th and I'd hunted all but 3 days of it without seeing a single legal bull. And for the past week, I'd not seen any elk at all. It was very disheartening.

I had put a lot of pressure on myself to kill one this year. As you might recall, my hunting partner died last Christmas Eve and this was my first elk season without him in a long time. I had a Ruger No. 1 .45-70 Govt. Liberty Model that I sold to him, and he planned to hunt elk with it but got cancer that summer and never hunted again. I bought the rifle back from his widow and also got some ammo he had loaded prior to his passing. I was really looking forward to hunting that rifle with his bullets. Here's the rifle:
[Linked Image]

Here's a pic of the kind of timber I frequently hunt:
[Linked Image]

The timber slopes down to a valley that is full of creeks, swamps, and beaver ponds:
[Linked Image]

This morning I was hunting my way down the ridge where my partner killed his last elk (also where his son scattered his ashes) and reached a swampy creek bed. I was working my way through it when I spotted an elk feeding ahead of me. It took me a minute to determine he was legal, and what seemed like an eternity to find a shooting lane! Finally I sidestepped far enough to have a mostly clear path to a high shoulder shot. Well, my high shoulder shot went high, but it turned into a very nice spine shot. The bull dropped and never took a step. The 400 grain Speer went through the backbone and lodged against the offside hide.

When I walked up to him, I saw that he was a 4x5. It's not a monster rack, but he's pretty typical for elk around here.
[Linked Image]

Here's a couple shots of me with him (please note the very cool Camp Chickenbuck shirt--my second elk while wearing it!):
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then the work began. I ended up walking 16.5 miles and am completely exhausted as I sit here. But, it was pretty cool to shoot one with my buddy's rifle, with bullets he loaded, on the base of the ridge where he rests eternally. Definitely a good day... smile

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Good work and what a way to honor your friend!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Outstanding! Love that blue tape on the #1!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story and congrats Waders. Just spent the week in a similar area in the Cascade foothills. Never got on anything however. Your hunting partner would be proud!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Congrats on a great bull and a great story. Sounds like everythign came together on this one!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you find that hunting this year seemed to be a real zoo? I saw more rigs this year running up and down the mainlines than I ever remember.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Well done and congratulations! A memory to cherish for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on a superb hunt.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

6mm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's pretty cool. Congratulations to you and I think your friend was with you on this one!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Congrats on the bull, and getting him with your buddies #1!!
Good eatin' elk too...

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B3

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dan360
Did you find that hunting this year seemed to be a real zoo? I saw more rigs this year running up and down the mainlines than I ever remember.

I probably am not the one to ask since the area I hunt is walk-in only. So I don't see any vehicles.

Wade

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How cool is that!!!?? There is something right with the world after all, a kind of symmetry and wholeness in your elk story.

Hunting with your late friend's rifle and handloads, in the place where he got his last elk, and where his ashes lie. I suspect something is going on bigger than meets the eye, and it is good. Thank you for sharing a GREAT hunt.

I love the dark antlers. How did everything get so wet, and where is the sage and pine? laugh

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great story and thanks for sharing. Congrats on the bull also!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good going Waders it's a good looking Bull and it's a great beginning for you and your partner's memory.

He was truly watching over your hunt.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Okanagan
How did everything get so wet, and where is the sage and pine?

No doubt. I was asking myself that same question as I was skinning, gutting, butchering in the rain. With my 225lbs walking around the elk, the area quickly became a pool of runny mud. Butchering in that muck was a pain!

Wade

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Way to go!!! Congrats on a fine bull.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looks great - congrats on a nice bull

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great story and pics. Any images of the recovered slug?

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Waders,

That is a really cool story.

Congrats on a great elk!

A great way to honor a friend and hunting bud, outstanding.

Chris

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Any images of the recovered slug?

I broke off a petal while handling it and did not include it in these pics. The bullet including the loose petal weighed 339.5 grains:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I thought it held up rather well considering it went through an elk's backbone.

Wade

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,286
Posts18,486,887
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.