Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Okay, my mom is buying my dad a new-to-him set of binoculars for Christmas. Basically I'm choosing the optics, she's writing the check. He likes 10x42 and is a fan of the big three - Leica, Swaro, and Zeiss, but his current Zeiss are almost 30 years old and are actually Aus Jena East German production and show a double image. Yes, reparable, but he repaired it a few years ago and it's quite a bit of money. Anyway, what is the difference between Leica Trinovid BN and Trinovid BA models? I have a bid in on evilbay that I'm considering retracting because the ad is for a 10x42 Trinovid BN, but the pictures and fine print say Trinovid BA. And how would either of these compare to a pair of Swarovski SLC WB 10x42 from 1999? I know the Swaros from that era have Swarobright and Swarodur, but are the prisms phase-corrected as well? Thanks for the help!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Does it have to be one of those? If not, you might want to look at the Cabela's Euro 10x42 on sale right now. Same wide euro style FOV, built like a tank, really nice "easy" view.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I had both Leica 10x42 BA and Swarovski 10x42 SLC. Both are gone now but I really liked the Swaros much better.

Should be plenty of good tips coming in soon....................

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, without going into more details than any of you want to know, the name is important to dad, and not for the specifically vain reasons that such a statement usually implies, more of a "stuck in the 1980s or 1990s" in terms of who makes the absolute best and how large the quality gap is, which isn't true any more, but to him it is. If I were the one spending the cash on this purchase I'd be getting the Cabela's Euro HDs or waiting for Meopta Meostar HD model to come out, but in dad's mind the best binoculars are either Leica, Zeiss, or Swarovski. He'll be happy with any of them, but he might look at the Cabela's Euro model or Meopta and be very skeptical.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Lawdwaz, good to know.

Selmer

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I figured it was something like that.

He'll be happy with any of them, but he might look at the Cabela's Euro model or Meopta and be very skeptical.

Do you think if he really looked through a pair his "notions" would override his eyes?

Of course the purpose of the gift is to please him, so maybe education is counterproductive in this case.

Last edited by mathman; 11/14/11.
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
mathman, you nailed it, as I'm sure you know by now. He would look through them and think "These Meoptas are great, but the Leica/Zeiss/Swaro would be waaayyyy better."

Selmer

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
BN's focus closer than BA's. Other than that, they're the same. Swarobright is Swarovski's version of phase coating and came out in I believe 1999 (anything after serial number 68xxxx will have Swarobright coated prisms).

No flies on the Leica Trinovids, Zeiss ClassiC's, and older SLC's, but there's plenty of glass that equal or surpass them in today's market, and for less money. You have to keep in mind the BA Trinovids are at least three gerations old now (BN's, Ultravids, Ultravid HD's), SLC's are two generations old (Neu's, HD's), and while I'm a fan of the Zeiss ClassiC's, they're about as "old school" as it gets.

IMO, the previously mentioned Euros are every bit as good as the older SLC's and Trinovids, and kick the crap out of the Zeiss ClassiC's optically. They're also built like the proverbial tank. If one can get past the made in a China part, the Zen-Ray ED3's are better optically than all the above. What they're lacking in my opinion is long term proven durability, and that's the area the others shine.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Also wanted to add, if some dumbazz can't post an actual picture of the item they're selling, I'd run in the opposite direction.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
BN's focus closer than BA's. Other than that, they're the same. Swarobright is Swarovski's version of phase coating and came out in I believe 1999 (anything after serial number 68xxxx will have Swarobright coated prisms).

No flies on the Leica Trinovids, Zeiss ClassiC's, and older SLC's, but there's plenty of glass that equal or surpass them in today's market, and for less money. You have to keep in mind the BA Trinovids are at least three gerations old now (BN's, Ultravids, Ultravid HD's), SLC's are two generations old (Neu's, HD's), and while I'm a fan of the Zeiss ClassiC's, they're about as "old school" as it gets.

IMO, the previously mentioned Euros are every bit as good as the older SLC's and Trinovids, and kick the crap out of the Zeiss ClassiC's optically. They're also built like the proverbial tank. If one can get past the made in a China part, the Zen-Ray ED3's are better optically than all the above. What they're lacking in my opinion is long term proven durability, and that's the area the others shine.

The SLC's have all had phase coated prisms, the Swarobright refers to the prism coatings, it means Dielectric coating,
which is the latest and offers a brighter reflective surface. I would recommend a newer Swarovski SLC, and that means
2000 and later, they are very good, Swarovski has the best warranty in the business, and will cover them for a second
user. Leica, does not warranty these older binoculars second hand, and that is a large consideration. I believe the
Swaro. will be better and brighter than the Trinovid. We all have opinions, and there you go. I have owned some models
of each, and have settled in on Swaro. as my preference, as many sportsmen do.

IC B3

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info guys.

Selmer

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I retracted the bid on ebay. I tried to email him and couldn't, and I couldn't locate a phone number. Fortunately I had 18 hours left on the sale. If they give me any gruff about it I'll calmly explain the discrepancy between the title and the description and that the "A" vs. "N" is more than a simple meaningless typo in this case.

Selmer

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For old geezers like myself, whose father first started using Leica cameras and lenses back in the 1930s, and I used them from an early age, it is hard not to stay with the tried-and-true.

I have a couple of pairs of Leitz binoculars from the 1970s that I extensively tested against all available at that time, and while there might possibly be even better items today, I very much doubt that I could detect the difference. I really, really like Leitz.

Norm Solberg

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have 10x42 SLC(1993 model) and Cabelas Euro(Meopta) 12x50. Both are excellent. Have used the SLC for past 15 years without issue. Recently called swarovski about upgrades. Was told these are due for upgrades in diopter, armor and items irrevelant to me. Sent in, had binos back in 3 weeks. Completely gone through and did not charge me a dime. They look like new. Incredible CS. Currently using the Meopta 12x50 on all hunts so far this year. A little heavier/larger but manageable. I have used BN 12x50, seem a little bulky/heavier than others. Excellent glass but prefer the Meopta for size/wt in a 12x50. You can't go wrong with any of the forementioned. Good Luck, TG

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So if I bought the 1999 SLC 10x42s, I could probably send them in for upgrades and get them back before Christmas...I'll be calling the lady with the checkbook.

Selmer

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yes. The only reason I called them was about a minor crack in plastic diopter ring. Thought since I was using the meoptas I could be without the slcs for awhile. She said send in. Here is what the packing slip shows: replacement of prism/housing, left and right. Driving gear cover, diopter scale ring, nameplate, diopter wheel, driving gear housing, bridge piece, focus wheel rubber ring, focuser wheel, diopter pin, casing, spring, spindle wheel, Armour LT/RT, focus mounting lens, support ring, threaded bushing, focus rod. The binos are smaller/shorter than original. Heck, they may be a new pair.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had a similar experience with a pair of SLC 7X42's a few years ago down to the cracked diopter ring and the complete overhaul and upgrade including the new armor.

GrimJim

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I mailed my 1990 8X30 SLC back to Cranston for replacement of a busted diopter adjustment wheel today and asked that the binocular be "checked." I sure hope they run an upgrade in on me! This is an instrument that failed under much less than severe use while desert mule deer hunting two years in a row around 94-95. The second time they went back to Austria for a complete rebuild. The busted diopter wheel is the first trouble that I have had with this one since then. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I finally got a message back from the seller on the ebay Leicas I was bidding on. He was apologetic about the error and said he would correct the description and understood if I withdrew my bid. He said he would correct the error, but I see that he hasn't yet. And the bidding has reached my max bid, so I would have been safe in any case. Another example of why I try to avoid ebay...

Selmer

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You should be able to find a SLC NEU made in the last several years in your price point. That is the most logical thing for you to buy IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 160user, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.