Print Thread
Hop To
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I just traded for a pre-64 model 70 that was rebored and rechambered to 35 Whelen AI by Robert West. What do I have here?

Last edited by JeffG; 11/10/11.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
GB1

J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
here's a couple photos, verry neat custom stock. monte carlo and recoil pad move as a unit to change LOP, and have a spring damper to help absorb recoil.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by JeffG; 11/10/11.

JeffG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Robert West was a full member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. He worked for P.O. Ackley for a time and then went into business for himself. He passd a few years ago.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The stock is a much modified factory stock as opposed to a full custom stock. Perhaps he had need to suit a tall scope or similar sighting arrangement. I would shoot it and see how well it groups. If it shoots well the stock would be removed and replaced with a more conventional sporter stock. Could be an excellent hunting rifle in theat chambering.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffG
I just traded for a pre-64 model 70 that was rebored and rechambered to 35 Whelen AI by Robert West. What do I have here?

From what I can tell, you have a pre-64 Winchester rifle in 35 Whelen Improved that needs a new stock.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Malm
Originally Posted by JeffG

From what I can tell, you have a pre-64 Winchester rifle in 35 Whelen Improved that needs a new stock.

laugh laugh laugh

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Almost looks like the original stock is unmodified, but hard to tell from the angle in the pic. Looks like someone wanted an outrageously long LOP. Can it be removed and the original stock is still all there?

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If it's the same Robert West, he had a custom gunsmithing and reboring shop in Eugene, OR for many years. I had him rebore several classic Winchester single shots that had ruined bores. He did excellent work.

It's a common name, but could there be two Bob Wests who did rebores? Not likely. Sounds like somebody in the Northwest needed an elk rifle.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a 1941 model 70 that I believe was done by Bob West. It was converted to left handed, came out of Oregon and the only other conversion like mine I have seen, was done by Bob West according to the owner. Mine was originally a 30-06 but I had it rebored to 35 Whelen by Cliff LaBounty and put it in a new LH take off stock from a modern model 70.

Here in Alaska, Bob West's name seems to be fairly well known. I don't know if he did much work for guys up here but several shooters I've run into here recognize his name. If he was doing left hand conversions he had to have been fairly talented.

The stock on yours looks very similar to a Soft Touch stock seen on trap guns.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Almost looks like the original stock is unmodified, but hard to tell from the angle in the pic. Looks like someone wanted an outrageously long LOP. Can it be removed and the original stock is still all there?

It is an original M-70 stock. Length of pull, as it sits is 13-1/4", so the back end (which is also hollowed out to receive the sliding section), is cut way short from the original length. I really like the the stock, form and function are top notch workmanship. That's what first attracted me to the gun.

JeffG
IC B3

J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mesa
If it's the same Robert West, he had a custom gunsmithing and reboring shop in Eugene, OR for many years. I had him rebore several classic Winchester single shots that had ruined bores. He did excellent work.

It's a common name, but could there be two Bob Wests who did rebores? Not likely. Sounds like somebody in the Northwest needed an elk rifle.

I'm pretty sure it's the Robert West from Oregon, because there was also a reference to his having worked with P.O. Ackley. Why else build a 35 Whelen Improved, instead of the more conventional 35 Whelen. Also Granville, NY where Ackley lived, is just up the road from us.

JeffG
L
LGB Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Here is an account of Robert West. I was the 5th stockmaking instructor at TSJC and the information was given to me by Louie Mrace. West went with P.O. Ackley when he moved to Salt Lake City. If you want more info send me a PM and I will send the complete file as the pdf file.
Les Brooks, TSJC 92-94 Stockmaking instructor
This was at Ackley's shop in 1948 as
Russ Hightower stayed one year and was replaced by Robert G. West who left
with P.O. Ackley in 1951. Ackley taught the theory classes and supervised the operation
of the GUNSMITHING DEPARTMENT. He operated his custom shop with about
twelve to fifteen employees and a number of part-time apprentices. Mrace was in the first class in 1949 and worked for Ackley.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,000
Posts18,500,029
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.