Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The lady and I want to go Antelope hunting in Wyoming next year, drawing a New Mexico tag is like trying to win the lottery! even though they are in my front yard every morning. Niether of us have ever been to Wyoming, if you could point us in a good direction for a DIY hunt for 2012 we would be in your debt. Thanks for any and all help.

keep doing what your doing and you will keep getting what your getting...
GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
WY F&G publishes pretty detailed draw odds for Buck, Special Draw Buck, and doe tag(s).

Most antelope are on public land - which is plentiful.

Start by looking at the odds for units along a likely travel route from NM and branch out from there.

You can easily get 1 buck and 2 doe tags each if you choose well.

smile

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
trying to draw an antelope tag on some of the popular public land hunts can be tough here also...I often hunting a public land unit, but as a backup apply for a near by unit that has lots of private land...I have a couple places I can hunt there...I would look at making a deal for a trespass fee and hunt private ground..I know guys who leave in areas that have huge amounts of public land all around them, but only draw a buck tag once every 10 years or so.....

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can buy leftover doe tags for next to nothing.To me, hunting antelope does is as fun as bucks.If you really want a buck tag, thats not terribly difficult if you do a little research.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thank you for the advise, I will begin doing some research on draw odds and look at maps for public and private land.

keep doing what your doing and you will keep getting what your getting...
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The game and fish also publishes landowner lists for the areas. I have the antelope and deer landowner lists here on my desk if you want a copy, or you can get it from the website. Some phone calls might get you on some decent public land for a small fee or no fee. Antelope dont bring much money. I always hunt public land but I have heard of people getting access for antelope for $100. Access for does are almost always free if the land owner wants to get rid of some goats. Over the counter tags for additional does are very inexpensive.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
PM at you..

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Please try it again. I did not recieve anything!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I meant the OP ..sorry

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Gonna bump this up...

I've just begun researching for a 2012 archery hunt as well. Brother and I will likely be heading somewhere for a week. We intend to pitch a tent in the area we plan on hunting and go from there.

From the little research I've done, it seems like you can throw a dart on the map and go hunt that area and there will be goats. I have a packet coming from the G&F that will answer a lot of my questions I'm sure (draw odd, success rates, licenses, etc). I'm looking for help on pinning down a couple general areas as a place to start really doing research on.

I know most are reluctant to give up honey holes they've worked hard for. And I don't expect that to be handed to me. Just looking for a little general info to get me started. Areas with decent herds and a reasonable amount of public land.

Also, where can a guy buy some decent maps at, showing topo, all roads, public vs private land, etc. Been trying to get in touch with the BLM office today but they must be a busy bunch. Wondering if there are other (better) options as well.

PM me if you'd rather.

Thanks
Fisky

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For the maps http://mytopo.com/.

You need some topography to be able to stalk close enough. I took a doe last fall with a flintlock at what could have been bow range. Just takes the right lay out - and time and patience.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootnrats
The lady and I want to go Antelope hunting in Wyoming next year, drawing a New Mexico tag is like trying to win the lottery! even though they are in my front yard every morning. Niether of us have ever been to Wyoming, if you could point us in a good direction for a DIY hunt for 2012 we would be in your debt. Thanks for any and all help.

Area 47. Lots of public land. If you draw get a hold of me......

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by shootnrats

Aint that the truth, 20+ years without drawing a tag for me.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Go to the Wyoming fish and game site. You need to look at 3 areas.

"Walk in areas" : http://gf.state.wy.us/plpwhmprogram/frmWalkinHuntingHome.aspx

"Hunting GPS map": Its in the gift shop, or you can get it direct from the outfit with a google look.
https://gf.state.wy.us/ae/c-34-hunting.aspx

"Draw odds/results": You can find it easy.

Look through the Walk in areas and see what units have land for hunting antelope, and look at the Plat maps to see what units have BLM/state land. Then cross this data with the draw odds ect.... and figure out what units you want to put in for.

With 1 point you have darn good odds for some fun meat hunts. Horn hunts may take a few more points.

Rick
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by BrentD
For the maps http://mytopo.com/.

You need some topography to be able to stalk close enough. I took a doe last fall with a flintlock at what could have been bow range. Just takes the right lay out - and time and patience.

Exactly what I'm looking for in a map. Thanks!!!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Chesapeake
Go to the Wyoming fish and game site. You need to look at 3 areas.

"Walk in areas" : http://gf.state.wy.us/plpwhmprogram/frmWalkinHuntingHome.aspx

"Hunting GPS map": Its in the gift shop, or you can get it direct from the outfit with a google look.
https://gf.state.wy.us/ae/c-34-hunting.aspx

"Draw odds/results": You can find it easy.

Look through the Walk in areas and see what units have land for hunting antelope, and look at the Plat maps to see what units have BLM/state land. Then cross this data with the draw odds ect.... and figure out what units you want to put in for.

With 1 point you have darn good odds for some fun meat hunts. Horn hunts may take a few more points.

Thanks for the info as well. I hadn't gotten to the WIAs yet. Matter of fact, at this point, I was going to use BLM land only as an indicator of public land access.

Obviously everybody wants to kill a trophy. But that is not our main goal. We're just looking to get our feet wet with an out of state hunt and have a good time. Goat season has been closed in ND for a couple seasons now, and mule deer are going downhill too, so it's time to expand a little.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 54 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,902
Posts18,518,510
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.