-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"...standing amongst guys dressed in kilts"? Ftw?

laugh

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Free Me, I personally use a G17, G22, and G21.

I think the smaller G19, G23 etc are probably a little better all-arounder if concealment might ever be an issue.

I just threw out the G19 as a well known standard, but any of the well made striker-fired autos would be good too, in my opinion.

Got it. And I agree.

About starting with a .22lr....

I think a lot of us buy into the logic of starting out with a rimfire, based on an assumption of a lack of quality training. In years way past, such training wasn't easy to come by for the average Joe - and many of us suffered from a lack of it, but worked our way through it by burning countless rounds of .22lr. A lot of what was inflicted by well-meaning fathers, brothers, and friends has been undone with .22lr therapy.

I still like to see people start with a rimfire because cheap ammo encourages more trigger time and low recoil removes the "intimidation factor" - but no, it isn't necessary if good training is acquired at the outset.

As it relates to the OP - one of the beauties of going with a Glock or a 1911 is that .22lr conversions are readily available, and having the ability to put thousands of rounds on a regular basis through your favorite defensive arm - or at least one like it - on the cheap ain't a bad thing.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

H
Hoz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Wow, Thanks for all the information! I have decided to take her to the range and try out whatever she wants. Kinda what I wanted to do in the first place but also wanted to hear from all the experience on the fire! Thanks fellas

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by safariman
My new (4 years next week) wifey had not been around guns when I married her. Now, she is pretty good with a handgun. I am an NRA certifed handguns instructor so here is what the NRA and I both reccomend for a new to the handgun world personbe they male or female.

#1 start off with a 22LR rimfire revolver, teaching the basics of sight picture, trigger control etc. and getting comfortable with shooting a handgun with that firearm. Initial targets should be a) close b) easy to hit and c) interactive such as swinging rimfire targets or exploding targets, still full popcans with hollow point ammo etc so as to give lots of re-inforcement and a high fun faactor at the outset.

#2 when moving up to the next level, and a double action 38 special is an ideal next level, get some snap caps and let the new shooter practice, practice, practice at home with no noise or projectile.

#3 pracitce and initial training with the larger gun can still be at close enough range to ensure hits and full unoponed pop cans etc are still a great idea.

Unless the person is interested in hunting with a handgun or serious target shooting competition, there is absolutely NO reason to ever have them shoot past 7 yards. My wife has been shooting for 4 years now and still has yet to engage qa target farther away than that. Why would she? She can make a bad guy go ouch and is having fun plus building confidence with each outing.

After the above, let the new shooter, and especially one's wife. shop for guns and try out a few then pick out her OWN gun. I cannot emphasize this enough. Far too many guys, becasue they know it all and / or are controlling buffoons insist on picking out thier girlfriends or wifes handgun and with that MO prepare for the gun to sit in a drawer most of the time.

My wife actually brings up to me that she feels like it is time to brush up and practice with HER gun, that SHE bought at a gunshow, after trying out and re-selling about 5 before settling on her Colt Cobra.

Make it easy, make it fun, make it hers and you will both do fine.

+1. IMHO, this is the only approach that will work if you have a loved one that wants to arm her/himself. You have to commit to carrying and using a gun, so it's not as simple as buying one and keeping it around the house. So, does your wife want to learn to use a gun, or does she just want to feel safe when you are gone? If the latter, get great locks on doors and windows, have a landline and cell phone, and get a good dog. If the former, then the approach described above is the only way to go. As we all know, guns are a fun hobby so it isn't torture to learn. Everyone I've ever introduced to shooting has loved it-- especially women, and even those few who were dead set against guns going in.

Just my opinion of course. I don't insist you agree.

Good luck!

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
H
Hoz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
She has expressed interest in shooting! She has even done research trying to find courses to take. She hasnt expressed interest until now, and we have been together for 14 years. If she doesnt like it, I get another gun! OK by me

IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hoz
...If she doesnt like it, I get another gun! OK by me

One way to look at it is that, if you're going to err, err on the side where you wind up w/ a really nice gun, for yourself. grin

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,771
Posts18,495,708
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.