-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We make Italian dressing, as per my Grandma. I like to make cornbread and Italian sausage dressing myself.

The Italian starts by soaking hard crusty bread in milk. I would get a big loaf of crusty Italian and rip it up. Pour a cup of milk over it and toss it around. Let it sit. I would add about 5 or 6 medium eggs to make a soft wet dressing. I add chopped pepperoni, chopped olives, toasted pine nuts, parsley, basil, and oregano. I also put in a good handful of parmigiano cheese. Pile it loosely into a casserole dish and bake it relatively hot, say 375 for 45 minutes. Tap it and see that it has set up before putting it on the table.

For the cornbread. I make cornbread the day before and leave it out. Break it up and mix it with sauteed onions. celery, and a chopped green apple. Fry a couple Italian sausage (Jimmy Dean is great too) crispy and add it. You need a little Sage or Old Bay seasoning. Toss everything together and add chicken stock until it's moist. Break eggs into it and toss until it's sticky. Put loosely into a casserole and bake relatively hot, again. Tap and make sure it has set as well.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Oyster dressing or rice and sausage , preferrable andoullie, crawfish is good , but I have family in LA that put me on many things.

Turducken is the bomb!

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funny, I haven't had a turducken I felt as worth the trouble to make, much less to eat. Guess I've never had a really good one....

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My family doesn't care for cornbread dressing (I do but majority rules) so we have a white bread dressing with the precooked turkey giblets (I add extra chicken livers and giblets)chopped in and the broth along with onions and celery a few eggs mixed in with a bit of milk to make it very moist, salt and pepper and sage (not too heavy with the sage). I also put pieces of butter all over the top. Put some in the bird if I'm doing the dressing and the rest in a pan and bake until the top is nice and crispy so there is enough for everyone with lotsa left overs laugh There is usually about 30 to 40 people for dinner.

Hope you all have a wonderful turkey day!

Sassy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30-40 people for dinner? shocked Holy cow, Sassy, I don't know 30-40 people, much less ask that many over for dinner!!!

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SOUR DOUGH/GOOD WHITE bread dressing, with the precooked turkey giblets (in its own water so i can use for/in the gravy latter)chopped up and added in, some broth along with ONIION and CELERY, a APPLE and a small hand full of RASIONS, SAUSAGE (jimmy dean or a damm close copy, cooked to about 1/2 way done), salt, pepper, thyme , and some sage mixed..... place in a pan and bake until the top is nice and crispy
there i fixed it for u........ been eating the same dressing since the early sixtys....made the gaint mistake one time of making a dressing "that them clowns" on one of the abc' channels/years ago....said was "the best"...it had dried cherrys and maybe some oysters in it, whatever it was it SUCKED..( Imagine setting, u and all the relatives naked...at the dinner table sick)yup that bad!!!....... there was nothing to be thankful for at that thanksgiving .

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only dressing I have ever made was with day old cornbread. Chopped celery, Pecans, a couple of beaten eggs, couple of cups of Turkey broth, some butter, seasonings and you are in for a treat.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 11/17/11.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I made a turduckhen once that was awesome. I saw turkey breasts and duck breasts in the grocery and a light bulb went off. I did it with just the breasts and it was delicious. I split the duck breast and added some cornbread stuffing. I split the chicken breast and filleted the halves again. Cover that with dressing and wrap up duck breast. Butterfly and fillet halves of turkey breast and repeat. Tie up with string and brush with butter. Pop that in the oven and roast it. It was good. The duck had a lot of fat, which pretty much kept everything nice and moist.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Only dressing I have ever made was with day old cornbread. Chopped celery, Pecans, a couple of beaten eggs, couple of cups of Turkey broth, some butter, seasonings and you are in for a treat.

I fail to see where pecans have any place in dressing....but I will try anything.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I fail to see where pecans have any place in dressing....but I will try anything.

Ask 100 people their recipe for dressing, and you'll get 100 different recipes. In the south, you'll find pecans in lots of stuff.

War Damn Eagle!

IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I concur 100%. We have about 6 pecan trees and they do get used a in a lot of foods.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 62 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,458
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.