Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello,

This squirrel season I've not seen but one. I shot it.

Even in Wabash Town, where they usually thrive, they're not near as thick as previous years.

Been hearing the coyotes pretty close, but I've heard that before and it didn't really affect the squirrel population. (The rabbit population was a different story).

I almost wonder if there was a decrease in town and the woodland critters migrated that way for scraps.

Still plenty of deer, to the point I'm thinking of popping one or a few this year to thin the home herd.

Just the squirrels, and to a point, chipmunks, have disappeared.

I'm hoping for a light dusting of snow here soon so I can track with more certainty.

It's been unseasonably warm. It's near December and still reaching into the 60s some days, so I doubt it's a food issue. Good yield from the apple tree this year too. Plenty for the squirrel, deer, and whatever else.

Figure I'll start spreading food in a clearing to see what I can come up with. Help everything through the winter, too. As I teach part-time, I can come up with all sorts of stale biscuits and such from students who work at fast-food joints. The fat content and carbs should help all the critters through the winter.

But I'm off on a tangent.

Anyone know what's happening with the squirrels? Is this countywide, Indiana-wide, or nationwide?

I'd be interested in hearing from folks in Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky as well as Indiana.

Thanks!

Josh

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Squirrels a scarce here too. Not sure why. I have 8 or 9 in the bag so far. But it's slim pickin's.

We had a really good red acorn crop in the fall of 2010. This year, a some white oak, a very little hickory and some walnuts but no reds. And no squirrels.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Squirrels have been very scarce in Maryland and West Virginia where I hunt for the last three years. Conventional wisdom blames the poor mast crop over that time period.

You may have the same problem. But if you have plenty of acorns and hickory nuts on the ground, then I suspect there is another reason for the lack of squirrels.

Steve

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
far fewer this year in my corner of the Southern Appalachians. i attribute to a lack of mast and the summer drought.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
second year in a row with a record mast harvest. The dang things are everywhere.

Sam......

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
PLENTY here in NJ. more and more chipmunks too, which I figured should be dropping in population what with all the fox, yotes, hawks, and cats.

Last yea the squirrels were not only everywhere, they were BIG.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by BrentD
Squirrels a scarce here too. Not sure why. I have 8 or 9 in the bag so far. But it's slim pickin's.

We had a really good red acorn crop in the fall of 2010. This year, a some white oak, a very little hickory and some walnuts but no reds. And no squirrels.
Around here the Red Oaks only make every other year.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
They must have moved south then, 'cause I have at least five rooting around in the 1/2 acre strip of woods next to my house. Plenty more on my hunting property as well.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
plenty here in west Mich

Everything I say to you is a lie , and that is the truth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (204guy, 1lessdog, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 264mag, 06hunter59, 40 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 589 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,445
Posts18,507,878
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.