Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
$40 a box is dang cheap Ranch means, what is the brand of the brass . Does the serial # on the gun have a B prefix or suffix to it? No B would mean probably a 4 digit serial with a 1 in 36" twist 550 gr bullets or lighter. B guns (built after the Bryan family bought out Wolfe Droge) were built with a 1 in 22" twist and are more suitable for bullets up to 700 grs+. Your barrel appears to be std weight 34? or is it a heavy barrel? Magnum Man

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yuup 2$ a trigger yank is cheap unless you shoot any competition, then it's pretty stinkin high.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
$40 a box is dang cheap Ranch means, what is the brand of the brass . Does the serial # on the gun have a B prefix or suffix to it? No B would mean probably a 4 digit serial with a 1 in 36" twist 550 gr bullets or lighter. B guns (built after the Bryan family bought out Wolfe Droge) were built with a 1 in 22" twist and are more suitable for bullets up to 700 grs+. Your barrel appears to be std weight 34? or is it a heavy barrel? Magnum Man
Has a B. Barrel appears pretty heavy to me. The gun weighs 12 1/2 lbs.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Yuup 2$ a trigger yank is cheap unless you shoot any competition, then it's pretty stinkin high.
My mind was elsewhere at that show or I'd have bought at least 40 more rounds. I won't see that dude again until Spring, but he will be at the next Wannamacher show as he is always there.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
At 12 1/2 lbs it would be a heavy barrel and my guess is a 1 in 22" twist. You want to know more about your particular gun copy down the serial # and email shiloh sharps or get on the shiloh forum and into the support thread and ask Kirk Bryan what he can tell you about there serial# change over to 1 in 22 twist. If that is it you should be able to shoot up to 700+ gr bullets.Be polite and ask Kurt 71 for some advice on loading for it.He probably knows more about the 50-2 1/2" than most folks. Magnum Man

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
He can check the twist himself. All it takes is a cleaning rod and a patch and a ruler. If it is 1-22, it won't shoot until the bullet weight gets to 600 to 650 grains, and will like 700 plus even better.

After he fights it for awhile, I wouldn't be surprised to see it looking for another home. That stock configuration and barrel length makes it a difficult gun to shoot well, and he won't like the recoil after he shoots it a few times.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
After he fights it for awhile, I wouldn't be surprised to see it looking for another home. That stock configuration and barrel length makes it a difficult gun to shoot well, and he won't like the recoil after he shoots it a few times.

I really hope it works out for Cole. I love to see folks getting bit by the BPCR bug. Recoil pads are cheap.

When it comes to BPCRs in particular, coolness sells, and size is cool. I'd be interested to see Shiloh's stats, including how many of what are returned for rebarreling.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The 450 grainers are not bad at all. Indeed, I'm not looking for a 600 Nitro Express.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What sort of groups are you getting?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rifle Cole I'm envious of you guys and chompin at the bit for my 45/110's arrival next summer.BTW just wonder if ET is getting a little comish for pushin Shilo guns? whistle grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Nice rifle Cole I'm envious of you guys and chompin at the bit for my 45/110's arrival next summer.BTW just wonder if ET is getting a little comish for pushin Shilo guns? whistle grin
No doubt.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

I doubt the commission you insinuated. Shilohs are either bought 2 nd hand or ordered new from Shiloh. Last I knew only real exception from that Is Bill Goodman of Goodman's guns who has orders in for guns all the time that a guy can change the specs on until they go into production. Bill adds a $200 surcharge to the retail of the gun for the service of taking over one of his orders for a usually less than 8 month wait for the gun. Normal wait time is up to 24 months and any cost increase that happens over the retail of the gun + 11 % excise tax at delivery time.
Yup the op can measure his own twist and sure he can have Shiloh rebarrel it for $800+ for a lesser cart if he chooses. But at 12.5# and a 600 grain greaser with 90 gr of Fg should be not to bad on the recoil end. my 2 cts worth Magnum Man

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinLighten up MagnumMan, these guys are my "victims" grin Keep in mind that my First is a real Sharps,not a modern superbly executed Shiloh Sharps. Now I have my own Shiloh Sharps in 44/90 BN and the myth of my commission can be laid to rest grin Soon Too-Many-Letters might be dragged over to da Darkside and I only have ONE El Primo Victim left to get...Steve NO are you listening grin

[Linked Image]

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hye there Magnum man , beins you ain't out plowin snow for the holiday. How's about you right as a thread about that .440 diameter bullet you're patching for your 2 7/8?

ET braggin about having a 44-90 don't count unless you can actually proove you shoot the thing. grin

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MM ET's a cagey old fart and was NO DOUBT a Buffler hunter in a previous lifetime wink he wines and dines ya until you've taken his bait hook line and sinker which in turn causes you to inflict great financial pain on yourself!!!! cry laugh

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
grinLighten up MagnumMan, these guys are my "victims" grin Keep in mind that my First is a real Sharps,not a modern superbly executed Shiloh Sharps. Now I have my own Shiloh Sharps in 44/90 BN and the myth of my commission can be laid to rest grin Soon Too-Many-Letters might be dragged over to da Darkside and I only have ONE El Primo Victim left to get...Steve NO are you listening grin

[Linked Image]

Allright ET I'll lighten up and say case any you interested right now Bill goodman has a couple of 50's due any day now and cause he feels bad about the economy he is waiving the $200 surcharge on them. www.shiloh-ballard.com

ET a fine looking original 45 2 7/8" and your #3 ? 44-90 is a sweety looking outfit too. What dia. of ppb and kinda paper you use for that? and what brand a brass as long as its question thirty. Magnum man

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 11/23/11.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well fellers, for what it's worth, gettin' bit by the BPC bug evidently isn't terminal. I got bit back in '86, (that's 1986 for those of you thinking of some snide remark regarding my age....thank you very much...lol!), and I'm still among the vertical and breathing.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

Yeah, ET, I'm sliding down that slippery slope.

Been reading more about BPCR and had a chat with LBT on the phone earlier today about bullet molds.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't know lbt made any decent bpcr moulds.

www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This is gettin' really good.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

311 members (219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,706
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.