Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin grin grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Soon Too-Many-Letters might be dragged over to da Darkside and I only have ONE El Primo Victim left to get...Steve NO are you listening grin

]

sleepOh great another good rifle that'll get buried in the back of the closest for ten years or so then get sold, cuz it wasn't shot.... Hope it's something decent so someone might get a good buy on a "used" usable rifle...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
If he has a 1/22 twist in that .50 and uses rounds loaded by someone else he might get on a good day a basket ball size group @ 100 yards using them.

Last edited by Kurt71; 11/24/11.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
ColeYounger,

Take a trip to the shiloh forum and read the heck out of posts regarding the 50. You can learn a lot about what works-and what doesn't, and it will save you time and money in the meantime. That is what i did when I got my 50 2 1/2". I don't call it a 50-90, since I load it with 120 grains of Fg and use a 700 grain bullet from Montana Bullet Works. So...50-120-700? I could not get bullets under 600 grains to shoot as well as I wanted with the 1/22 twist. The 700 grain bullet I use is exactly the same as Lymans 457125-except bigger. It shoots and penetrates well. Search for some of my posts on the Shiloh Forum for results. Good luck with your new rifle!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sounds like my ".45-82", my .45-70 that pushes a 535 gr. paper patched Money bullet at about 1300 fps with 82 grs. of Swiss 1 1/2. Shoots very well out to 1000 yards.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Didn't know lbt made any decent bpcr moulds.

I don't know that they do.

I'm still in the info-gathering stage. I have a Marlin 1895 Limited III in .45-70 that I am interested in feeding something other than jacketed bullets.

ET's conversations about paper-patched slugs has me intrigued. ALMOST intrigued enough to order a Sharps... laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=160635&CAT=4121 This is a good bullet for the leverguns. There are a couple of 500 gr bullets that work well also, altho they just about work best when single fed thru the Marlin action.
Paper patching is a challenge, get your greasegroove bullet loading down pat first.

Not alot of need to order a sharps, Shiloh keeps a pretty good assortment ready to ship off the rack in the common cartridges, as does C Sharps.

Last edited by Ranch13; 11/26/11.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gents,ya have to keep in mind that I did the paper patch route for more than just historical reasons. I learned rather quickly that my old gun doesn't care much for grease groove slugs. I had a PP mold with the gun but it wasn't the best choice bullet weight. Anyhoo, paper patch is what my particular ancient rifle shoots so I had to figger it out. YMMV.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I have a Marlin 1895 Limited III in .45-70 that I am interested in feeding something other than jacketed bullets.

Manyletters . . . I've been using this bullet in my Marlin 1895CB 45-70. Lyman 457193/405gr RNFP cast from WW.

[Linked Image]

Recovered bullet on the offside of a 230# whitetail just under the skin, after going through shoulder, rib cage and offside shoulder.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ranch13
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=160635&CAT=4121 This is a good bullet for the leverguns. There are a couple of 500 gr bullets that work well also, altho they just about work best when single fed thru the Marlin action.
Paper patching is a challenge, get your greasegroove bullet loading down pat first.

Not alot of need to order a sharps, Shiloh keeps a pretty good assortment ready to ship off the rack in the common cartridges, as does C Sharps.

Thank you, sir!

You're correct about rack rifles...now, it's just about the money. laugh

As for it sitting in the safe, I don't own safe queens. grin As for recoil, I handloaded for my .458WM for several years until I switched to my .338WM as my primary rifle. I have quite a bit of experience loading grease-groove cast bullets for my .30 cal and up firearms, so it's not entirely new, but the paper-patched stuff is a whole new world that I want to get into. I think...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gents,ya have to keep in mind that I did the paper patch route for more than just historical reasons. I learned rather quickly that my old gun doesn't care much for grease groove slugs. I had a PP mold with the gun but it wasn't the best choice bullet weight. Anyhoo, paper patch is what my particular ancient rifle shoots so I had to figger it out. YMMV.

Big difference between those original rifles and their chambers, than with the modern versions, as I'm pretty sure you recall the trials that Jorge went thru trying to get his rifle to shoot, and I'm guessing that 44-90 has probably handed you your hat a couple of times already.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=APDDSN0864
You're correct about rack rifles...now, it's just about the money. laugh
Ed [/quote]

If you order a Shiloh, it's probably the easiest to afford rifle there is. You pickout what you want, place the order with your 250$ deposit, then you'll have a year to scrimp and save and rake together the money you need to finish paying it off, or you can send them a couple hundred when you get it toghether to put on your account. Then when you get the pay up or die letter stateing the gun is going into production, you've got it all taken care of. Then the 4-6 month wait begins,,,, and trust me it's a looooonnnggggg time. laugh

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, the 44/90 did reasonably well so far. Hand size group at 100 doesn't disappoint me. I already figgered the loading would have to be jiggered. I consider it fun stuff. The old gun drove me crazy for the longest time before I went to different bullets at a much heavier weight and started to play with the compression. Kurt gave me some info that is invaluable. The big 44 is quite a powerful gun. Can't wait to get it sighted on something BIG!

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It does occur to me that if one used a 600 grain slug over at least 100 grains of FFG in a 50, the recoil would be quite severe. Sorta atkin' all da fun outta letting go the next shot.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Indeed. My use for this gun will be fun shooting and hunting. I like to keep it fairly historical too-though I've been known to opt for smokeless to keep it clean. I don't have much desire to shoot a bullet that's a couple of hundred grains heavier than the normal originals were. 100 grains of Black doesn't sound too bad. 120 grains doesn't sound too good.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cole, good luck with that Big 50. It looks like your'e going to need it...

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I had a 40/70 bottleneck that shot lights out but you had to be sure to use a blow tube with the greased bullets to keep the fouling soft and still it would get hard to chamber a round after 4 shots without swabbing out at least the chamber. Paper patched was fun too.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It does occur to me that if one used a 600 grain slug over at least 100 grains of FFG in a 50, the recoil would be quite severe. Sorta atkin' all da fun outta letting go the next shot.
I've shot it several times and the recoil with the 450 grain lead over smokeless is not bad at all. I shot my .257 Weatherby (I dunno what that gun weighs, but it ain't light) right after shooting the Sharps the other day and the .257 kicked worse.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinAwww Man...letting one of the BIG rifles ROAR with BP and lead is the ONLY way ta travel grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I agree.I shot my 50 With 5744 smokeless.It just didnt seem right using that big case with a sprinkle of powder.I quickly switched to Black powder.I now shoot a RCBS 550GR bullet with a case full of Goex Cartridge or Swiss 1.5F It will hold about 95gr with that bullet pressed way in to the crimp groove.The recoil is stout but not horrible in the 14 lb rifle.I tried 777 a few shots one time.Never again!!Recoil was arse kicking painful and it wasnt that accurate.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 444Matt, Anaconda, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 8 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.