Print Thread
Hop To
J
jryoung Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I need to run a new flex line from out of the wall to my new stove. Coming out of the wall is a 1/2 male connector, but per mfg. suggestion the flex hose should be 3/4. So I got a 1/2 to 3/4 expander but my question is can I use the basic expander below with the "beveled" nose of the 1/2" male connector? Gas is LP if it matters.

[Linked Image]

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the bevaled male is made to seat against a fitting. personally I don't like it, and think you should put in a wood stove

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
J
jryoung Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
This is for my range (stove) already got a wood burning insert.

Seriously though, can it work? I realize it's meant to sit against a fitting, but they don't make them from 1/2 to 3/4 and I'd rather not replace what's on the wall.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if the thread pitch is correct, snug it up and use a soapy water solution to check for bubbles, a match will work but i wouldn't recommend it. wink but seriously i would check with soap. and i don't think it will work being a taperd end but i just don't know I have never messed with gas supply
However you are alreay reduced to 1/2 supply line so i don't understand increasing the size back up to 3/4 you won't gain much if anything in volume, but i guess it would reduce pressure

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NO! You are attempting to make a connection with incompatible fittings on a flammable fuel supply. Don't do it.

What you picture is a flare fitting type appliance connector with a running thread and a black iron (or malleable, if you prefer to call it that) reducing coupling. The black reducing coupling uses a tapered thread that, along with thread sealant, makes a gas tight connection. Take the time to get the right fittings and make a proper and safe connection.

Last edited by bruinruin; 11/18/11.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a no fly. You need pipe thread to pipe thread in order to seal. I believe you have a flare there.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe the reason they are telling you to go 3/4" on your flexible connector is because the corrugations of the flex line are restrictive to the flow of fuel.

I'm curious, how many BTU's is the appliance you are trying to connect?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Listen to Bruinruin, Flare fittings have NO taper in them and will not seal correctly. yes you may wrap enough teflon tape around it to give a temporary seal but it WILL eventually begin to leak. Common and dangerous mistake.

Last edited by wattsthis; 11/18/11.

Wattsthis
"All I'm say'n is don't get old. You'll live to regret it"
John Wayne Movie...The Train Robbers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JR, I sent you a PM.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You need a 1/2 male flare x 1/2 male pipe thread with into your 1/2 x 3/4 female pipe union. Then use a 1/2 x 12 flare swivel [looks like 2 flare nuts on short piece of copper tubing] to tie it together. Only tape tapered pipe thread and not flare fittings.

Wattsthis
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I even hate flex... Let alone cobbling together fittings that do not even speak the same language...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
all gas fittings should be tested to 100 psi ,what you have is an accident waiting to happen and take your house with it crazy sick ,listen to a quilified gas fitter cool

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

J
jryoung Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Sounds like the black pipe is my problem.

Would this be a better solution:
Go from my 1/2" flare to a 1/2" female flare swivel

[Linked Image]

Then get another flare that goes from 1/2" to 3/4" which will connect to 3/4" flex tube.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if your 3/4 flex tube has a female 3/4 pipe thread that should work,
i am not a quified fitter i have just done my own log house with LP gas with a qua fitter as backup,
remember LP gas runs at very low pressure but if tested to 100 psi should NEVER leak

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
"All gas fittings should be tested at 100 psi' is BS!!! Propane gas check is 10" water column for 10 min. Reason is 100 psi would blow the gas valves right off your range and destroy each gas control on each appliance. I am 1 of those "quilified gas fitters' or AS we like to refer to ourselves as 'certified'. The OP is working with an APPLIANCE connector which calls for 10" water column test [approx 6-7 psi]. Basic plumbing of house before appliance installation in construction can require higher psi testing if local building inspector requires it. When propane tanks are set at residence 10" WC @ 10min meets requirements.

Wattsthis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

yup but i tested befor hooking up to abunch of lights and fridge abd stove ,,your clarification is much appreciated and that is why i said a quified[certified ] fitter ,i left out an important part ,,
thank you for clarifing ,
norm

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This is the kind of stuff that gives me nightmares! I corrected this very mistake on a range not very long ago. How the man of the house had NOT burned the house down and killed him, his wife, and their toddler with the resulting leak, I will never know. If you don't know a bell reducer from a half union, then PLEASE get a professional!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
jr,
I work with gas also.
If you'd like to talk directly, you have my number.

DK

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (17CalFan, 320090T, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, 21 invisible), 1,241 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,980
Posts18,519,942
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.