Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I can understand the need to full length resize every case if brass is used in several chambers. But what is the down side to neck only? How does it become "banana" shaped? Thicker case wall on one side doesn't spring back at the same rate?

That is exactly what happens. grin

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kenneth
How many people are full length re-sizing? And how many people are only sizing necks?

Why is it recommended that beginners should do the full length re-sizing? Ken.

I full length when the fired case doesnt fit correctly in the chamber, ie; snug when I close the bolt, with my tactical 308 I just started neck sizing, but when it needs to be full length Ill FL size those brass. FL when loading for friends, always.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kenneth
WIN94, I'm trying to teach myself how to reload, via the internet.

Each manufacturer that sells dies/equipment states that beginners should full-length re-size,

I wish I didn't have to learn this way, but it is what it is.

So far, it appears most people full length re-size.

I'm just trying to line up the proper equipment and techniques.

When I try to partial size my 06 brass it wont fit in the chamber without forcing the bolt closed, I have to FL resize them everytime, some of my other rifles are the same way, 6mm and 223 are the exception, but I FL size them anyways, I found partial resizing my 6mm brass the necks split a lot sooner than Id like, that sux!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used the collet sizer in .30-'06, 8x57, and 303 British only, all for multiple rifles.

For the .30-'06 and 8x57 I haven't been able to detect a difference in accuracy. The first problem to show up while collet sizing is difficult extraction. No big deal on the range, but undesirealbe in the field. For both cartridges case life is a non-issue for me, because I have what is probably a life time supply. I get many .30-'06 cases from shooting issue ammunition at CMP matches, and make 8x57 from them.

The .303 British is a special case(isn't it always). I load this for a No. 4 and a P14. The No. 4 has a horribly misshapened chamber. Cases full lenght sized to fit its chamber shoot best. The neck sized cases mimic the chamber shape, but when fired the clocking doesn't match. The P14 I haven't loaded enough for to make a valid comparison.

In short, I use the collet die when I need something quick and dirty. When I need the most reliable or accurate ammunition it is the full lenght sizer.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Full length size any new to me brass (factory new brass or once fired brass from the guy on the bench next to me with factory ammo and tosses his brass); trim to spec; neck size the next 4 times; and toss the brass. If the brass came from factory ammo out of my gun, I'll trim to spec, neck size the next 4 times, and toss.

Consistency, Consistency, Consistency

Neck sizing allows me to take fire formed brass from my rifle (that has also been trimmed) and load ammunition with little to no head space issues. YMMV

There is also the published, tried and true method of Partial Full Length Sizing. For the cartridges that I don't load a lot of and so I don't have a NS, I just do a PFLS on the brass.

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,407
Posts18,528,023
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.