Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Is it acceptable to use the same cloth and cleaning solution for oakley sunglasses on brand new leupold scope and 30 year old ziss binos? Light dust and spotting from condensation. Nothing heavily soiled? Thanks.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would say so. I've been doing the same thing without issue for years. More recently I've been using Zeiss cleaner though. Most cleaning solutions are pretty mild and if it is made specifically for lenses, I'm would gather it would be designed for coated lenses.
Here's a video from US Optics' website, a little off topic, but... http://usoptics.com/video/cln1.wmv

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To even think of cleaning lenses through physical contact will cause damage to them. You have really blown it by going a step beyond thinking about it to actually speaking of it, thereby causing complete and irreparable damage. You might just as well go ahead at this point and rub them with sandpaper as the harm you do could not be any greater than that already visited upon them. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
May I ask how one would clean said lense without any physical contact? Do I wish them clean. And lucky me I haven't ever made any contact to the lenses of my new scope!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I used to wonder about keeping them clean. Now, I usually hope mine stay clean. Following a particularly dirty day in the field, I step it up to dreaming.

I knew a guy who touched his lenses... he voted for Obama.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Figures. If he touched his lenses his vision was obscured and he voted wrong. That goes down as a bad decision day. Poor guy.
Seriously!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear if you touch your lenses you'll go blind. Not for sure on that one....whistle

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd like to know that one too.
We get a discussion here every once in a while about this.
Blow off anything you can. Canned air is probably best for this.
I usually use a lense pen, either a Leupold or a Nikon. If I must, I use the capped smudge/smear remover. After a while, I replace it with a new lense pen.
This concern about degrading the coatings on the lense can apparently be comnpenstated for by buying optics with tough coatings. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rbodenburg529
Depending on the age of your loopie.
If it has MC4.
You have to be very careful with the cleaning as MC4 is a very light duty,delicate,optical coating.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Now, Dave, that's not accurate. All of them have delicate, light duty coatings with the exception of the super hard ones.
Leica apparently uses them on their binoculars as does Pentax on their ED binoculars. Cabela's is advertising a rifle scope with such coatings and Leupold has had it's very tough Diamond Coat Coatings for many years now. E

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
The scope is new this year. The SABR ultimate slam 3x9. So a lense pen is acctable physical contact? How about any solution for water spots?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I use air, then a camels hair optics brush, and then..

Cotton swaps and lens cleaner if needed. Will this damge your lenses? I don't really know. Its how the Zeiss rep taught us to clean the lenses on a Ziess Axiophot Microscope. Zeiss sold the swaps..but The cotton didn't look special.

One key question I have had was are the microscope lenses coated? I don't know, but one objective for that scope cost way more than a set of alpha binos.

I will be the first to admit that I don't use alpha binos..My current set are Vortex vipers, I teat them pretty poorly, Usually I wear them uncapped/unprotected in a bino harness, or a fleece bag in my pack. They get wet and dirty. In 5 years or so when they get really beat up.. I will probably buy another set.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Here is a link to the Zeiss optics cleaning directions. They make some reccomendations for cleaning solutions, wipes and swabs as well as technique

www.zeiss.com/industry/general_clean_microscope.pdf

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I start with a shirttail and end with paper towels.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I start with a shirttail and end with paper towels.

Oh, the humanity! smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
To even think of cleaning lenses through physical contact will cause damage to them. You have really blown it by going a step beyond thinking about it to actually speaking of it, thereby causing complete and irreparable damage. You might just as well go ahead at this point and rub them with sandpaper as the harm you do could not be any greater than that already visited upon them. wink

What about throwing binoculars in the dishwasher using the "gentle" cycle?

Would that work? No touchy the lensies. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fish head
Originally Posted by 5sdad

What about throwing binoculars in the dishwasher using the "gentle" cycle?

Would that work? No touchy the lensies. wink

I'm surprised that no one has come up with the idea of using their case polisher to clean scopes during the few minutes each day when it is not cleaning cases. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Walnut or corncob media?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dang, and I thought the little zeiss wipes were the cats azz....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fish head
Walnut or corncob media?

No, no, ... just compressed air and a few camel hair bristles. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 47 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,260
Posts18,504,811
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.