Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My son was holding his salmon yesterday while it bled out, and the warden wrote him up because he had not filled out his punch card yet.

My son is law abiding, he had already put 3 fish on his 5 fish punch card. He had it filled out as far as marking yesterday as a day he was fishing. He was actually looking for his pen when this warden walked up.

We did fill out a citizens complaint against this warden, but I suspect this is going to be typical American injustice. the Judge will listen to him and then give him the maximum fine. The warden will be told by his supervisors that he must be doing something right because the citizens are complaining about him.

What the hell has happened to this country anyway?

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hope your son can get things worked out but I think he is going to have to pay the fine and move on. He will know in his heart that his intent was pure.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Sorry to hear that things went sideways for your son. For some reason, the people we are hiring as peace officers these days, seem to have trouble with the appropriate application of discretion.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like over-stepping his bounds to me. I am not sure what was accomplished of a positive nature by writing this citation. (Was he wearing mirror sunglasses?)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Up here I mark my catch before resuming fishing, or even re-baiting. I'll bleed or gut and gill before putting on ice and before marking my catch but that is all done within a minute of landing.

How much time had passed between landing and bleeding?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
What the hell has happened to this country anyway?

Top Ten:
1. Kennedy's
2. Federal Reserve
3. United Nations
4. Liberalism
5. Congressional Retirement Pensions
6. Entitlement
7. Welfare
8. George Soros
9. Blue Gums in the White House
10. Illegal Immigration

But, don't get me started.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
my buddy caught a redfish a few weeks ago, he layed it down so he could get his tape measure from his tackle box. game warden walked up and gave him a ticket for a under size fish before he could even measure it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My son had spent less than two minutes before being cited. My son is about 140 pounds and this was a nearly 40 pound salmon. He was catching his breath and had slit the gills, he was was standing right where he landed it.

When I think of all the game we let walk away for petty reasons. The turkey I didn't shoot because I thought there was a house nearby. The deer we let go because we were not sure where the property lines were, or because we couldn't get far enough off the road due to brush. It is sickening.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Revenue enhancement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two minutes? The warden in this case is wrong, IMO.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Sorry to hear that things went sideways for your son. For some reason, the people we are hiring as peace officers these days, seem to have trouble with the appropriate application of discretion.

Amen about the discretion, although I'm sure it varies by individuals. This particular case sounds ridiculous to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
My son is law abiding, he had already put 3 fish on his 5 fish punch card. He had it filled out as far as marking yesterday as a day he was fishing. He was actually looking for his pen when this warden walked up.

Seems a friendly "son, nice fish but you need to punch that card first" from the warden would have been a most effective way to make a point and give your son a decent impression of the wardens. Now this single warden has tainted his profession in your son's eyes.

Shame really.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
as we say here in NJ,the Warden acted like a douchebag. now your son will look at wardens as if they are the enemy rather than a teammate in keeping hunting and fishing healthy.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by noharleyyet
Revenue enhancement.

Yep that is what it is all about now a days. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that you did the right thing by going ahead and filing a citizen's complaint. They may have a few on file for this guy already, and if not, perhaps he'll get a few more and something will be done about him. Small consolation, I know, but someone has to take the first step.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 700LH

Sure sounds that way to me.
There is always two sides to every story ( and the truth usually falls in between..)
But if explained to the judge, it sounds like he should get off.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a dik to me. frown

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Originally Posted by 700LH

Sure sounds that way to me.
There is always two sides to every story ( and the truth usually falls in between..)
But if explained to the judge, it sounds like he should get off.

This. Tell it to the judge. They aint all bad and sometimes use their judgment.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
With only the information given, I would:

File the complaint (done!)

Review the exact wording of the law - then, if reasonable -

Tell it to the judge (you only risk court costs in addition to the fine - which may go away. Maybe even get a lawyer.....

DO NOT just pay the fine and let it slide if you still feel justified.

If the law reads "immediatly on landing the fish" then get the judge to define "immediately" in concrete time terms - it may not help you, but will establish precedent.

If you win, file a follow-up complaint for the initial infraction, plus time off work, etc. And do point out the negativity of contact for his supervisor's benefit, as pointed out in a post above.

A letter to the editor might not be out of order either.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen
I think that you did the right thing by going ahead and filing a citizen's complaint. They may have a few on file for this guy already, and if not, perhaps he'll get a few more and something will be done about him. Small consolation, I know, but someone has to take the first step.

Done about him, because he wrote a citation on a violation? Most cases of complaints after a citation are looked at as the citizen was pissed and retaliated by filing a complaint.

The best thing is go to court and explain it to the Judge. The Judge can either concur with the GW or drop the charge or reduce the fee. You won't have to pay more by going to court.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.