Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Is there a book or video guide you guys would recommend for someone who hasn't cut up their own deer before. I have some friends who cut up their own wild game but I am a several hour drive from either one. I do have a cousin who is local who cuts his own but I would have a hard time wading through the B.S. for the several hours that I would have to be around him.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kentucky Afield has a nice video. Go to their site or Youtube.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

There is a book by Monte Burch called "Field dressing and butchering deer" that I found useful . Lots of video on youtube as well. Good luck . Mounatainjam

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some will tell you how to saw the bones. Don't bother. Remove all the bones and be done with it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Be a googlero.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bunch of info on the web, YouTube has some vids. Take a few notes and a beer and have at it.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
YouTube is your friend!

There is a four part series by a professional butcher (Willies Country Meats) that will guide you through the whole process. It's a really good way to start!

Here's part 1 ; Butchering a Deer Part 1

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Outdoor Life Books has a superb volume called "Field Dressing and Cooking Wild Game". It goes thru deer, pheasant, squirrel, etc, step by step with good photos.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like this video, he seems to be a pretty good butcher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw

Dave

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
YouTube is your friend!

There is a four part series by a professional butcher (Willies Country Meats) that will guide you through the whole process. It's a really good way to start!

Here's part 1 ; Butchering a Deer Part 1

Ed
Thanks

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Outdoor Life Books has a superb volume called "Field Dressing and Cooking Wild Game". It goes thru deer, pheasant, squirrel, etc, step by step with good photos.
I'll have to check it out.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Some will tell you how to saw the bones. Don't bother. Remove all the bones and be done with it.

What he said, if they tell you to cut through a bone, I'd question the rest of what they had to say as well-

F
F
http://www.hessvideo.com/seminars/index.htm

Bill's videos are pretty good.

"Remember, we're all in this together, and I'm pullin' for ya." - Red Green
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

What he said, if they tell you to cut through a bone, I'd question the rest of what they had to say as well-
+1 ......... bone free

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by GrosVentreGeorge

I believe this is the link at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_14?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=dressing+and+cooking+wild+game&sprefix=dressing+and+c

This isn't the Outdoor Life edition, but it's the same author. Another book on the same page, "Venison Cookery", is also good. I have both books in my kitchen and they contain a lot of great recipes for wild game in addition to showing you how to field dress and butcher a deer.

You should also look at Eileen Clarke's "A Slice of the Wild" book. Eileen is John Barsness's wife and a cookbook/hunting author of the first order. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book. It's one of the best overall books on game processing and cooking you'll find. You can order her book directly here:

http://www.riflesandrecipes.com/ind...ry&layout=blog&id=4&Itemid=6

Congratulations on choosing to process your own animal, BTW!!! I have only allowed a commercial meat processor to touch an animal I've killed twice in the past 20+ years, and both times they botched it. When I butcher my own meat, I know EXACTLY what cuts of meat I'm getting, how tender/tough the meat is, and most important, I know the meat has been cut and wrapped as cleanly as possible.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The ones by Larry Metz are really good.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Is there a book or video guide you guys would recommend for someone who hasn't cut up their own deer before. I have some friends who cut up their own wild game but I am a several hour drive from either one. I do have a cousin who is local who cuts his own but I would have a hard time wading through the B.S. for the several hours that I would have to be around him.

You making it far more complicated than it is!

Just dismember the individual muscles (very literally), being careful to cut off all connective tissue, fat, veins, anything dirty or dried out, and then cut into chops or small steaks - cutting across the grain and direction of the meat.

May not look like the beef at the supermarket, but cutting up a deer is EASY!

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G

I believe this is the link at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_14?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=dressing+and+cooking+wild+game&sprefix=dressing+and+c

This isn't the Outdoor Life edition, but it's the same author. Another book on the same page, "Venison Cookery", is also good. I have both books in my kitchen and they contain a lot of great recipes for wild game in addition to showing you how to field dress and butcher a deer.

You should also look at Eileen Clarke's "A Slice of the Wild" book. Eileen is John Barsness's wife and a cookbook/hunting author of the first order. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book. It's one of the best overall books on game processing and cooking you'll find. You can order her book directly here:

http://www.riflesandrecipes.com/ind...ry&layout=blog&id=4&Itemid=6

Congratulations on choosing to process your own animal, BTW!!! I have only allowed a commercial meat processor to touch an animal I've killed twice in the past 20+ years, and both times they botched it. When I butcher my own meat, I know EXACTLY what cuts of meat I'm getting, how tender/tough the meat is, and most important, I know the meat has been cut and wrapped as cleanly as possible.
Thanks, I tried to find the Outdoor Life book but Google and Amazon turned up zilch.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck

You making it far more complicated than it is!
I suppose I am, I tend to with anything I haven't done before. I hate not knowing where to start and I don't want to screw up the cuts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You won't. Do what Stubbleduck says...

Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
Just dismember the individual muscles (very literally), being careful to cut off all connective tissue, fat, veins, anything dirty or dried out, and then cut into chops or small steaks - cutting across the grain and direction of the meat.

The only thing I can add is that venison is much better aged than "green" and vacuum sealing it will make it less prone to freezer burn than wrapping or bagging.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 74 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,951
Posts18,499,053
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.