-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
How often do you anneal the necks of your shells and what method do you use?

GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
You can develop a feel to tell when the case is becoming work hardened when you resize using a FL sizing die. It will depend on the cartridge case and load as to the frequency. My 25-06 dictates I anneal more often than my smaller guns.

As to method, I use a Burns-O-Matic torch with a nut driver to hold the case. I do it by hand and rotate the case (neck/shoulder junction) in the flame until I see the brass change color. Don't overheat the case, it does not need to glow, that's too hot. If you try it you will see what I mean by changing color. It seems to work best in low light conditions.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by blackfly
How often do you anneal the necks of your shells and what method do you use?

When I start getting split necks when I seat bullets. I use the candle method described by Mule Deer, because it's easy and you can't overheat the brass.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+ 1 on the candle method. I used it when I started getting split necks on some brass after the 4-5th firing. Haven't had one since.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Every 3rd firing and use the Anneal-Rite.

http://www.cartridgeanneal.com/

Alan

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a propane torch spinning the cases in my fingers.

After 4 reloads I anneal. Hardened necks affect accuracy and you can measure the difference on paper. I've found the most accurate loads on the second firing after annealing.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
every 4th reload...torch on a propane tank with a Tree on it.. ( like used for camping..).. I am a pansy tho... I use a pair of needle nose pliers, instead of my fingers...

I hold it in the flame and count to 5 ( for 223) and then put it in a small metal container and let it air cool...

6 to 8 seconds for 22/250 and 243 and up...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you do it right, I understand that you can turn cartridge cases into gold. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
OK...I recently found my little torch during a basement cleaning and decided to give it a try. First attempt was some win 308 cases. Chucked the cases in a drill spinner. Put the neck near the blue tip of the flame and counted to 6 sec's. Didn't get the "blue" color I see so many talk about on internet videos. But did get a slight discoloration ring just down from the shoulder. Brass doesn't have that greyish appearance that the videos show either. Seems like the videos the guys are giving it about 10 seconds worth of heat.
Anyhow...I sized using a lee collet die and when seated they did feel like even tension all the way in. And, a couple that had some runnout corrected easier on my hornady runnout checker and pusher. So, did I do good or have to shoot for longer heat next time?

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
kraky,
That slight colour change is all that's required. You'll see better 'colour' if you polish the neck/shoulder with steel wool to have it bright and shiny, then do it in a room with good flat lighting.
Cheers...
Con

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run my brass through the vibrater-polisher brfore annealing.
I use a deep socket with a battery drill.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have found that with my flame, I use a second per milimeter of neck size, in that for
20 VarTarg = 5mm = 5 sec.
7 x 57 = 7mm = 7 sec.
404 Jeffery = 10.75mm = 10sec.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice setup VonGruff. I anneal every third firing, and I can tell a difference in the consistency of how the cases feel when pulling the expander button out of the case.

+1 on polishing the case before annealing. I also use a propane torch while spinning the case in a cordless drill. About 10 seconds, give or take, does it for me. That's highly dependent on flame temp, distance from the case, etc. I have a little metronome app for my iPhone that gives me a steady, audible "tick tock," and I use that to count while holding the cases in the flame. They all look the same, so I guess it works.

Chris
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VonGruff
I run my brass through the vibrater-polisher brfore annealing.
I use a deep socket with a battery drill.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have found that with my flame, I use a second per milimeter of neck size, in that for
20 VarTarg = 5mm = 5 sec.
7 x 57 = 7mm = 7 sec.
404 Jeffery = 10.75mm = 10sec.

Von Gruff.

Yes, nice set up indeed. Are the cases just loose fit in the sockets?

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tominboise

Yes, nice set up indeed. Are the cases just loose fit in the sockets?

An easy drop in fit. 10, 12, and 14mm are good sizes for the job. I cut the 3/8 bolts so that the OA length from neck of case to end of bolt is the same to facilitate using the jig with all case sizes. A piece of light leather with the bolt is a good fit in the drive end of the socket so it can still be returned to proper socket use if needed.

Some brass will colour to blue while other brands will just go a ash straw colour. The mistake is to over heat as it only takes 650 - 700 degrees to anneal. I just tip them into a steel bowl and air cool.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is it better to air cool or water cool?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Air cool as the case shouldn't get hot enough to need water cooling.And with air cooling there is no needing to dry cases afterward. I can carry on with other procedures about 10 minutes after finishing annealing.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use a propane torch and hold the case head in my fingers.
That way you won't anneal the head. Then I dip the mouth in
water. Some use a candle i can't argue with that. If you
overheat the head you are in for a bad suprise, and maybe
a new rifle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

312 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 27 invisible), 1,655 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,000
Posts18,481,252
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.