Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Toying with getting a upper bigger than a 223 that can do deer duty. I think a person can get uppers for 7.62x39 and that seems to perform slightly better than 6.8, but may have feeding issues.
Anyone try the SKS round in a AR?
Anything else I should consider? Why are 30 rem AR uppers so expensive?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
7.62x39 doesn't work well in a standard AR lower, the mags have to be straight to fit the magwell, this causes them not to feed properly. If you want a 30, go with the Blackout. I'm going with the 243LBC or maybe the 6mmWOA.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Blackout? who's is that?

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Consider the 6.5 Grendel also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take a Knee is dead-on about the 7.62x39 in the AR. Really, that is all the 6.8SPC is when compared to the 7.62 x 39, a reliably feeding AR cartridge with AK performance.

6.5 Grendel is a fine cartridge also (I think if you really compare, 6.5 Grendel appears to have more bullet choices), I had fully intended to go that route when a 6.8 barrel & bolt dropped into my lap last week, but you may also want to look at Midway USA and type in "6.8 spc barrel" or "6.5 Grendel barrel". Either option will bring up barrel/bolt combos in several lengths at very reasonable prices, when fully considered, and if you shop ammo at Cheaperthan dirt or Graf, you will find that 6.8 &6.5 compare very favorable with other big-game cartridges, cost wise

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only problem with the 7.62X39 in an AR is the magazines. Find a good one and your problems are solved. C-Products actually had a good one but since they are no more I wouldn't know where to look.

(Just thinking out loud here)
I wonder if the 6.5 Grendel mags would feed 7.62X39 rounds.

Terry

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have an Armalite complete rifle in 7.62x39. Over a K handloads and about 400 Cheap steel crap without any feeding/firing issues so far.
I also have a Grendel, ballistics out to about 200 yards they are the same, after that the Grendel has the advantage. The problem I have with the 6.5 Grendel is the availability of Hunting bullets. The Nosler BT sucks and explodes on impact and the Barnes TTSX is a little hard and may not expand properly at Grendel velocities. If I had to pick one over the other for Hunting inside 200 yards I would take the X39. Plus you can feed the hell out of it with cheap ammo if you wish.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
My nephew also has a 7.62x39 upper and has NEVER had an issue, granted he has not fired more than about 2500 rounds through it yet last time I checked. I"ve shot a bit of game including a yote with his, at a range I won't even print.... IE it works too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what is wrong with the .223? Hunters should pay more attention to the bullet than the head stamp on the cartridge case.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
what is wrong with the .223? Hunters should pay more attention to the bullet than the head stamp on the cartridge case.

Not a dang thing really. Pick the right projectile, limit the range and hit the right spot...... of course contrary to what I shouldn't probably say.... the 223 has been used by yours truly to almost 600 yards on whitetails with nary a failure. I dont' advocate it, but for picky knowledgable shooters.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had great success with the .223 W/ 62gn TSX's and 60gn Partitions. That said, I feel a little hemmed in by distance and wind at times. My confidence level is nowhere near Rost495's. There is nothing wrong with the .223 for deer. That said there is nothing wrong with the Grendel, SPC or 7.62X39 either. I think all offer a slight advantage over the .223 for hunting.

I'll be using both this year. I've never been a one gun hunter. wink

Terry

Last edited by TC1; 11/22/11. Reason: can't spell :^)

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H

Go into the deer hunting section and find a post with a title like "11 year old ????" and it shows a kid with a AR that shot a nice northern MN deer and I asked about the bullet & combination and the father described it and how he didn't have a blood trail for many yards. True it worked, but I want a little more performance and weight with a exit hole if I am going to buy a upper just for deer hunting.

Last edited by humdinger; 11/22/11.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Terry, I have the same 'affliction' smile

Indeed, a good 223 load is all you 'NEED' but a 6.5 is what I'd choose if I was starting from scratch.

It's not difficult. Good bullet - thru vitals = SUCCESS!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 6.8 SPC is about as good as it gets in the AR-15 Platform. Never been a big fan of the Russian Round

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought a Bushmaster 7.62x39 upper because I have a boatload of ammo that I can shoot out of it and my AK's, and I've always been intrigued by the idea. I also had great curiosity about accuracy in the AR/AK with the same ammo.

What the previous posters have said concerning feeding is correct, unless you can find good magazines. I bought 20 of the C Products mags from 44Mag, and they have all worked flawlessly. I hadn't heard that they had gone under, and am sorry to hear that they have.

The accuracy of 7.62x39 upper with Sako ball ammo is on the order of 2 MOA, and Russian ammo of any stripe-Wolf, Silver Bear etc. is twice+ that. Lot's of flyers. I'm sure that handloads with better components can improve both of those results substantially. They always do in my 5.56 uppers. I have some Barnes .311 TSX's that I really want to try on deer, but other things have gotten in the way of working up a good load.

So far the accuracy comparison between my AK's and the AR platform have borne out what has been said, i.e. that the tighter tolerances of the AR beat the AK IRT accuracy hands down. Since I haven't buried either my AR's or my AK's in mud and/or sand to test reliability, and have no intentions of doing so, I will say that the reliability of both is equal, at least on the range. How they would hold up at a shooting school, match, or other high volume venue I can't say, as I haven't used my AK for any of the above. My match AR has held up well, but in 5.56, not 7.62x39.

IMO, if you can find a reasonably priced upper, less than $500, in 7.62x39 with some good magazines, it might be worth the effort and cost. If not, then the 6.8 SPC or the 6.5 Grendel would be better options, but magazines might be an issue in both.

Like Rost said, the 5.56/.223 with a good bullet and proper placement will do the trick nicely, and Nosler makes a 60 gr Partition that is made for just that purpose. If deer hunting is the goal, that would probably be a better solution. If you don't handload, the money that you would have spent on the 7.62x39 (or other) upper and magazines might be spent more wisely on handloading equipment that will allow you to use your existing equipment better. If you already handload, that's the avenue I would take-unless you just want a 7.62x39 upper to have one.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by humdinger

Go into the deer hunting section and find a post with a title like "11 year old ????" and it shows a kid with a AR that shot a nice northern MN deer and I asked about the bullet & combination and the father described it and how he didn't have a blood trail for many yards. True it worked, but I want a little more performance and weight with a exit hole if I am going to buy a upper just for deer hunting.

I've shot more than a few deer that didnt' have a blood trail for many yards... it doesn't always have to do with the round.. couple of those have been 338 win mag, and one deer that went almost 150-200 yards and NEVER left a drop of blood that we ever found, even though we found the path of the bullet through the brush after the shot, was shot with a 50 bmg... so much for caliber thoughts eh?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bea175
The 6.8 SPC is about as good as it gets in the AR-15 Platform. Never been a big fan of the Russian Round
DUnno about that one... could be argued by far... 6.5/264lbc types... ain't a shabby round though when it comes right down to it. It was a total waste of time as a combat round IMHO.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rost495

I've shot more than a few deer that didnt' have a blood trail for many yards... it doesn't always have to do with the round.. couple of those have been 338 win mag, and one deer that went almost 150-200 yards and NEVER left a drop of blood that we ever found, even though we found the path of the bullet through the brush after the shot, was shot with a 50 bmg... so much for caliber thoughts eh?

Not turning this into a "caliber selection" thread. My preferred AR gun would be a 308 AR-10, but I don't want to buy one and see what I can do with my un-mated AR15 lower I have.
My PREFEENCE is for a larger caliber round than 223 because not all shots are perfect and I like a little more weight for the angle shots that come up. I have a 223 AR I can try if I like, but I am looking for a reason for a different uppr on my other lower. I KNOW you can pop a deer with a 22 LR, but I feel more comfortable with a larger bullet and thats my preference as a consumer and hunter making humane shots.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

it worked....Here is the 10 point I shot this year. He was in full rut, swollen neck, cut up from a fight, chasing a doe, he ran maybe 30 yards after the shot and left a blood trail that I could follow. Complete pass thru. The 11 year old's deer was a big 8 and he caught both shoulders, I am surprised that deer ran at all.

I am sticking with the 5.56 and either the 53 grain TSX or 62 grain TSX they work fine. [Linked Image]

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shot a 10 point at 170 yards a few years ago with a 308 150gr NBT. If I didn't see him fall a 100 yards away, I would have thought I missed, no blood and he didn't do nothing but run with his tail up.
My cousin's wife dropped a 10 point this year with her 223 AR, 55gr V-max didn't even wiggle.

As stick says, it's all about the bullet. But I'll add, and where you place that bullet.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
gentlemen,
This is not a "caliber selection doesn't matter" thread or a "its the indian not the arrow" thread.
I personally feel more comfortable shooting a bullet that is 100% heavier than than the typical 223 load because it fits my requirements and preference stated in my origional post.
I'm looking to you AR enthusiest to compare a 6.8 against the SKS round or if there is more choices out there since I last looked at AR options. Not being a handloader keeps me to off the shelf stuff and I object to buying really expensive premium bullets to make lighter designs work.
Respectfully yours,
Humdinger

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
your thread started 6.8 vs 7.62 x 39 vs ???,

I guess we know now that the vs ??? was anything other than the 5.56, typical I guess.

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In KS the minimum bullet size for deer is 24 cal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
that is a good point, maybe where he lives as well.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
gentlemen,
This is not a "caliber selection doesn't matter" thread or a "its the indian not the arrow" thread.
I personally feel more comfortable shooting a bullet that is 100% heavier than than the typical 223 load because it fits my requirements and preference stated in my origional post.
I'm looking to you AR enthusiest to compare a 6.8 against the SKS round or if there is more choices out there since I last looked at AR options. Not being a handloader keeps me to off the shelf stuff and I object to buying really expensive premium bullets to make lighter designs work.
Respectfully yours,
Humdinger

YOu have a lot bigger deer there than we do down here, but I"ve shot more than a few does that were around 150 pounds live weight, at give or take 300 yards with the 223 and 62tsx... Shot them facing me for tests. Never caught a bullet to this day. That says enough for me.

OTOH if I"m trophy hunting, where I don't want to have to pass any shot given, if the buck of a lifetime comes along, I won't be carrying a 223.... I'll be with you on rounds, but actually probably ahead of you as it won't be any smaller than my 7x300 wtby and probably more along the lines of 300 wtby or 338 Win... just in case. Even though I'm convinced the 223 would probably suffice.

Where I'm just meat hunting and if I get a shot I don't like, I can walk away from it, then while I have other rounds and take various guns out, the 223 is alwyas on the go to list along with a 6.8 necked to 6mm....

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Getting the right answers often depends on asking the right questions...

Answer, there ain't a nickles worth of difference between all of them (6.8, 6.5, 7.62x39). Pick your poison and put a good bullet in the right spot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
TN the 223 is legal for Deer but in Virginia it must be 23 or larger

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TWR

Answer, there ain't a nickles worth of difference between all of them (6.8, 6.5, 7.62x39). Pick your poison and put a good bullet in the right spot.

Good point! Cept for the price and availability of factory ammo. Grendel is non-existent on the shelves, 6.8 is pretty scares as well. 7.62x39 has the most off the self options for hunting rounds with the added attraction of cheap surplus or foreign ammo.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H

I guess we know now that the vs ??? was anything other than the 5.56, typical I guess.

Hey - I resemble that remark! If you read my post you would have seen I wanted to something larger than 223....

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by TWR

Good point! Cept for the price and availability of factory ammo. Grendel is non-existent on the shelves, 6.8 is pretty scares as well. 7.62x39 has the most off the self options for hunting rounds with the added attraction of cheap surplus or foreign ammo.

Ding Ding Ding!
Someone caught it.
6.8 is one I can find though.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never did do well with riddles... grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R

Hey - I resemble that remark! If you read my post you would have seen I wanted to something larger than 223....

Oh knowing him, he got it alright, he was just trying to tell you cool if you want it, but its not really needed typically.

But if not for wanting something just because, I guess I could have a much smaller safe....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6.8 is the answer for you.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
And I'd personally take the 7x62x39 every last time. Just goes to show.....

Only reason though because of cheaper ammo available just because... I have no qualms with the 7.62 out to 300 yards either, I don't know that I'd push the 6.8 farther than that.

Kind of a wash in one way. And if a .224 bullet isn't big enough for some, why stop at .277 when .308 or .311 is there?

Of course my real opinion is if one had an upper for every caliber that the AR15 could handle, that would be close to enough to have fun with....375BR is still nagging my head...

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Gentlemen,
New developments -
Found a copy of Shooting times that has articles on the 6.8 and the grendel and I am reading their research. As with any magazine article, you look in the advertisers index to see who they are being paid off this month.

On another note - I am preparing for a black friday run over to sportsmans guide retail location to get some items and I searched under "6.5" to see if they have some cheap ammo for my swede and they do ($19 for wolf goldline), but what shocked me is they have wolf goldline 6.5 grendel ammo for $15 and the remington 6.8 ammo is $27... I may have to do more research between the 6.5 versus 6.8 because I was leaning toward 6.8, but the grendel has a edge with potentially cheaper ammo... hmmm...

Thanks for the input on the 7.62 and it sounds hit & miss. Not too many oddballs like the Olympic rounds came out which amazed me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was deciding between the 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel and went 6.8. The deciding factor for me was using a 16" barrel. From what I read, the 6.8 was designed for a short barrel and a longer barrel gives relatively little gain. If I was looking to use a longer barrel and shoot longer distance than I would have gone with the 6.5. My 6.8 upper has done the job so far.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The Wolf Grendel ammo sucks and is riddled with pressure and chambering issues. Don't base you new rifle/chamber on POS ammo.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
He's talking about the 300 AAC Blackout, or the 7.62x35. A good choice for the handloader, a terrible one if you're not. I get about 2250-2300 fps with 125 grain Sierras which is about the same as the '39, a little less actually. Thing is, the '39 uses bullets that are .311 in diameter and there are not many choices in configuration or weight.

I make my own brass from .223's, it's very easy to do with a pipe cutter, case trimmer, and a full length sizer die. The upper I got is a CMMG with a 1-8 twist that I spent about $550 on and seems to be a very good unit so far. With 180 grain and up bullets you have the subsonic option available, but with mine anyway the only things that will not go thru the target sideways at 100 yards are Sierra Matchkings.

Good luck finding factory loads in this cartridge; all I've seen advertised are subs for about $1.25 a round. Since it's adoption by SAMMI this may change but who knows how long it will take for such ammo to appear.

I feel the .300 is a very good short to medium range cartridge that has the advantage of suppressed subsonic capability. I'd not try to take a shot at more than 300 yards on game with it.

Blah blah yak yak I seem to have gotten windy here sorry.

Si vis pacem para bellum
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Toying with getting a upper bigger than a 223 that can do deer duty. I think a person can get uppers for 7.62x39 and that seems to perform slightly better than 6.8, but may have feeding issues.
Anyone try the SKS round in a AR?
Anything else I should consider? Why are 30 rem AR uppers so expensive?

In my experience the 7.62X39 doesn't out perform the 6.8. I have shot both and I still have a 6.8 and have been rather impressed with its destructiveness for lack of a better term

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 6.8 SPC & the 7.62x39 pretty much fire a bullet at the same velocity as the venereable old 30-30, or thutty-thutty, as they say 'round here. Difference being that you are using pointed modern bullets. Do not let this dissuade you either way, as it is fine round and was once though of as the 'super-hot' cartridge of it's day, and I am sure that hundreds of thousands of deer taken with the thutty-thutty in the 100+ years of it's existence would stand as mute testimony to how useful it is.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The 6.8is about 200+ FPS faster than a 30-30

Manufacturer: Silver State Armory

Manufacturer Part No: SSA10072-110BARNES-TAC

Ballistic Coefficient: 0.323

Muzzle Velocity (fps): 2650

Muzzle Energy (ft-lb): 1717

100 Yards (inches): 2.9

200 Yards (inches): 0.0

300 Yards (inches): -9.6

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well not exactly, a 110gr bullet in the 6.8 @ 2650 isn't a fair comparison but let's look at a 125gr NBT at 2350fps only out of a 14" contender for the 30-30.

Like bullet weights and barrel lengths and there ain't a nickles difference. Seems like I've said that before...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

liKE BULLET WIEGHTS? They aren't like cailbers so no let's not use a 125 grain and if you insist then I'll drop down to a lighter bullet in the 5.8 tht goes 3000 FPS

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My point was let's use same weight bullets in both...

Saying the 110 gr bullet goes faster than a 150gr bullet is obvious? The 6.8 has nothing on either the 7.62x39 or the 30-30 except a good dose of advertising and those who want to believe.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Have you used one? I didn't think much of the 6.8 until I started using one. The same bullet weight in different calibers for comparison is apples to oranges.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've used a 30-30 quite a bit as a kid and of course it did it's job. Never busted a 6.8 cap but I do have a buddy with one and he's not that impressed with it. I've no doubt it'll kill deer and pigs just like the 30-30 and there's nothing wrong with that but it's not a giant killer, it does however fit in an AR-15 magazine and that is a giant plus.

You made the comparison here "The 6.8is about 200+ FPS faster than a 30-30" with a 110gr bullet vs a 150? Talk about apples and oranges.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The 6.8 was designed around a 110/115 grain bullet the 30/30 was designed around 150/170 grain bullets I'd call that Apples to apples, but in you want to drop a wieght in the 30/30 in order to compare velocities then it is only fair toalso drop weight in the 6.8

Don't know what loads your buddy is shooting in his 6.8, but the size of wounds channels that I have havebeen impressive. The 30/30 will also create impressive wound damage even thou it is 200+ FPS slower than the 6.8

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hornady Leverlution ammo 140 gr 2465fps

1889 muzzle energy 850 @ 300 yards

+3" 100 yards -12.40" @300 yards

Not a nickles difference...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Todd at Noveske seems to think the 6.8 for hunting is a good deal more than the .223. Personally to me the trade off is just not there yet, but of course as all things firearm related it interests me. I am just not convinced that the difference is as real to the animal as it is in our minds. We humans "perceive" that if lung tissue is blown out the other side that the gun is far deadlier than the deer that dies in the same manner while producing a modest blood trail and that runs about the same distance when shot with a 5.56. I have no worries shooting an animal with my crossbow with a good broad head, it kills them just as well, so put me down as a bit skeptical but not closed on the 6.8 subject.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I was sceptical at first, but wanted to try one frist hand. I am glad that I did because I realy like mine

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Anyone that thinks a 7.62x39 has the same performance as a 6.8spc, with same barrel length and bullet weight is smoking something.

We've been down this road before and the actual performance isn't even remotely close. Maybe at 50 yards, but that is like saying Bubba is just as strong as Mike Tyson......

at crushing a beer can in his eye socket after 10 beers.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by TWR
My point was let's use same weight bullets in both...

Saying the 110 gr bullet goes faster than a 150gr bullet is obvious? The 6.8 has nothing on either the 7.62x39 or the 30-30 except a good dose of advertising and those who want to believe.

About as close to an apples to apples comparison as you're going to get.

20%+- differences are pretty significant in the ballistics arena.

From the last time this silliness came up:

6.8spc 110gr Barnes TSX 2600fps; 100 yd zero

200 yards - 1060 lbs energy; 4.9" drop; 4.7" drift @ 10mph
300 yards - 835 lbs energy; 17.9" drop; 11.3" drift @ 10mph

7.62x39 123 Barnes TSX 2300fps; 100 yd zero

200 yards - 830 lbs energy; 7.2" drop; 6.9" drift @ 10mph
300 yards - 619 lbs energy; 25.9" drop; 16.9" drift @ 10mph

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Anyone that thinks a 7.62x39 has the same performance as a 6.8spc, with same barrel length and bullet weight is smoking something.

We've been down this road before and the actual performance isn't even remotely close. Maybe at 50 yards, but that is like saying Bubba is just as strong as Mike Tyson......

Interesting comment. Lets look at some load data for each.
Hornady #7.
110gr V-Max.
7.62x39 Max velocity=2600fps, 20 inch barrel.
6.8 SPC Max velocity=2600fps, 16 inch barrel.
Using Quickload and reducing the 20" x39 barrel to 16 inch we get 2516fps. Within 100fps.

Hornady #7
130gr SP
7.62x39 Max velocity=2400fps, 20 inch barrel.
6.8 SPC Max velocity=2300fps, 16 inch barrel.
Reducing the x39 barrel to 16 inches we get 2298fps, within 2fps.

Using a ballistic calculator, both rounds zeroed at 100 yards, 110gr V-Max.
100 yards.
7.62x39=0.00 inches, 2239fps, 1224fpe
6.8 SPC=0.00 inches, 2375fps, 1377fpe
200 yards.
7.62x39=-5.48 inches, 1977fps, 955fpe
6.8 SPC=-4.73 inches, 2161fps, 1141fpe

300 yards
7.62x39=-19.89 inches, 1735fps, 736fpe
6.8 SPC=-16.83 inches, 1959fps, 937fpe

130gr SP
100 yards
7.62x39=0.00 inches, 2039fps, 1015fpe
6.8 SPC=0.00 inches, 2110fps, 1087fpe

200 yards
7.62x39=-6.86 inches, 1795fps, 787fpe
6.8 SPC=-6.23 inches, 1928fps, 908fpe

300 yards
7.62x39=-24.75 inches, 1575fps, 606fpe
6.8 SPC=-21.96 inches, 1758fps, 755fpe.

Looks pretty close to me. 3 inch difference in drop at 300 yards, I would call that kinda close and I haven't smoked anything.

Last edited by steve4102; 11/28/11.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Your numbers are pure fantasy BS. I'd call it science fiction, but there's no science to what you threw out there. laugh

Let's take this little nugget and rub the gold paint off of it...

200 yards
7.62x39=-6.86 inches, 1795fps, 787fpe
6.8 SPC=-6.23 inches, 1928fps, 908fpe

There is no way in hell that a bullet, with a considerably lower BC, will only drop 10% less, traveling 13% slower.

You completely ignored BC and STILL came up 200fps shy.

Using the data you provided, but the actual BC for the 110gr .308 VMax, your drop is only off by oh...7 INCHES and your claimed FPS is off by 240 FPS.

Using a ballistic calculator, both rounds zeroed at 100 yards, 110gr V-Max.
100 yards.
7.62x39=0.00 inches, 2239fps, 1224fpe
6.8 SPC=0.00 inches, 2375fps, 1377fpe
200 yards.
7.62x39=-5.48 inches, 1977fps, 955fpe
6.8 SPC=-4.73 inches, 2161fps, 1141fpe

300 yards
7.62x39=-19.89 inches, 1735fps, 736fpe
6.8 SPC=-16.83 inches, 1959fps, 937fpe

Go find some actual tested data or better yet, actual factory data, as I provided, and we'll talk.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I did not ignore the BC. I used the BC listed in the Hornady manual.
.277, 110gr V-Max=.370
.308, 110gr V-Max=.275

.277, 130gr SP=.460
.308, 130gr SP=.295

I used Point Blank software and QuickTarget.

You are right about one thing, the Hornady data is more fiction that fact. A max load of AA 1680 (29.5gr) with 110gr bullet actually is closer to 2700fps out on an 18 inch barrel. My hunting load is 29.5gr 1680 with 110gr Barns TTSX, my test results are on par with Accurate Powders, just under 2700fps.

Steve,

We suggest the following.

Caliber: 7.62x39 Russian.

Barrel length: 18�

Powder: Accurate � 1680�.

Bullet weight: 110 grains.

Start load: 26.1 grains (ca 1325 Fps)

Maximum load: 29.5 grains (ca 2675 Fps) LD ca 100%.

NOTES:

It� important to note that SAFETY is our prime concern therefore we strongly recommend.

1. ALWAYS BEGIN LOADING AT THE RECOMMENDED MINIMUM �START� LOAD and develop loads in 2% increments towards the MAXIMUM load.

2. If possible, measure the velocity and correlate with our data.

Regards
Johan Loubser
Ballistician
Ramshot.Accurate.Powders
WesternPowdersInc.Miles City.Montana.
www.ramshot.com
www.accuratepowder.com

www.montanaxtreme.com
www.blackhorn209.com

Reduce the 18 inch barrel to 16 inches and we get 2613fps.

110gr V-max.
200 yards
7.62x39=-4.98 inches 2060fps
6.6 SPC=-4.73 inches 2161fps

300 yards
7.62x39=-18.10 inches 1810fps
6.8 SPC=-16.83 inches 1959fps
a difference of 1.27 inches.

You are right, actual tested data is better, shows the 7.62 x39 is even closer to the 6.8 than I thought.
Thanks.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Advertisng and those who want to believe...

Please note that in all this "silliness" I never said the 6.8 was not a good round, even said it was a good fit for an AR-15 but it is not a giant killer. Does anyone else remember Ruger advertising the 7.62x39 in it's Mini 30 as a modern day 30-30?

Like I said, not a nickles difference.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Got a 30-30 load to match this one?

...............................................MV.......300Yd Vel
6.8 SPC 85gr Barnes TSX TACTICAL 0.246- 3000FPS- 1708FPS 2.3- 0.0-7.8

http://www.ssarmory.com/ballistics.aspx

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the 85 and 95 grain TSX loads in the 6.8 are the ones that are interesting.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

They have proven to be good killers on game. The Military has found the 6.8 to be extremely effective to 400 yards or so but beyound 400 to 1000 the 6.5 Grendal has been more effective

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by TWR
Advertisng and those who want to believe...

Please note that in all this "silliness" I never said the 6.8 was not a good round, even said it was a good fit for an AR-15 but it is not a giant killer. Does anyone else remember Ruger advertising the 7.62x39 in it's Mini 30 as a modern day 30-30?

Like I said, not a nickles difference.

I guess in some people's worlds, 20% differences aren't worth a nickel. I'm sure you would be fine with a 20% pay cut or a 20% increase on your mortgage.

You claimed:

"The 6.8 has nothing on either the 7.62x39"

That claim is pure garbage. If we're going to debate cartridges and ballistics, there has to be some intellectual honesty.

To claim a 25.9" drop at 300 yards is no different than a 17.9" drop at 300 yards or a 7.9" drop at 200 yards is "same same" as a 4.9" drop at 200 yards, defies common sense.

You go hold on a buck at 17.9" at 300 yards and when you see it hit 8" low in the dirt and the buck run off to the next county, you can tell us all about there being "no difference".

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I did not ignore the BC. I used the BC listed in the Hornady manual.
.277, 110gr V-Max=.370
.308, 110gr V-Max=.275

.277, 130gr SP=.460
.308, 130gr SP=.295

I used Point Blank software and QuickTarget.

You are right about one thing, the Hornady data is more fiction that fact. A max load of AA 1680 (29.5gr) with 110gr bullet actually is closer to 2700fps out on an 18 inch barrel. My hunting load is 29.5gr 1680 with 110gr Barns TTSX, my test results are on par with Accurate Powders, just under 2700fps.

Steve,

We suggest the following.

Caliber: 7.62x39 Russian.

Barrel length: 18�

Powder: Accurate � 1680�.

Bullet weight: 110 grains.

Start load: 26.1 grains (ca 1325 Fps)

Maximum load: 29.5 grains (ca 2675 Fps) LD ca 100%.

NOTES:

It� important to note that SAFETY is our prime concern therefore we strongly recommend.

1. ALWAYS BEGIN LOADING AT THE RECOMMENDED MINIMUM �START� LOAD and develop loads in 2% increments towards the MAXIMUM load.

2. If possible, measure the velocity and correlate with our data.

Regards
Johan Loubser
Ballistician
Ramshot.Accurate.Powders
WesternPowdersInc.Miles City.Montana.
www.ramshot.com
www.accuratepowder.com

www.montanaxtreme.com
www.blackhorn209.com

Reduce the 18 inch barrel to 16 inches and we get 2613fps.

110gr V-max.
200 yards
7.62x39=-4.98 inches 2060fps
6.6 SPC=-4.73 inches 2161fps

300 yards
7.62x39=-18.10 inches 1810fps
6.8 SPC=-16.83 inches 1959fps
a difference of 1.27 inches.

You are right, actual tested data is better, shows the 7.62 x39 is even closer to the 6.8 than I thought.
Thanks.

Show me a factory load pushing a 110 gr bullet in the 7.62x39 at 2675fps.

Or at minimum, show me a respected load manual showing that type of performance.

No one, not Accurate, not Hornady, not Hodgdons not a single ammunition manufacturer shows a load remotely close to what you're claiming, but we're supposed to use stated, known 6.8spc load specs, while comparing them to fantasy personal load claims?

Two can play this game...

Here's a load for the 6.8SPC listed in the 6.8spc FAQ on AR15.com:

18" WOA bbl 110gr VMax 30.5gr H322

2790fps

@300 yards:

2098fps 14.2" drop

Your claimed load @300yds:

1793fps 17.8" drop.

Even the hottest unproven 7.62x39 load claim the world has ever seen, falls short by a difference of 305 FPS and a 3.6" drop.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I know for a fact that shooting the 2 side by side (6.8 & 7.62X39) that the 6.8 creates the most damage Enough difference that I'll take it. The 6.8 shoots noticeable flatter as well

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Flat is not an issue these days... I run my 308s way on out there... never been an issue.

Wind drift is the big issue. And I'll take less wind drift over more wind drift anyday if I'm being picky.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW whats better the 270 or the 06? Neither, its the 280... AI....grins

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
its a matter of preference or need and the trade offs have to be weighted to gain more power in the 6.8.

Me I do see more power in the 6.8 but all together as a package I relish cheap ammunition to practice with, interchangeability of parts, a very very well understood bullet delivery system, KISS as a way of life (me I would stick my 6.8mag in the 5.56 and miss the deer). Then I am happy with the ability of the 5.56 to kill with good bullets.

The 7.62 x 39 is yet another well known well understood system with tons of inexpensive practice ammunition, to me this weights heavily in a decision. Show me something I cannot kill with a 5.56 and a 62 grain TSX under 200 yards and then you have sold me on a 6.8!

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

Got a 30-30 load to match this one?

...............................................MV.......300Yd Vel
6.8 SPC 85gr Barnes TSX TACTICAL 0.246- 3000FPS- 1708FPS 2.3- 0.0-7.8

http://www.ssarmory.com/ballistics.aspx

Remember the 30-30 Accelerators? grin

LOL, you guys can skew numbers any way you like, hey don't forget Remingtons claim of 2850fps with a 115gr bullet, that'll make it look real good. Fact is I'll still do everything I want to do with my 223, when I need more I'll step up to the 308 Winchester. Same as the military, btw, I'd sure like to see some AAR's on the 6.8spc and 6.5 in combat. What was that, the 6.8 up to 400 yards and the 6.5 from there out to 1000 yards? And here I thought they used meters...

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

They have proven to be good killers on game. The Military has found the 6.8 to be extremely effective to 400 yards or so but beyound 400 to 1000 the 6.5 Grendal has been more effective

Oh yes here it is...

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These threads are fun to read once (if any) useful information is extracted.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh it's all in fun, someone here has an avitar that reads "your favorite caliber sucks" pretty much sums it up.

Truth is with today's bullets, they all work.

I do like the 6.8 cause it combines all the best of these smaller-medium calibers into an AR-15 platform that runs well.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TC1
These threads are fun to read once (if any) useful information is extracted.

and....so it goes... smile

no problemo for me regards what folks hunt with, the only ones that get me are the "this is the only way to do it" folks...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No one, not Accurate, not Hornady, not Hodgdons not a single ammunition manufacturer shows a load remotely close to what you're claiming, but we're supposed to use stated,

Sorry, maybe you missed where I got my data from. If you read what you just quoted you will see that it is an email response from Johan Loubser head Ballistician at Accurate/Ramshot/Western Powders. Now before you get even more angry and call me a liar(again) maybe you should call him or send him an email and find out what his load data for the 110gr bullet in the 7.62x39 actually is. Then when your done, you can come back here and call him a liar also.

As for my other data, it comes straight from Hornady #7 page 538. Lists a max charge of AA 1680(28.5gr) running at 2600fps.

This is from Guns/Ammo note the 110gr bullet data. Cool Ain't it?
Code
 7.62x39 LOAD DATA
Bullet	Bullet Weight (gr.)	Powder	Primer	Case	Starting Load (grs.)	Maximum Load (grs.)	Max. Muzzle Velocity (fps)
Hornady FMJ	90	Alliant 2400	Federal 210	Winchester	18.0	21.01	2,850
Hornady FMJ	90	Vihta Vuori N110	Winchester LR	IMI	19.0	22.0	2,880
Hornady FMJ	90	Hodgdon H110	CCI 200	Winchester	19.0	22.5	2,860
Hornady RN	110	Accurate 1680	Federal 210	IMI	23.0	28.0	2,770
Hornady RN	110	Norma N 200	Winchester LR	Winchester	22.0	26.5	2,550
Sierra Spitzer Pro-Hunter	125	Accurate 201 5BR	CCI 200	IMI	24.0	27.0	2,250
Sierra Spitzer Pro-Hunter	125	Vihta Vuori N120	Federal 210	Winchester	21.0	25.0	2,450
Sierra Spitzer Pro-Hunter	125	RS X-Terminator	Winchester LR	IMI	25.0	30.0	2,350
Nosler Ballistic Tip	125	Alliant R1-7	CCI 200	Winchester	22.0	26.0	2,425
Nosler Ballistic Tip	125	IMR 4227	Federal 210	IMI	19.0	22.5	2,375
Barnes Triple Shock	130	Hodgdon H4198	Winchester LR	Winchester	22.0	25.5	2,450
Barnes Triple Shock	130	Norma N-201	CCI-200	IMI	24.0	28.0	2,275
Speer HP	130	RS TAC	Federal 210	Winchester	26.0	30.0	2,350
Speer HP	130	Winchester 296	Winchester LR	IMI	14.0	18.0	2,2

I found the link to this G&A data. Note they used a 23 inch barrel. Drop that to a 16 inch to compare to the 6.8 barrel tested and we come up with 2600fps. Right on with the 6.8/Hornady data.

link.
http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/the-762x39?page=2

Last edited by steve4102; 11/29/11.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my experience the 7.62X39 doesn't out perform the 6.8. I have shot both and I still have a 6.8 and have been rather impressed with its destructiveness for lack of a better term

Run a 125 BT in the x39 and some destructiveness should manifest...but still won't make it an AR round.

Ya gotta like the 85 TSX in the SPC at 3k....or the 55-62 TTSX in the same ballpark.

So...which one of these two would be the best for the AR...?

The logical best answer for this group is one lower 2 uppers.

It's almost 2012...so why not live it up a little!

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am liking the 53TSX over 27 grains of TAC some more these days.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
No one, not Accurate, not Hornady, not Hodgdons not a single ammunition manufacturer shows a load remotely close to what you're claiming, but we're supposed to use stated,

Sorry, maybe you missed where I got my data from. If you read what you just quoted you will see that it is an email response from Johan Loubser head Ballistician at Accurate/Ramshot/Western Powders. Now before you get even more angry and call me a liar(again) maybe you should call him or send him an email and find out what his load data for the 110gr bullet in the 7.62x39 actually is. Then when your done, you can come back here and call him a liar also.

As for my other data, it comes straight from Hornady #7 page 538. Lists a max charge of AA 1680(28.5gr) running at 2600fps.

This is from Guns/Ammo note the 110gr bullet data. Cool Ain't it?
Code
 7.62x39 LOAD DATA
Bullet	Bullet Weight (gr.)	Powder	Primer	Case	Starting Load (grs.)	Maximum Load (grs.)	Max. Muzzle Velocity (fps)
Hornady FMJ	90	Alliant 2400	Federal 210	Winchester	18.0	21.01	2,850
Hornady FMJ	90	Vihta Vuori N110	Winchester LR	IMI	19.0	22.0	2,880
Hornady FMJ	90	Hodgdon H110	CCI 200	Winchester	19.0	22.5	2,860
Hornady RN	110	Accurate 1680	Federal 210	IMI	23.0	28.0	2,770
Hornady RN	110	Norma N 200	Winchester LR	Winchester	22.0	26.5	2,550
Sierra Spitzer Pro-Hunter	125	Accurate 201 5BR	CCI 200	IMI	24.0	27.0	2,250
Sierra Spitzer Pro-Hunter	125	Vihta Vuori N120	Federal 210	Winchester	21.0	25.0	2,450
Sierra Spitzer Pro-Hunter	125	RS X-Terminator	Winchester LR	IMI	25.0	30.0	2,350
Nosler Ballistic Tip	125	Alliant R1-7	CCI 200	Winchester	22.0	26.0	2,425
Nosler Ballistic Tip	125	IMR 4227	Federal 210	IMI	19.0	22.5	2,375
Barnes Triple Shock	130	Hodgdon H4198	Winchester LR	Winchester	22.0	25.5	2,450
Barnes Triple Shock	130	Norma N-201	CCI-200	IMI	24.0	28.0	2,275
Speer HP	130	RS TAC	Federal 210	Winchester	26.0	30.0	2,350
Speer HP	130	Winchester 296	Winchester LR	IMI	14.0	18.0	2,2

I found the link to this G&A data. Note they used a 23 inch barrel. Drop that to a 16 inch to compare to the 6.8 barrel tested and we come up with 2600fps. Right on with the 6.8/Hornady data.

link.
http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/the-762x39?page=2

That load is not listed in Accurate's load manual or their online load data. That is the point. I also knew about the max load 2600fps in Hornady 7 as I have it right here, but here's the problem.....

That Hornady load is 2600fps IN A 20" BARREL. Oops...

So no, 2600fps in a 20" barrel is not close to 2675fps from an 18" barrel.

And again, feel free to use the email load you quoted. The AR15.com load I put up, beat it hands down.

There is no free lunch. The 7.62x39 is working at a SAAMI 10,000 psi disadvantage together with a BC disadvantage in any remotely close bullet comparisons. And the kicker is, the case capacities are almost identical, so there is no way for the 7.62x39 to make up for it's shortfalls without blowing way past SAAMI specs or having to move outside the AR magazine restraints. Either of which could be done with the 6.8spc as well, if we want to get crazy, so what's the point?

You can't bail 7 gallons of water with a 6 gallon bucket, it's that simple.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So no, 2600fps in a 20" barrel is not close to 2675fps from an 18" barrel.

If you go back a READ my first posts on this nonsense you will see that I converted the 20 inch x39 barrel to 16 inches using QL. If you go back and READ you will also see that Johan's data for the x39/110gr bullet is a full grain more than Hornady's data, hence the increase in velocity with shorter barrel.
Not trying to be rude or condescending, just posting facts and comments that relate to this rather nasty comment.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ok serious question for the 6.8 lovers, do you load to SAAMI specs on all calibers or load to pressure? I mean the 7.62x39 is 10,000psi behind the 6.8 at SAAMI specs but can the 6.8 be loaded safely to a higher pressure? I mean since it's onset, the 6.8 was hotrodded by even the mfgs. Did they get all the good out of it or is there more?

From where I sit, it seems like it's already at max and the 7.62x39 could use a 10,000psi boost as well, just like every other caliber we load for, searching for pressure signs.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TopCat

Run a 125 BT in the x39 and some destructiveness should manifest...but still won't make it an AR round.

Ya gotta like the 85 TSX in the SPC at 3k....or the 55-62 TTSX in the same ballpark.

So...which one of these two would be the best for the AR...?

The logical best answer for this group is one lower 2 uppers.

It's almost 2012...so why not live it up a little!

TC

nephew runs 125bts.... and though I fail to see what some folks get out of extra destructiveness, lets just say i've killed stuff on the far side of 500 with that combo and its never failed to kill what its pointed at if the shot is good. And we've killed quite a bit from 150 to about 225 over the years. caliber entry, dime to nickle size exit, blood trails, dead... can't ask for anymore than that IMHO

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by TWR
Ok serious question for the 6.8 lovers, do you load to SAAMI specs on all calibers or load to pressure? I mean the 7.62x39 is 10,000psi behind the 6.8 at SAAMI specs but can the 6.8 be loaded safely to a higher pressure? I mean since it's onset, the 6.8 was hotrodded by even the mfgs. Did they get all the good out of it or is there more?

From where I sit, it seems like it's already at max and the 7.62x39 could use a 10,000psi boost as well, just like every other caliber we load for, searching for pressure signs.

Most of the 2600fps+ (16"bbl) loads quoted around here for the 6.8spc are under SAAMI limit. Hornady and Hodgdons both show loads in that range and they are not going to list loads above SAAMI pressure limits.

The increases we have seen in the past couple years were from switching to the SPCII chamber which in combination with better twist rates, decreased pressure, theoretically leaving some room for an increase in powder.

So no, I would say that the 6.8spc has not been maxed out.

Again, there is only so much you can do with a case with equivalent case capacity in a larger caliber, especially when faced with magazine restraints.

There is no magic in physics. You simply cannot use the equivalent BC bullets for the 7.62x39, to match performance, that you can for the 6.8spc, without blowing past pressure limits.

The same reason the 6.8spc can't match the grendel at 600 yards is the same (and much more exaggerated) that you can't match the 6.8spc with the 7.62x39 at 300 yards, unless you go way past SAAMI limits. If your going to do that, then compare apples to apples and blow past SAAMI for the 6.8spc as well.

Or be honest and just note each cartridge for what it is.

[Linked Image]

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
"Or be honest and just note each cartridge for what it is"

If only everyone would...

If we are going to compare apples to apples, then lets load to same pressure. The SAAMI constraints are there for other reasons much like the 45-70 and other cartridges. Given a competent reloader, pressure can be increased for the 7.62x39 but you are correct you will never beat the B.C. of the 6.8.

But the commy round is loaded at 2300fps, think about this, military ball 308 is loaded at 2700fps, while it's relatively easy to get 2950fps out of it, what if we gave it the same boost we do the 308 while still retaing safe pressures like the Western powders loads mentioned earlier.

My whole point is still, that while all these numbers mean things, neither the 6.8 or the 7.62x39 will kill anything that much deader. And being fair with pressures minimizes alot of the 6.8's advantages.

And with the pressure problems we've seen in the 6.8, I'd think it's pretty close to max.

Being clumped in with the 30-30 power class ain't a bad thing, especially when it's in an AR-15.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
and so we continue on with the current fad of "let's shoehorn every available diameter bullet into a case that will fire in a a somewhat standard AR-15 upper"!! Fun? Why yes! Interesting? of course! Practical??? Arguable/maybe/sometimes? Significantly better? Mostly No.

Do gun loony's need any sane reasons to do this? Hell no! That .50 beowolf is really interesting to me... smile 400 grain flat point 50 cal at 1800...Wow!

If we could shoe horn 308 win power into a standard AR15 upper with a standard magazine then that really would be different.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Widening the page out makes it difficult to follow. Just sayin'...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
is the beowulf interesting? Must be since I drive one... grins....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR

I run 223 right at 60kpsi and have for years. The platform is very capable of handling that. The question becomes the bolt lugs possibly, but beyond that, I see no reason to limit pressures other than the vessel, this vessel is plenty strong. To not load them ALL to that same limit, leaves something on the table which could be a plus IMHO

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

After shooting the 6.8 and 7.62X39 I am much more impressed with the 6.8. IMHO the 6.8 is head and shoulders above the 223. I have zero experience with the 6.5 Grendel.

Did I say that I really like the 6.8

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
jwp, did you load the 7.62x39 with good bullets and decent pressure or stick with surplus ammo?

What did you load in the 223?

Just wondering.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I really like John Barness most recent lethality power formula:

This is some tough math so the 6.8 aficionado's may need to use a calculator. smile

"My more recent killing power formula is the 90/9/1: 90% is bullet placement, 9% is bullet performance, and 1% is headstamp."

Last edited by jimmyp; 11/30/11.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
always did wonder how my 32-20 killed every deer and pig/javelina it was ever aimed at.....

And still wondering how my civil war smoothbore is going to kill with a 19ga round ball and 60 of 2F, but something tells me it probably will do fine....

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
They can't sell marksmanship...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I really like John Barness most recent lethality power formula:

This is some tough math so the 6.8 aficionado's may need to use a calculator. smile

"My more recent killing power formula is the 90/9/1: 90% is bullet placement, 9% is bullet performance, and 1% is headstamp."

I'm planning a Cape Buffalo safari in a few months. You can use my .22 Hornet. You up for it?

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I know its not directed at me, but I'd have zero qualms on a buff with a 22 hornet. Let me pick the bullet and then allow me to choose my shot, I'd be just fine and meat on the ground.

Just like using a 223 OR a 6.8, neither are magic or powerful enough that you can take any shot presented.

Of course it doesn't hurt that I'm nuts enough the 2 things I have on my list that I'll never be able to afford are a buff with a bow and a brownie with a bow. I'd like an nyala, but don't care how I'd get that for some reason. And of course Africa is the last place I'll spend money if I had it, prefering to hunt and support our game in the US instead. But if I hit it big ever... I could manage Africa then...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ouch touched a nerve! Yes sure I would go with you and take the hornet (if given the chance). Barness makes a good point, 90 percent shot placement, 9 percent bullet, and 1 percent headstamp, I do believe the man has killed more big game than either of us! smile

(I personally think its 85% shot placement, 14% bullet and 1% headstamp!)

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
One thing I like about my 7.62 x39 over my Grendel is the ability to load a wide variety of "Hunting" bullets from the fast light weight 110gr bullets at 2650+ fps to the devastating 150gr Hornady 30-30 RN bullet at 2200-2300 fps.
There are very few 6.5 Hunting bullets that fit into the Grendel's velocity/weight range. The Nosler BT (Junk IMO) and the Barnes TSX/TTSX, that's about it.

For a Hunting rifle, if I had to choose one over the other I would take my X39.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I choose the 6.8 and very happy with it

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
"I'm planning a Cape Buffalo safari in a few months. You can use my .22 Hornet. You up for it?"

Question is, is your 6.8 enough of a jump to take it?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by TWR
"I'm planning a Cape Buffalo safari in a few months. You can use my .22 Hornet. You up for it?"

Question is, is your 6.8 enough of a jump to take it?

See, I'm not nuts enough to make that claim.

Barsness's quote is taken out of context IMO. It assumes relatively similar ballistics.

[Linked Image]

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
LOL, I had to put down a cow once with a 223. It worked but she looked like a mad elephant and the 223 a bb gun but it worked.

From that experience, I jump from the 223 class to the 308 class and from there it'd get really intersting...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
How can it be out of context really, when its typically the indian and not the arrow?

Assuming good projectile choice, then its shot location or pass. Having the ability to pass the shot is a major thing, EVEN if the ability of the round and projectile are up to the task.

Probably why I've been able to kill up to just over 400 pound wild hogs with a ruger MK2 22 pistol... And I have shot a LOT of pigs after friends that were convinced they needed something big for pigs... like 06 or even bigger, would shoot first.... one morning we had 2 pigs out just over 200 pounds... buddy had to take 45-70 cause they are mean and tough you know... we snuck in to about 30 yards from them and I says wait till I'm good, I got the 22 out and loaded, and ready.. I'm good. He picks the shot goes bang. The first pig hit runs off. The 2nd one stops about 30 feet further off and gets a bullet to the lungs... We go get his, drag it down to the road, go back to camp and gut it and then go find mine, about 75 yards or so away dead from a lung shot.

Best choice of rounds? Nope. But where exactly do you draw the line?

And no where in here am I saying there is a thing wrong with the 6.8 either. But what it takes, and what you want to use are 2 different things.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
JB was certainly not taken out of context relative to the puny cartridges we have been discussing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Someone mentioned upping pressures in the 7.62x39, let me give you something to consider. The M43 cartridge (7.62x39) is a radically tapered case and that translates to bolt thrust of magnitudes greater than the nearly straight walls of the 6.8 SPC. On paper, the bolt thrust is pretty close from a mathematical standpoint. But that�s on paper. Many of the straighter walled cartridges have very little ACTUAL bolt thrust at all. PO Ackley proved this with his Winchester 94 with the locking block removed; fired it, and the bolt stayed closed (I believe that was with a completely straight wall AI case though). The more taper you have, the more actual bolt thrust you get, and therefore the more true abuse to the locking lugs. So perhaps loading an additional 10kpsi is fine, but you need to know that it does have an effect, even if you can�t see it. With a clean chamber, you can take the extractor out of a 7.62x39 gun and it will still be around 90% reliable. I really don�t see why someone would feel the need to up the pressure another 10kpsi, for what it was created for, the M43 cartridge performs rather well.

The 6.8 is an excellent cartridge, possibly the most �ideal� assault rifle cartridge out there. It�s clearly better than the M43 in most categories except cost. I tend to think the 6.8�s minimal taper is much better suited to the straight, then curved magazine of the AR than the sharply tapered M43. So even though the M43 has a bunch of reliability built into the design, it�s dependent on a magazine optimized for the cartridge shape such as the AK magazine (which is the best magazine in the world). Since you can�t use an AK magazine in an AR, I�d either stick with the 5.56 or go to the 6.8.

6.5 Grendel is a slick cartridge also and ballistically beats the 6.8 in most categories, but it has reduced magazine capacity, and you really have to get the mag right for perfect functioning. I really don�t know how well a 6.5 would do in harsh environmental conditions using a case that fat in a magazine that skinny.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
One has to draw the line somewhere, my joking reference to the .22 Hornet and a Cape Buffalo drew at least one "maybe".

You can kill almost anything with any cartridge, the sliding scale of differences comes in margin of error. Yes, you can kill a Cape Buffalo with a .223, but you're going to have to pick your shot wisely and if you don't have your choice of shot angles, you might get stomped into a mud puddle.

Will a 7.62x39 kill just about anything a 6.8spc will? Absolutely.

Will a 6.8spc using optimal bullets at SAAMI pressures deliver flatter trajectory, less wind drift and possibly a little more penetration at distance, than a 7.62x39 using optimal bullets at SAAMI pressures? Yes, that's a fact of physics.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cant argue your last paragraph at all.

I'd still have no qualms on a buff... so thast not a maybe, thats a for sure no big deal to me. and I doubt it would stomp me because with a hornet, it'll be DRT

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All in fun... I know it isn't always easy to get a brain shot on an animal when he is up close and personal, running full bore, head bobbin, nose up, mouth open yelling at ya. You gonna just side step at the last minute and stick the barrel in his ear? smile

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
One has to draw the line somewhere, my joking reference to the .22 Hornet and a Cape Buffalo drew at least one "maybe".

You can kill almost anything with any cartridge, the sliding scale of differences comes in margin of error. Yes, you can kill a Cape Buffalo with a .223, but you're going to have to pick your shot wisely and if you don't have your choice of shot angles, you might get stomped into a mud puddle.

Will a 6.8spc using optimal bullets at SAAMI pressures deliver flatter trajectory, less wind drift and possibly a little more penetration at distance, than a 7.62x39 using optimal bullets at SAAMI pressures? Yes, that's a fact of physics.

I totaly agree but I'm still gonna give you guys fits... grin

One of my favorite books was Alaska Wolfman, the adventures of Frank Glaser, in it he opined that given a stronger bullet, the 220 swift would've been the best grizzly round he ever used. Always wondered about that...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They use AKs & FALs on elephant in Africa.
Saw a video once of elephant culling where the game mgr cruised up beside an elephant and poured a 3-4 round burst into it with his FAL. Same concept with the AK.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ruger280
All in fun... I know it isn't always easy to get a brain shot on an animal when he is up close and personal, running full bore, head bobbin, nose up, mouth open yelling at ya. You gonna just side step at the last minute and stick the barrel in his ear? smile

Ain't gonna get in a bad predicament.. plus whats the PH for anyway? And I probably won't be picking out the oldest baddest bull in the bunch, very well a young bull or cow on the fringe of the herd... like I said, you choose a light round, you have to learn to be picky... But then again I"ve had to kick a few pigs at times, and one javelina that took a few years of life off of me... blood all over my pants legs and boots.... my buddy said that scream did sound like a woman...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I enjoy these conversations, I always learn something.

Does anyone make decent 6.8 with a carbine length gas system and something lighter than an M4 barrel profile? I know Noveske makes a reasonably LW upper, but its midlength.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ARP may put the gas port in whatever configuration you like. He may recomend you do different but he'll prob do whatever you like.
Bison may as well.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Why carbine gas?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I enjoy these conversations, I always learn something.

Does anyone make decent 6.8 with a carbine length gas system and something lighter than an M4 barrel profile? I know Noveske makes a reasonably LW upper, but its midlength.

I had a Rock River 6.8spc. They use a light weight 16" barrel, carbine gas setup and SPCII chamber. Only thing I didn't like was the 1:10 twist, which is really not a big issue, just not what I wanted.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
curious, what twist did you want?

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm leaning towards getting the 6.8 now if I do the "deer mostly" upper. There is talk about twists and SPC and SPC2 chambers and I wonder what you guys recommend looking for? Maybe what brands or features should I avoid?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm leaning towards getting the 6.8 now if I do the "deer mostly" upper. There is talk about twists and SPC and SPC2 chambers and I wonder what you guys recommend looking for? Maybe what brands or features should I avoid?

Basically, the SPC II chamber is an improved design over the original. It helps stabilize chamber pressures. The SPC II chamber with a 1/11 or slower twist is a common configuration. Most manufacturers that have given any thought to current trends in building a 6.8 rifle should be aware of the current optimized specs.

Study before you buy.

Noveske makes very high-end $tuff and he knows what he's doing. If he offers mid gas it's part of the engineered package. When you buy a Noveske you are buying all of his engineering design and high-end manufacturing experience as well. He's already figured it out, so basically, his stuff is good-to-go. Very pricey, but designed for top end performance.

Mid-gas is part of the 6.8 design parameters for a reason.

Longer gas allows for more dwell time, and runs smoother with less wear and tear on the brass, etc. In 223, it helps smooth out the recoil impulse with Nato spec or LR Match rounds with heavy bullets.

So, what's wrong with mid-gas?

I prefer mid-gas and I wouldn't run anything but mid gas on a 16"... 18" you can even run rifle gas but mid is ok.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

I bought a 1:11 WOA in 18".

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R

You running the BR theory just enough twist by going 11? I"ve never found that overtwisting did any harm but I always like to hear thoughts. Carolyns team partner for many years ran a 9 twist in 223 to shoot 80 bergers on purpose... and Carolyn and I were running 6.5 twist that would shoot the 80s fine, but because we were after 90s... but found that the 6.5 twist just shot 80s really really super too for some reason.

Promise I"m not baiting, I just like to hear folks thoughts. The only reason I got on the faster twist bandwagon is that once you hit 600 yards, the faster twist almost always shot snugger groups than the slower twist.. up around say 300 and closer you couldn't see the difference.

Jeff

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes I am sure the carbine gas is rougher on the brass, but it sure kicks it out of there, no problemo. I guess midgas must have bigger port? I kind of like the carbine length hand guards and a lighter rifle.

I like faster twists as well they seem to give more bullet options and I sort of suspect they help some with bullet expansion.

Anybody have one of those $525 Stag 5H uppers its 1-11 not sure which SPC though. For $525 including 1 magazine instead of investing $1100 in a Noveske upper to do about the same thing.

Last edited by jimmyp; 12/03/11.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

You running the BR theory just enough twist by going 11? I"ve never found that overtwisting did any harm but I always like to hear thoughts. Carolyns team partner for many years ran a 9 twist in 223 to shoot 80 bergers on purpose... and Carolyn and I were running 6.5 twist that would shoot the 80s fine, but because we were after 90s... but found that the 6.5 twist just shot 80s really really super too for some reason.

Promise I"m not baiting, I just like to hear folks thoughts. The only reason I got on the faster twist bandwagon is that once you hit 600 yards, the faster twist almost always shot snugger groups than the slower twist.. up around say 300 and closer you couldn't see the difference.

Jeff

I agree you won't overspin an 85 gr .277 working at 1:10, but a lot of the data from those experimenting with the SPCII chamber early on, found that in combination with a 1:11 twist you could decrease pressure a touch and therefore load the 80-90 grain bullets a little hotter.

1:11 has become the standard with most manufacturers for the 6.8spc.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't pay a bit of attention to manufacturers, all they do is please the masses and most times the masses tend to be ignorant.

One plus is the ability to shoot heavier bullets as you come across them, but the 6.8 is not a longer range round so moot point.

I"ve read up on the twist vs pressure thing. Not sure I agree, but then again I'm not always right by far either. I overcome pressure via bullet coatings, barrel coatings and the correct powders. Take your pick.

I don't see how you can go wrong with an 11 really either and especailly if 85s are the ticket. I'm not a light bullet guy typically unless its the X series and then I'll go one lighter than I normally would.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rost what do you think the difference in performance on game animals of say 300 pounds or less would be between a 70 grain TSX at 2800 FPS spinning with a 1-7 twist or an 85 grain TSX at 2700 FPS spinning at a 1-11 rate? This is where I bog down on wanting to go to the 6.8.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
for that size animal, not a damn bit of difference at all. You'll never see it IMHO.

If I was uncomfortable with the 70 at that speed, I damn sure wouldn't dink up to a friggin 6.8, I'd take a jump at least to 308 for me personally.

Bottom line though, even the 308 leaves something on the table when you talk able to take any shot presented at any reasonable range.

And when you get below that demand, hell take what you want to play with and walk away from an iffy shot.

I"ve shot more than a few deer at angles with 223 and good bullets at distances out just a bit past 300, Never had an issue as long as you place the bullet correctly due to whatever angle presents.... Of course the last 100 or so pounds I'm really not fair to comment because it takes a hoss of a deer to hit 200 here, but I've shot a truckload of 200-250 pound pigs with the same round...

Thats been my stance on this thread the whole time, you are picking nits here.. its not like you are asking the 22 hornet vs teh 308. Or the 243 vs the 300 mag.... you are in the same ballpark all around. So the performance is going to be the same.
And for those that have to go on about bang flops... its all bullet placement. I can shoot you a load of deer with the 6.8 that run like heck shot through the lungs. I can shoot you a load of deer with the x39 that flop on the spot...still through the lungs.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sounds very familiar... grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think it comes down to personal preference.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The 7.62x39 will capably handle the .311-.312" bullets from 60 grains to 180 grains, and many folks have found that it does quite well with .308" bullets, too, giving flexibility into those bullets and ranges up to 240 grains, if you want to run subsonic.

With the 174s and 180s, you can be knocking on the door of .303 Brit level performance, and I don't recall anyone ever saying that old Brit round couldn't hold it's own on game.

The 6.8 simply doesn't offer that flexibility.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think it comes down to personal preference.

Thats pretty much it. It doesn't help me any that I absolutely HATE the .277 caliber to start with... thats why when the 6.8 came out, nope... when John necked it down to 6mm, send me one right out....

grins.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Personally, I love my 6.8

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
never said the .277 was bad, just happen to hate the 270 win for some reason and don't like the caliber as a result.

That being said I could see a use for 190 wildcats in .277 out of a mag....

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The 7.62x39 will capably handle the .311-.312" bullets from 60 grains to 180 grains, and many folks have found that it does quite well with .308" bullets, too, giving flexibility into those bullets and ranges up to 240 grains, if you want to run subsonic.

With the 174s and 180s, you can be knocking on the door of .303 Brit level performance, and I don't recall anyone ever saying that old Brit round couldn't hold it's own on game.

VA, I don't think some of those bullet choices will work in an AR because of the magazine limitations, which is the subject at hand.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Rost what do you think the difference in performance on game animals of say 300 pounds or less would be between a 70 grain TSX at 2800 FPS spinning with a 1-7 twist or an 85 grain TSX at 2700 FPS spinning at a 1-11 rate? This is where I bog down on wanting to go to the 6.8.

The problem with this question is that the 85 grain TSX is closer to 3000fps in the 6.8spc, not 2700 fps.

Now, when you consider the 85 gr TSX at 3000 fps or the 110 gr Accubond/TSX at 2650fps compared to the 70 gr .223 at 2800fps, then you have your contrast.

I'm personally partial to the 95gr TTSX and 100gr Accubond. Throw those around 2600-2700fps at a hog and you'll see some righteous penetration.

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

VA, I don't think some of those bullet choices will work in an AR because of the magazine limitations, which is the subject at hand.

Yeah, they can. Seat the heavies deeply, and they'll work. It's been done, frequently.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The problem with this question is that the 85 grain TSX is closer to 3000fps in the 6.8spc, not 2700 fps.

Now, when you consider the 85 gr TSX at 3000 fps or the 110 gr Accubond/TSX at 2650fps compared to the 70 gr .223 at 2800fps, then you have your contrast.

I'm personally partial to the 95gr TTSX and 100gr Accubond. Throw those around 2600-2700fps at a hog and you'll see some righteous penetration.

So you get 3000FPS with an 85 grain TSX? What powder are you using? How much?

So from SSA an 85 TSX at 2920 BC about .24 or a 70 grain TSX BC about .31 at 2750, they are not light years apart. As far as penetration, my bet would be on the 70 grain at 2750.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R

Running slow 85 tsx from the 6.8 necked to 6mm... 2750ish IIRC or so.... never seen a hog keep a bullet yet. Once again its does it do what you are after.

All we are beating to death here is do you need a 30-06 because your 308 is incapable? Never owned an 06 either other than Garands.... 308 has been pure death on out to the other side of 700 so far....

FWIW I've never managed to recover a 62 tsx out of the 223 either.

At some point you have enough for most jobs. At another point the 6.8 is NOT enough to be able to do ANY shot, at ANY angle on ANY basic animal depending on yardage also... IE need bigger than the other 2 rounds you really need BIIIGGGGEERRR IMHO.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

So you get 3000FPS with an 85 grain TSX? What powder are you using? How much?

So from SSA an 85 TSX at 2920 BC about .24 or a 70 grain TSX BC about .31 at 2750, they are not light years apart. As far as penetration, my bet would be on the 70 grain at 2750.

Ask Silver State. 3000 fps is a factory tactical load for the 85 gr TSX.

No matter how you slice it, 3000 fps or 2920 fps is a heck of lot different than 2700 fps, so why compare a hot .223 load to an anemic 6.8spc load?

I'm not claiming they are light years apart, I'm asking why you make such misleading statements (frequently).

You really think a 70 gr bullet .223 @ 2750fps is going to penetrate further than an 85 gr .277 @ 2920fps with equal bullet construction?

Really? Laughin....

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Running slow 85 tsx from the 6.8 necked to 6mm... 2750ish IIRC or so.... never seen a hog keep a bullet yet. Once again its does it do what you are after.

All we are beating to death here is do you need a 30-06 because your 308 is incapable? Never owned an 06 either other than Garands.... 308 has been pure death on out to the other side of 700 so far....

FWIW I've never managed to recover a 62 tsx out of the 223 either.

At some point you have enough for most jobs. At another point the 6.8 is NOT enough to be able to do ANY shot, at ANY angle on ANY basic animal depending on yardage also... IE need bigger than the other 2 rounds you really need BIIIGGGGEERRR IMHO.

I'm not sure what your point is. I just pointed out that Jimmy made a misleading statement.

Last edited by Foxbat; 12/04/11.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I must have looked at the 95 grain TSX load at SSA and its 2750.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Yeah, they can. Seat the heavies deeply, and they'll work. It's been done, frequently.

I'm sure, but the issue is, how much case capacity are you giving up to seat a 174 or 180 grain bullet in the 7.62x39 in an Ar-15 magazine?

I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts you won't get anywhere near the .303 British performance comparison you made.

Which is really the point. Take away the AR-15 magazine restriction and the 6.8spc will launch 130's and up to 150's which would be the equivalent (range of bullets) of the 174's and 180's in the 7.62x39.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I must have looked at the 95 grain TSX load at SSA and its 2750.

Fair enough.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
my point was, you are saying you get righteous penetration from the 6.8, yet my point is I've never found an animal that could stop an 85 from the 6woa. OR the 223 with a 62. And I've tried some angular shots.

That being the case, you won't find anything to stop a similar bullet combo in the x39 round either.

You can argue numbers all day long, but bottom line, both the 6.8 and X39 kill, kill very well and with the right projectile, you just won't be able to recover a bullet.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
they are wearing me out, if I can find a cheap upper just to try the damn thing I may do it, just so's I can shoot a deer with it to see if there is a difference, the 85TSX would be my choice the 3000FPS is an interesting fact.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
my point was, you are saying you get righteous penetration from the 6.8, yet my point is I've never found an animal that could stop an 85 from the 6woa. OR the 223 with a 62. And I've tried some angular shots.

That being the case, you won't find anything to stop a similar bullet combo in the x39 round either.

You can argue numbers all day long, but bottom line, both the 6.8 and X39 kill, kill very well and with the right projectile, you just won't be able to recover a bullet.

I agree with you. But if we are going to make relative comparisons, there has to be some measure of performance.

I will say that I have found some bullets in larger hogs though, especially quartering away shots, but these were 30-06.

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

I'm sure, but the issue is, how much case capacity are you giving up to seat a 174 or 180 grain bullet in the 7.62x39 in an Ar-15 magazine?

I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts you won't get anywhere near the .303 British performance comparison you made.

Which is really the point. Take away the AR-15 magazine restriction and the 6.8spc will launch 130's and up to 150's which would be the equivalent (range of bullets) of the 174's and 180's in the 7.62x39.

Beg to differ.

If 2.190" COAL won't fit in a mag for an AR, you've got issues. You can seat the 174s to that, and push them to or over 2200, easily. Lil'Gun, H4227, RL-7, N120.

You can get the 240s to 1700-1800, or very easily drop them subsonic. Again, the same powders are a good place to start, or use TrailBoss.

You can SMARTLY work the pressure of the 7.62x39 up above the 51k SAAMI spec set for the SKS into the 58k range of the SPC, and doing so adds a bit to it's performance ceiling. Again, SMARTLY, just like working the .280Rem up above it's lower limit set due to the 760 Remingtons when you're using it in bolt guns otherwise designed for and using .270s.

Am I running these right now? No, not in an AR, but I know several people that are and it's pretty easy, really. The "little Commie round" is pretty damned flexible. My 7.62x39 is a bolt gun, and the flexibility there is increased even more.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R

I agree with you. But if we are going to make relative comparisons, there has to be some measure of performance.

I will say that I have found some bullets in larger hogs though, especially quartering away shots, but these were 30-06.

in a comparison scenario we should always compare apples to apples and not otherwise, but it often does not work that way.

As to 30 cal from an 06, its simply bullet choice again.

Bottom line Barnes changed a LOT of things when they came on the scene many years ago. Folks that ignore that change are missing some good stuff.

After having had a 7x300 wtyb with 160 cup and core stop in the NECK of a 50 pound pig at just over 200 yards, it once again confirms my thoughts... WTF would you shoot anything other than an X? I play with other bullets just to see whtas out there, just like rounds, but when it counts its bullet choice and shot placement that trump the rest.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[quote=Foxbat][quote=VAnimrod]

You can SMARTLY work the pressure of the 7.62x39 up above the 51k SAAMI spec set for the SKS into the 58k range of the SPC, and doing so adds a bit to it's performance ceiling. .

What is the actual SAAMI pressure limit for the 7.62 x 39? Everything I have found lists a Max pressure of 45,000 PSI, some list the Max pressure at 45,000 CUP. The only place I have found a pressure limit of 51K psi is in Quickload.

Ramshot/Accurate list pressures in PSI in their load manuals. They have the x39 running in the upper 30's low 40's in PSI?

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Stick said it best, "it's all about the bullet".

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
over my life I have seen 3 165 grain cup and core 30-06 bullets one from a Hornady Light Magnum load stopped by a simple WT buck. I know a 170 pound deers shoulder and what is behind it will not stop a 62 grain TSX for a fact.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

You can SMARTLY work the pressure of the 7.62x39 up above the 51k SAAMI spec set for the SKS into the 58k range of the SPC, and doing so adds a bit to it's performance ceiling. .

What is the actual SAAMI pressure limit for the 7.62 x 39? Everything I have found lists a Max pressure of 45,000 PSI, some list the Max pressure at 45,000 CUP. The only place I have found a pressure limit of 51K psi is in Quickload.

Ramshot/Accurate list pressures in PSI in their load manuals. They have the x39 running in the upper 30's low 40's in PSI?

Speer #13, and QL.

The SAAMI pressures for the 7.62x39 are set where they are due to the SKS. The AR or a bolt gun is a whole other critter. Again, like the SAAMI pressure for the .280 Remington/7mmExpress being set at 58k while the .270Win is well over 60k because the .280 was introduced in the 760 semi-automatics.

The 7.62x39 can be SMARTLY throttled forward in either the AR or a boltgun, and if you really want to compare apples/apples with it in an AR with the 6.8, you pretty much have to. Again, just like comparing the .280 vs .270 in a bolt gun.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Speer #13, and QL.

The SAAMI pressures for the 7.62x39 are set where they are due to the SKS. The AR or a bolt gun is a whole other critter. Again, like the SAAMI pressure for the .280 Remington/7mmExpress being set at 58k while the .270Win is well over 60k because the .280 was introduced in the 760 semi-automatics.

The 7.62x39 can be SMARTLY throttled forward in either the AR or a boltgun, and if you really want to compare apples/apples with it in an AR with the 6.8, you pretty much have to. Again, just like comparing the .280 vs .270 in a bolt gun.

The Speer #13 lists an average pressure of 50,000 CUP, not PSI. Which equates to approximately 61,000 PSI. This has to be a Misprint.

I agree that the load data for the x39 is anemic and can safely worked up. I disagree that the SAAMI pressure rating is 50K, PSI. It is more like 45K, PSI.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/saami.htm

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm

http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm

Edit. I searched through SAAMI's web site and found this.
7.62 x 39 50,000 CUP.

It also listed it in PSI.
7.62 x 39 45,000 PSI

Last edited by steve4102; 12/05/11.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Bringing the x39 up to and over 50K psi may be fine in bolt actions, but maybe not such a good idea in an AR type rifle.
The x39 and the 6.5 Grendel share the same rim diameter .447. It's my understanding that this large rim diameter is one of the reasons the Grendel has a safe operation pressure rating of 50K psi, while the small rimmed rounds like the 223/5.56 can safely run at 60K psi in an AR.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Who decided the grendel has to stay at 50 to be safe? ANd how was that decision made? I"m not arguing it, just asking.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Who decided the grendel has to stay at 50 to be safe? ANd how was that decision made? I"m not arguing it, just asking.

I have no idea, but I would have to guess it would be Bill Alexander and maybe Arne Brennan.

I got the bolt face info from Mike at DTech, here.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...824506/Re_AR_Pressure_Limits#Post2824506

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Beg to differ.

If 2.190" COAL won't fit in a mag for an AR, you've got issues. You can seat the 174s to that, and push them to or over 2200, easily. Lil'Gun, H4227, RL-7, N120.

But there is my point, VA.

You mentioned 174's and 180's reaching .303 Brit performance. So I checked standard .303 Brit specs and I'm saw 2500 fps with 174's and 2570 fps with 180's.

According to Wiki, the Mark VIII round used during WWII was the 175gr pushed at 2525-2900fps.

And has been already established in this thread, 2500fps+ is hard for an AR based 7.62x39 to achieve with much lighter bullets, so I knew it was going to be darn near impossible with 174's and 180's.

So, yeah, I can buy 2200 fps, but that wouldn't really be 303 British.

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Standard performance for the .303Brit and a 174 is 2440, from the 25" barrels of a No.1 or No.4. In a No.5, it's 2300ish.

And, what I said was nearly .303 British perfomance/levels. You can easily exceed 2200.

Kind of like saying you can get near .30-06 performance out of a .308, or nearly .308 performance out of a .300 Savage.

All of which is true.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
BTW - the MkVIII was a special purpose round. Standard issue was the MkVII, 174 grain ball at 2440. Standard SP hunting rounds are 174s, at 2440. Again, measured from the long barrels of the No.1 and No.4. Knock off about 100 fps for the No.5.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R

I have no idea, but I would have to guess it would be Bill Alexander and maybe Arne Brennan.

and knowing Bill and Arne, neither would have any business setting a max pressure level. IE not enough knowledge there or testing equipment vs the bolts and pressures. Great folks and I loved doing some of Arne's test firing of the Grendel, but you have to have labs to set levels...

Like I've said before, I've seen more than a few oddball bolt faces in the AR15 guns, but mostly 223 faces. Guess which one I've seen loose a lug? 223....

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Jeff;

I'm thinking someone with considerable AR experience ought grab up a 7.62x39 upper and ring it out for a while...

Would probably make one helluva pig killer, eh?

wink

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
tempting me again eh? Had I access to pigs like I used to, it would be a no brainer...

240 smks subsonic with a can....SMACK

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You mentioned 174's and 180's reaching .303 Brit performance. So I checked standard .303 Brit specs and I'm saw 2500 fps with 174's and 2570 fps with 180's.

I check a few of my loading manuals, for the 303 Brit with 174gr bullet Hornady listed the highest velocity with 2500fps out of a 25.25 inch barrel. Using QL to reduce the barrel to 16 inches as in the x39 data we get 2219fps.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I mentioned the x39 knocking on the door of .303Brit performance, not reaching it.

Standard .303Brit performance is 2440 for a 174 via a 25" tube. Set the tubes equal, load the same 174 or 180 grain bullet, load the x39 up, and guess what? It's CLOSE to .303Brit performance.

Which, is exactly what I said.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
And I agree with you, that is the point of my post.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff;

I'm thinking someone with considerable AR experience ought grab up a 7.62x39 upper and ring it out for a while...

Would probably make one helluva pig killer, eh?

wink

If this .300 Blackout upper doesn't get better on accuracy, then I may bite on a 7.62x40 barrel from Wilson.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You're right on the barrel length. I didn't think about those Enfields being such telephone poles.

But here we go again comparing hot rodded loads to anemic loads.

I checked Hodgdons on the 7.62x39 and the largest bullet load they show is 150 gr and the max load they show is 2192fps.

Hornady as well shows the max load at 2200fps for the 150 gr 7.62x39 and that again is with a 20" bbl.

So you've adjusted the .303 down to 16" bbl, and then compared it to a 174gr load claim for the 7.62x39 that there is no way in hades is in a 16" bbl.

I'll lay down the gauntlet, fellas. Show me a 7.62x39 load that will fit in an unmodified AR 7.62x39 magazine within SAAMI pressure max, with a 174+ grain bullet in a 16" barrel, that approaches 2200fps, from a legit source and I'll owe each of you a beer. wink

Edit: Notice I said "approaches" since VA didn't claim it would match it, but "knock on the door". Get within double digit fps and I'll take it.

Last edited by Foxbat; 12/06/11.

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Where did I say you'd get there with the anemic loads required for the SKS?

Hint: I didn't.

I have no idea WTF your issue is with this one, but damn....

The 7.62x39 IS capable of doing exactly what I said it would do loaded to it's potential IN AN AR or A BOLTGUN.

Why you have a hard-on to modify what I said, or what I said the parameters were to get there, I have no idea.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Did I say that I like the 6.8

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I cannot find any published/tested load data using bullet heavier than 150gr in the x39. There is s ton of user generated data that is of course untested and could be dangerous. Most of the data I found lists velocities around 2200-2270 with a 22 inch barrel. Convert that with QL to 16 inches and we get roughly 2160fps.

LoadData.com (Rifle Mag #117)lists an SKS (barrel length?)174gr load at 2092fps.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

The 7.62x39 IS capable of doing exactly what I said it would do loaded to it's potential IN AN AR or A BOLTGUN.

Why you have a hard-on to modify what I said, or what I said the parameters were to get there, I have no idea.

I didn't modify anything you said. There are several different conversation going on here at once. Attempting to bring them all into an apples to apples comparison is fruitless.

The "loaded to it's potential" is the subjective part that derails all of these comparisons, as we tread into "I'll go north of SAAMI, while you stay right there at SAAMI".

I mean, hey.... let's take the 6.8spc north to NATO 5.56 pressure (62,000 psi) and see what she'll do. The military loaded the 6.8spc up to 58K, so we've got lots of potential, that the 6.8spc hasn't used up yet.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

WOW! I like your new avatar

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

I didn't modify anything you said. There are several different conversation going on here at once. Attempting to bring them all into an apples to apples comparison is fruitless.

The "loaded to it's potential" is the subjective part that derails all of these comparisons, as we tread into "I'll go north of SAAMI, while you stay right there at SAAMI".

I mean, hey.... let's take the 6.8spc north to NATO 5.56 pressure (62,000 psi) and see what she'll do. The military loaded the 6.8spc up to 58K, so we've got lots of potential, that the 6.8spc hasn't used up yet.

JFC....

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Then, restrict them all to military issue ball ammo. I mean, the military uses only that stuff, so it's what you've got to base your opinions on, right? Can't handload anything in there that might increase performance, let alone do so safely.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Glad to know I can't handload the .303 Brit up in single-shot rifles, or the .30-40 Krag up in the same, or the .280Rem up at all, or the .30-30 Winchester, .38-55, .45-70.... Heaven forbid you actually load a cartridge SMARTLY to it's potential in a rifle that is DESIGNED to take those pressures.

Damn.... what was I thinking?

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
"I mean, hey.... let's take the 6.8spc north to NATO 5.56 pressure (62,000 psi) and see what she'll do. The military loaded the 6.8spc up to 58K, so we've got lots of potential, that the 6.8spc hasn't used up yet."

With all the pressure problems it's already had, don't you think this is a stretch? I mean with all the hotrodding done these days and the internet to spread the word, someone would have done it by now if it could be done.

Not a nickles worth of difference...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

and knowing Bill and Arne, neither would have any business setting a max pressure level. IE not enough knowledge there or testing equipment vs the bolts and pressures. Great folks and I loved doing some of Arne's test firing of the Grendel, but you have to have labs to set levels...

Like I've said before, I've seen more than a few oddball bolt faces in the AR15 guns, but mostly 223 faces. Guess which one I've seen loose a lug? 223....

This is from Bill Alexander.

Operating pressure is 50,000 psi

It is derived from the requirement for a complete durability cycle within the AR weapon system. Determination was from old fashioned fatigue analysis of the design and trials of the weapons. Ultimately the fielded rifles have the biggest effect as the fleet durability is what matters.

Whatever that means?

Last edited by steve4102; 12/06/11.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

it seems like a nice round, I am glad you like it. whistle

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

it seems like a nice round, I am glad you like it. whistle

Thank you

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R

This is from Bill Alexander.

Operating pressure is 50,000 psi

It is derived from the requirement for a complete durability cycle within the AR weapon system. Determination was from old fashioned fatigue analysis of the design and trials of the weapons. Ultimately the fielded rifles have the biggest effect as the fleet durability is what matters.

Whatever that means?

Like I thought

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Like I thought

What the hell is "old fashioned fatigue analysis"? Sounds like, Load em until it breaks, then guess where that breaking point is?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Makes you wonder. Arne would not do anything like that. If it was up to him, he'd have it tested out.

Bill though, well I just ain't sure about taht part...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
JWP and I have talked about this at length.

I have very little complaints about the 7.62x39, but the fact is, the 6.8 out-classes the 7.62x39 in every category; I consider the 6.8 to be about �state of the art� for an assault rifle. However, due to the exceptionally low cost of the 7.62 ammo, I choose the 7.62x39 because it does anything I will ask of it (I�m not TOO demanding) and does it WAY on the cheap. I�m not a big AR guy, I�ve always liked the AK for several reasons. If they could ever re-design the mag well on the AR to dump that POS straight, then curved magazine, I�d maybe jump on board. I can hit everything I want out to 400 yards with cheapo Russian ammo, so I�m GTG. Plus I use the finest magazine ever made; Bulgarian synthetic circle 10�s.

JWP is pretty happy with his 6.8 and hasn't had a lick of trouble. I'm betting in any shootin contest with his AR and my AK, he'd hand me my arse on a silver platter (he has class ya know); but at twice the price.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh, I don't know if you can discount the x39 when reloaded and tweaked for accuracy... you could ask a coyote on the otehr side of 550ish about it, well actually not since he/she is deceased from the X39 in an AR of my nephews(that'll teach him to walk away from the gun to chase a bunny rabbit.....)

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
those Arsenal AK's look pretty good.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

There is no such thing as a good looking AK IMHO

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Oh, I don't know if you can discount the x39 when reloaded and tweaked for accuracy...

Here is my x39 tweaked for accuracy. ASI conversion with true .308 bore.
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What no love for the worlds most popular rifle? Sadly our pampered lifestyles build no appreciation for its inner beauty.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I can't say that I have any love for the look of the AK either. And I typically don't care much.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't own or shoot one( I have since the 80s...)

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

There is no such thing as a good looking AK IMHO
It's Post-Modernist Industrial Art wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
those Arsenal AK's look pretty good.
They do look pretty nice, and mine shoots sub 3MOA, which is perfectly adequate for anything I�d ever want from an AK. I�ve yet to try it with Lapua ammo. The barrel is well made so I�m betting with very good ammo it�s a sub 2MOA rifle.

When I look at the current SGL line of Russian made AK�s, I just can�t see any of the slip-shod second rate manufacturing that the �experts� talk about. There are precious few machine marks on my rifle, and everything fits together perfectly.

Now I know this wasn�t always the case. But I do recall playing with a Vietnam capture Russian 2nd model (milled receiver) AK back when I worked for the Class 3 importer and it was also built very well.;

The Romanian AK�s look bad mostly because of the very low quality Parkerizing job that Century puts on them, along with the horrendously ugly wood. Clean one of those up cosmetically and you�d have a good looking, good working AK.

I think the AK is an excellent weapon for the kinds of engagements that most infantries find themselves involved in. I must admit, the two times that I found myself in a foreign land in need of arming myself, both times I chose an AK. Both were under-folders which was needed because I was operating in and out of vehicles, and in and out of areas where I needed to be very discreet. An under-folding AK tucks away nicely in a duffle bag or tennis racquet bag with a 40 round RPK mag laying alongside it. That�s a whole lot of firepower in a very small, very discreet package. There�s no wonder in my mind why the under-folding AK was the choice of terrorists around the world. It�s an extremely potent CQB weapon, utterly reliable, and remarkably compact.

My biggest complaint with my Arsenal/Izmash SGL-20 is the fixed stock. I�m a firm believer in, �if the design accommodates a folding stock, then it ought to have one.� You�ll notice that ALL Soviet/Russian AK�s made since around �89 are standard equipped with a very well designed folding stock now.

My only other complaint with the AK is the fact that they�re very front heavy. Most military arms are rather front heavy but the stamped AK�s just tend to seem a little more front heavy than most other rifles. The AR has very good balance for a military arm; that is as long as you don�t put a 2lb barrel, and hang a bunch of chit off the rails.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The gas piston is a large contributor to the front heaviness of AKs. Then add the upper & lower wood.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
3MOA really turns the sniper rifle crowd off and as well most bolt gun aficionado's. In life nothing is perfect, some stuff however just works.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BarryC
The gas piston is a large contributor to the front heaviness of AKs. Then add the upper & lower wood.
Yeah, and it's the size and mass of everything. The barrel isn't exactly skinny. The gas block and front sight base are both rather robust, and made of steel. The '74 style muzzle brake is anything but small. I think the biggest contributor isn't so much of what's up front, but what's not in the back. With a 1mm thick stamped receiver, there just isn't any significant mass behind the magazine well.

The AR's use of aluminum on the receiver, and then putting the recoil spring mech (with a heavy buffer plunger) really made the AR balance well for a military arm.

Still, the AK isn't horrible especiall when compared to all of the gunked up AR's. I opt for the side mount for my Aimpoint on my AK so as to put a little more mass toward the back, and I don't put any gadgets on the front. If I need a weapon light, I put my little Streamlight on the handguards with rubber bands made from old bicycle inner tubes. Works great, weigh's nothing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
3MOA really turns the sniper rifle crowd off and as well most bolt gun aficionado's. In life nothing is perfect, some stuff however just works.

I�m convinced that much of the true gun nuts in America these days are wannabe commandos who read far too many gun magazines, and spend WAY too much time at the shooting bench. Just yesterday I had a guy tell me he won�t tolerate a rifle that isn�t .5 MOA. Most people I talk to seem to think MOA is a requirement for any rifle, even a military one; when the reality is, few can hold 1.5MOA under the best field conditions.

A WWII vet will tell you that a Garand is a fantastic shooter and wicked accurate. Acceptance requirements for the Garand in WWII were 6MOA, but most will shoot just under 2.5 with good ammo. But in WWII the US fielded some of the lowest quality ammo (accuracy wise) of any of the major combatants. Seriously, you need to shoot some �06 with about a �44 head stamp; completely reliable, horrible accuracy. During WWII a sub 4MOA Garand was a rare item indeed (remember, that�s shooting �40�s ammo, not today�s stuff).

So even with 4MOA rifles, our soldiers had NO accuracy complaints with the Garand. That�s because they had FAR more practical experience than the bench-shooting �experts� of the day. They knew that their horribly inaccurate 4MOA Garands would do anything they asked of it, and they were right.

3 MOA on an infantry rifle is more than sufficient for 95% of what any battlefield soldier is likely to encounter. The Russians were big believers in giving the specialty jobs to the specially equipped. That�s why the Russians have used the DMR concept since before WW II and it has worked very well for them. It�s only taken us about 50 years to finally catch on. Something tells me when our current conflicts are over, the Army will give serious thought to integrating DMR�s into every squad; just makes so much sense.

Every internet commando thinks he�s a sniper, and since they never leave the bench, MOA is a requirement. I wield my 3MOA AK with complete confidence. I like the reliability edge and I�ll always err on the side of greater reliability. Few things could be more arse puckering than a non-functioning weapon in a firefight.

It�s no target rifle, that�s for sure. I may not take an enemy�s head off at 500m, but I seriously wouldn�t recommend allowing me more than one pull of the trigger. I can't count how many shots I've made with an AK that an AK supposedly can't make.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Still doesn't mean I can't ask/demand better accuracy than what I "should settle for" either.

Yep, .5 moa isn't required, but its dang sure nice to have on 300 yard head shots and such. I know that I impart more error to the gun, than the accuracy does, so I need and want every bit I can get....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Wow... that was a very informative read and good arguments by both sides.

But... it still seems that the 6.8 and 7.62x39 are pretty much in the same "30-30 class". Pick either for hunting within 200 yards, but neither is a deathray at 300 yards.

To be honest, I'd rather not shoot either at 300 yards. Both are rather wimpy, even when compared to a 300 Savage. I know the 300 Savage won't fit into an AR, but it looks like a freaking magnum compared to the 6.8 and 7.62x39. And not many people claim that the old 300 is an uber-deathray.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
almost daily there is a new cartridge created to be shoe horned into the AR platform. You can only do so much with the space constraints. Its a good thing in a way as there are as many opinions as there are Azzholes. Someone wants a flatter shooting more powerful loading, 6.X fills the bill, someone wants more than a 5.56 but is paranoid about bolt heads, magazines, platform longevity, and subsonic so whisper, BO, the next guy feels under gunned unless its a 400 grain chunk of lead as big as your thumbnail and there are 45 and 50 caliber guns. Then someone wants to shoot russian/commie ammo and there are uppers for that. Pick your poison if you can shoot, then any of them will work. Montana Marine did a quick load calculation on the Blackout with supersonic ammo, the muzzle pressure is 5,000PSI vs 11,000 PSI for a 5.56. To me this says lower dB's if even a supersonic load is fired inside a dwelling.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,286
Posts18,486,887
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.