Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I finally got a chance to fondle some guns in my search for a new one. I have a 270 win fw that is 40 yo, but I am looking for a light, easy handling deer and moose gun for here in BC in either 7mm-08 or 6.5x55. It has to be SS and can either be wood or tuperware.

I really, really liked the Winchester EW, fit and finish were nice. Same as the Featherweight SS.

X-Bolt felt like a kids toy in my hands. Small, flimsy and not finished that well.

Tikka T3 was not bad, just cannot get my mind past the plastic and the small ejection port........

The CZ 550 was very nice, but they do not make it in the caliber's I am looking for nor in SS

Both stores did not have any Marlin XS7 or Sako A7's to try out

One rifle that fit me was the Rem CDL in wood/blued, but the action was rough and the barrel channel was touching the barrel in two spots......

So that brings me my question.

Has anybody shot/own an Rem LSS Mountain rifle??? Are they a nice rifle to handle?? Shoot?? How has the craftsmanship been??

Any and all comments welcome.

Cheers

SS

If you shoot it on your own, they will cook it
If you don't, they will feed you something they shot.
Which is like having another man change your tire on your truck, NOT GOOD
HR IC

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've owned 2 and they shot great. If you can find one between $550-700 then grab one up. They fed, shot and ejected the case just fine. No feeding problems with standard short or long action calibers... not sure with the WSM's (hit or miss).

Good Luck

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I had one of the left hand LSS rifles several years back. It was a great rifle. The rifle had the laminated stock.

The only thing I did not like about it was the ultra high gloss finish on the stock. It was overly glossy. Does the Mountain Rifle you are looking at have that same high gloss finish?? Tom.

West By God Virginia
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From you title, it sounds like you are asking about the regular LSS, but the body of your message sounds like you are talking about the LSS Mountain Rifle. I really like the second, as I find the shape of the Mountain Rifle stock to be very useful and attractive. I think for long term use, I'd be tempted to replace the original stock with something like a McMillan Edge, because the laminate stock is pretty heavy for the light barrel profile, and can lead to some funny handling characteristics. Then I'd throw another 700 (with a standard sporter barrel profile) in it after opening the barrel channel up a bit. In fact, I'm currently looking for MR LSSs in .280 and '06 for Mickey Edge stocks I already have.

If you are talking about the regular LSS, I suppose it a decent enough rifle, but the looks of it don't really do anything for me. On the plus side, I think they were all made before the current Remington QA/QC issues, so it'll most likely be a pretty fair shooter. But fairly heavy.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (358wsm, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 26 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.