Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
corn starch,cranberry chutney(I don't know why),marinade for injection of turkey,fresh pies(tomorrow)and a centerpiece for the table. No one touches the cranberry dish and I am the only one on both sides of family who loves turnips so it's really kind of a waste to buy them but I do anyways.

Going to Wegmans at 11am was a very bad idea and a severe lapse in judgement. Friikem madhouse! If I couldn't practice law,I'd own a Wegman's store.

My son and I traditionally hunt the morning of Thanksgiving, as turkey comes back in for a day, so we prepare much the day before. Karen makes her traditional stuffing and, every year,I try out a new stuffing recipe which is quickly either thumbed-up or down by our household full of food critics who simply just get to eat and lie around watching football all day before they take 2 minutes to destroy what took hours to put together. Apps and drinks beginning at noon with our sit down happening at 2pm. And then at 3:30,5,730 and one last piece of pecan pie before I take a much longer nap than the two power naps I've taken already.

I dreamed that one hour into the cooking,my daughter's water broke and we all had to go to the hospital for 12 hours of a labor wait and the yorkies got into the food while we were away.

I love Thanksgiving.Even the yorkies get a pass. I love the hecticness of the day,the calls and drop-ins from friends,the wonderful blending of smells,save for my loved turnips, and my now adult kids speaking of real life rather than Game-Boy high scores.

I hope all of you have a healthy,comfortably peaceful and wonderful day with your loved ones and friends,including those friends outside our borders. Added special blessings and best wishes to those who selflessly serve this great nation.

Enjoy 24H!

Last edited by isaac; 11/22/11.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Had me drooling until you mentioned them snot apples. Gag.

Peace, good health, and prosperity to you all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, I love the smell of roasting turkey and stuffing. Appetizers during football doesn't help when it comes time to eat dinner, which we usually eat around 3. We're cutting (appetizers) down to just 2 this year, deviled eggs and mushroom caps stuffed with crab.

The dogs get their own dish full for Thanksgiving since we don't have any kids and it's just the 2 of us. We've already bought everything we needed to make dinner and the turkey is just about thawed. I can hardly wait for Thursday to get here!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your entire family isaac and to all here at the 'Fire!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like you got them all in the pen and the chute gate open Bob. Hope this Thanksgiveing turns out to be your best ever.

And a happy Thanksgiving to everybody else.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And a HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all from FL. We will be doing ours at the daughters and SHE is doing all the work!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
this will be my first thanksgiving in about 8 years, being self employed now, does have it's perks. We are having thanks giving at my wifes 89 yr old great grand mothers, and she insits on doing most all of it herself. we should have about 15 people there, give or take. I will be the official go get what ever was forgotten from whom evers house and probably spend most of my time putting up the christmas lights. Should be a good time

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I'm brining my first turkey ever. Using a gift set given to me by a client.Brine is a mix of sea salt,brown sugar,dried apples,cranberries,garlic,orange peel,juniper berries,malabar pepeercorns,thyme,rosemary and sage. Once I'm done with the 36 hours of brining,I'm going to put a rub around it and I was also considering a homemade marinade into the turkey.

Any of you gourmands have a homemade recipe for marinades you like if adding a marinade after a brining isn't too much,especially with a rub,as well? I'm roasting,not frying.
I have a tendency to over-do it,hence the advice.

Sam,Allen,Pat,byc,Leighton???

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I think you may want to pass on the marinade. Done properly, the brine will do the job. Be sure to rinse off all the salt after removing from brine and go light on the salt in your rub. Should be great. Happy Thanksgiving.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by isaac
corn starch,cranberry chutney(I don't know why),marinade for injection of turkey,fresh pies(tomorrow)and a centerpiece for the table. No one touches the cranberry dish and I am the only one on both sides of family who loves turnips so it's really kind of a waste to buy them but I do anyways.

Going to Wegmans at 11am was a very bad idea and a severe lapse in judgement. Friikem madhouse! If I couldn't practice law,I'd own a Wegman's store.

My son and I traditionally hunt the morning of Thanksgiving, as turkey comes back in for a day, so we prepare much the day before. Karen makes her traditional stuffing and, every year,I try out a new stuffing recipe which is quickly either thumbed-up or down by our household full of food critics who simply just get to eat and lie around watching football all day before they take 2 minutes to destroy what took hours to put together. Apps and drinks beginning at noon with our sit down happening at 2pm. And then at 3:30,5,730 and one last piece of pecan pie before I take a much longer nap than the two power naps I've taken already.

I dreamed that one hour into the cooking,my daughter's water broke and we all had to go to the hospital for 12 hours of a labor wait and the yorkies got into the food while we were away.

I love Thanksgiving.Even the yorkies get a pass. I love the hecticness of the day,the calls and drop-ins from friends,the wonderful blending of smells,save for my loved turnips, and my now adult kids speaking of real life rather than Game-Boy high scores.

I hope all of you have a healthy,comfortably peaceful and wonderful day with your loved ones and friends,including those friends outside our borders. Added special blessings and best wishes to those who selflessly serve this great nation.

Enjoy 24H!
$272.!!! Holy litigation, Batman.. I figger it'll cost me about $6.00...

Bless ya, Bob... And to everybody - have a great and SAFE thanksgiving..

For those with the deep-fryer turkey plans - DO IT OUTSIDE, in the middle of the lawn, if possible... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No marinade...Then it tastes like marinade instead of turkey....You probably should concentrate more on your CFB picks.....Happy Thanksgiving Bob...

IC B3

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
That includes adult beverages,wine and fresh spices,which have jumped a bit. Heck,my turkey and ham were almost 60 bucks.

Our turkey was a virgin and at the top of her turkey class. She was also not permitted to drink flourinated water.

Last edited by isaac; 11/22/11.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This year I'm driving over to Birmingham to spend Thanksgiving with my Mom. We will also be visiting my sister and her family.
Brother in Law does a ham and a turkey on the Big Green Egg.
I'll help Sis with the side dishes and dessert.
With 4 nights in a hotel, gas and chipping in on dinner, it's gonna cost me a lot more than just staying home. laugh

Sam......

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by sgt217
No marinade...Then it tastes like marinade instead of turkey....You probably should concentrate more on your CFB picks.....Happy Thanksgiving Bob...

+++++++++++++

[Linked Image]

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We haven't had turkey in about 8 years since my dad retired and quit getting turkeys each year. We always have ham and even had ham when we still did turkeys.

Other than ham we try to throw in something like duck or geese.

Otto is my co-pilot.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Come Christmas,my family has said they'd prefer filets or seafood because they've had enough turkey and ham to last them for another year.

William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Our turkey was a virgin and at the top of her turkey class. She was also not permitted to drink flourinated water.
Well then, that explains it.. smile

Come Christmas,my family has said they'd prefer filets or seafood because they've had enough turkey and ham to last them for another year.
That's the one that's gonna cost me.. It'll be a standing prime rib roast for six people - slow-roasted and nicely seasoned; with au jus and creamed horseradish sauce of course...

And I'm damn good with roasts, IISSM... I bet they won't eat a thing after this Friday just to ensure there will be no leftovers on that roast on the 24th....

Hehehheeee..

laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
You just gave me a great idea.

William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You just gave me a great idea.
oh oh.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Holy crap...$272.00!

For .99 cents you could have had a 5 star meal

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We use to do ham for Christmas too but a few years ago we went to doing prime rib. We will never go back to ham or anything else for Chistmas again. If you haven't tried the rock salt prime rib, your really missing out.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (BamBam, 44mc, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,485
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.