Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
BTW, one of the best ways to get a really nice custom rifle is to buy it used.
I did just that this spring. It was a full custom, barrel and stock on a Sako L579 action in 7-08. The blank for that rifle alone would sell for $1500. I paid $1750 for the whole rifle. It apparently hadn't evn been fired much. The trigger needed adjusting, etc.
No, I didn't have it built to my specs and I didn't order it. But it's an action I've long wanted, the cartriage is one I really like, a modern 7X57 if you will, and the stock and it's hand fitting/cherkering is something I've always coveted and thought I'd never own.
Another way to go. E

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I see very little mention of the newer CRF M70 actions (one post) compared to the pre-64 ones. Can others more knowledgeable than me give the pro's and con's of using the newer M70 actions for a custom build?

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I, as many of you, have too many rifles. (at least according to my wife!) That said, what is a classic? What is an ideal custom? Obviously, the answer is somewhere in what we individually have experienced, seen, touched, etc. From the time my dad first let me venture out on my own with a rifle, I carried a custom mauser. He had it build in '59-'60. So, while I own many different makes of rifles, several of those customs, MY first custom was on a mauser. Why? Because of the nostalgic aspect of it. It became a legacy as such, following in my dads foot steps. As it was to be a walking varminter, a sako or remington might have been more accurate or logical. A quality 'smith and components selected to make you happy is more important than trying to ring out the last bit of accuracy (in a hunting rifle anyway) CRF does provide a 'sloppy' feel compared to Sako/Remington etc, but emotionally it suites me well.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by harv3589
So if you were going to build a high end classy rifle, fancy grade hand made stock etc. What action would you choose and why?

Borden Rimrock

Originally Posted by harv3589
I look at my stainless Sako 85 and think blah.

I look at my Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM and think, "Gee, this is the nicest rifle I have ever owned."

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I found this post on the AR forum. Since pre64 M70 actions are hard to come by, without buying a complete rifle with the "nostalgia" price factored in, do folks with experience here think the Carolina M70 actions have any better design features such as gas handling, and have better steel quality and/or design?

Yeah, the newer CRF Winchesters, especially the early Classic's and now the new FN actions. Better steel, better heat treating, better machining, etc. The gunsmith Mark Penrod has told me many times that the newer actions are light years ahead of the pre-64s, he should know.

Nothing special about pre-64s except to a few groupies. Every pre-64 I have ever owned or seen looked like the receiver was polished with a sandblaster, machining was sloppy, accuracy only so-so. In my opinion they are crude and a relic of their time. I'll never buy another, the new guns are just too good. I have a South Carolina M70 Super Grade that puts custom guns I have owned costing 5 to 10 times as much to shame. The new M70s are spectacular.

IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used a Husky 1640 action once for a classy build. So far I'm very happy with the results. It's almost a Mauser smile
[Linked Image]

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ducttape
I found this post on the AR forum. Since pre64 M70 actions are hard to come by, without buying a complete rifle with the "nostalgia" price factored in, do folks with experience here think the Carolina M70 actions have any better design features such as gas handling, and have better steel quality and/or design?

Yeah, the newer CRF Winchesters, especially the early Classic's and now the new FN actions. Better steel, better heat treating, better machining, etc. The gunsmith Mark Penrod has told me many times that the newer actions are light years ahead of the pre-64s, he should know.

Nothing special about pre-64s except to a few groupies. Every pre-64 I have ever owned or seen looked like the receiver was polished with a sandblaster, machining was sloppy, accuracy only so-so. In my opinion they are crude and a relic of their time. I'll never buy another, the new guns are just too good. I have a South Carolina M70 Super Grade that puts custom guns I have owned costing 5 to 10 times as much to shame. The new M70s are spectacular.

I am in disagreement with what you copied above. For instance:

'Every pre-64 I have ever owned or seen looked like the receiver was polished with a sandblaster, machining was sloppy, accuracy only so-so."

Not correct in my view. I have the first M70 I bought new in 1957 along with a battery of them. The fit and finish on each is suberb and so is the accuracy. Back then I won a match and set a record with that 1957 M70. Perhaps its the writers shooting? Perhaps his eyesight is below average or worse?

" The new M70s are spectacular"

The new M70's that I have handled have safeties that are junk as comparted to the pre 64 M70's. The safeties on the new M70's are rough and cut into my thumb, difficult to operate and click when let off. Some of these new M70's have a very heavy bolt lift with the pin down.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ducttape

If this guy had customs costing "5-10 times" what a SC SG M70 cost ($5000-$10,000 ?),and the SC rifle put them to shame,he must have owned some really over priced shidt....he has obviously not ever owned a really good custom rifle of any stripe,and I doubt he'd know the difference,to be blunt.He is enamored by "shiny" stuff....I would like to know exactly which customs,costing thousands, he has owned and who built them....

I can tell he knows nothing about pre 64 M 70's,because he says they don't shoot....I'll leave open to speculation what really "can't shoot".... whistle

The SC rifles are nice rifles for the money,best left as is..None of them rise to level of a top quality wood/blue custom.The actions are very good ,and quality higher than the Classics in general.

I do agree with what he says about Penrod's opinion on what to use for a custom today....this view is shared by some other very good custom smiths as well.If putting a rifle in the hands of a guy like Penrod,I'll take the Classic. He will work out any bugs,and I want the old trigger.I don't like tearing up the old rifles anymore for a build.

The pre 64 was never intended to be a showpiece rifle with bright shiny blueing to satisfy the stary-eyed masses; like most things coming out of NH in those days,it was meant to be a reliable, accurate, and affordable "working" rifle,more like a Ruger today.Receivers were not "shiny", because what the doofus forgets, is that people used iron sights back then,and the finish on the receiver,plus the wavy lines on top, were both there to cut glare;not impress bozo's with shiny finish that they run to like rats to a Pied Piper grin....ditto the stipled front ramp.

If he thinks quality of pre 64 's sucks,he should examine a pre war,maybe even shoot it(what a shock! shocked. I doubt he knows what good finish even looks like.He is likely attracted to dago junk jewelry,polyester suits,and drinks cheap scotch as well .... sick

Reading crap like the quoted guy posted is further evidence of why you can't learn shidt on the Internet.... smirk

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/21/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree, for a M70 custom I want a low serial # Classic action. The new SC rifle would suit me fine for "off the shelf" hunting rifle.

Terry

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
An 03 Springfield in 35 Whelen.

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I guess I'm biased for the Pre 64 M70. Redneck and Charley Santoni did a wonderful job of assembling my 9.3x62. Charley does a wonderful job of photographing the work he does so I'll use his link. You can click on the photo and it will expand to really show the details. To my eyes, the midnight purple Cerakote looks more like blueing than Cerakote.

http://riflestockpainting.com/images/AG9362.jpg

My other Pre 64 is my beloved 257 Roberts that Glen Newell put together. This pic was taken the day it arrived.

[Linked Image]

Alan

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSSP
I guess I'm biased for the Pre 64 M70. Redneck and Charley Santoni did a wonderful job of assembling my 9.3x62. Charley does a wonderful job of photographing the work he does so I'll use his link. You can click on the photo and it will expand to really show the details. To my eyes, the midnight purple Cerakote looks more like blueing than Cerakote.

My other Pre 64 is my beloved 257 Roberts that Glen Newell put together. This pic was taken the day it arrived.

[Linked Image]

Alan

Alan, you've got great taste in rifles my friend...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
L
At my age I enjoy just seeing those Model 70's in the classic calibers. Like the other man said, you have great taste in rifles.

grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well...call me crazy, but I don't think you can get much classier than a single shot...Dakota, Hagn, Ruger, in that order, depending on how much you have to spend...

Todd

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Single shots are very high on my cool list. Never owned a nice one but always wanted to.

Terry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sako, either L57 for medium action or Riihimaki for small action and then some nice American Walnut with a Lilja barrel...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigSkyGuy
Well...call me crazy, but I don't think you can get much classier than a single shot...Dakota, Hagn, Ruger, in that order, depending on how much you have to spend...

Todd

Big time! One of my best friends has a #1 done by D'Arcy with a square barrel(octagon) on it that's totally to die for.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GSSP

[Linked Image]

Alan

That's very nice! Barrel contour?

Thx
Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 11/24/11.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya sharpel, those Sako's are nice. For a mini action I went with a MarkX Mini Mauser action. They need a little smithing to be brought up to standard though.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I should have clarified some........I meant genuine Classic Customs in the purest sense.

Hand done wood stocks & custom metal work, ala, David Miller, Jerry Fisher, Keith Stegall, Earl Milliron, etc.

Not nearly as many 'smiths of that caliber doing much work like that around now.

Then there's guys like Karl who makes super functional & accurate working rifles on 700's & McM stocks.

Very custom but very different.

MM

I would have to mention James Anderson of Newell, SD, formerly with Dakota Arms as a top tier artisan in both wood and steel. I've posted pics of the 223 AI he did for me on a mini-Mauser before. Excellent!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 16 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,894
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.