-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it acceptable to unscrew the eyepiece to make it fit in the tumbler?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I'd like to know that one too.
We get a discussion here every once in a while about this.
Blow off anything you can. Canned air is probably best for this.
I usually use a lense pen, either a Leupold or a Nikon. If I must, I use the capped smudge/smear remover. After a while, I replace it with a new lense pen.
This concern about degrading the coatings on the lense can apparently be comnpenstated for by buying optics with tough coatings. E

I don't use the smudge remover anymore, found some light scratches on a scope after cleaning and decided it might be a small hunk of grit in the fabric.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This concern about degrading the coatings on the lense can apparently be comnpenstated for by buying optics with tough coatings. E

How can you tell if you have these tough coatings ?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Easy - see if they degrade. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Well, we all know that super tuff, super hard coating, come with real catchie names like....diamond coat.......

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by fish head
Is it acceptable to unscrew the eyepiece to make it fit in the tumbler?

That's a really stupid idea there fish. Just get a bigger tumbler, like I did. Then you can put the whole scope in and do both lenses at the same time.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
So should I just put a new scope in the freezer bag I didn't use cuz I didn't bag a deer cuz I was too worried about dirt on the lenses? That should keep it clean.

Basically only for looking. Not for using in the field.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
So a lense pen is ok for light dusting or lint. What about the spots from rain water? I can't see them thru the scope only when I look into the objective end. Leave it alone?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Sheesh! You mean you guys actually take your scopes outside?? wink

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rbodenburg529
So a lense pen is ok for light dusting or lint. What about the spots from rain water? I can't see them thru the scope only when I look into the objective end. Leave it alone?

I an all seriousness, I wouldn't touch anything I own with the chamois end of a lens-pen, and the brush end is stretching it. If your lenses are real dirty, rinse them under a slow running sink or use a can of compressed air or lens brush to remove any sand, grit, dirt, then follow with a microfiber cloth and lens cleaning solution. Zeiss pre-moistened lens cloths work great also and you can buy them at the local Wal-Mart optical center for not a whole lot of money. A tip when using the Zeiss lens cloths is to double them up because the oils from your fingers can bleed through.

Having said that, my theory on lens cleaning is, the less you do it the better off you are.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When removing an oil smudge, the standard is usually acetone but this is done under strict guidelines as excess soaking of acetone can break down the seals and lens glues. Most of the homeowner cleaning solutions contain alcohol which will not damage the seals and glues if over applied. Zeiss cleaner wipes uses isopropyl alcohol. At one time they were using ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol. In a pinch, one of the European companies says to use Vodka. Eclipse is nothing more than a small bottle containing 100% methanol, also known as methyl alcohol, wood alcohol, wood naphtha or wood spirits. They sell it to be applied with Pec pads.

In addition, most frown upon using cans of compressed air, unless using specific types under strict guidelines. If done incorrectly, the propellants are at such an extreme low temperature that they can cause permanent damage to the lens.

You are always safe using clean water to flush dirt and mud, while using an air bulb to remove dust. Alcohol applied with a non scratching cloth or applicator to remove oil should be safe. I'd avoid any rubbing if the lens is covered with debris as it could act as a grit to damage the surface. I'd also not soak the lens in acetone, only use small amounts at a time.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I like my Nikon Lenspen. Works for me on my Z5's...

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
First while wearing safety glasses blow as much junk off of the lenses as you can. Then use 90% or purer rubbing alcohol or Acetone to flush more stuff off the lenses. (Do this outside with plenty of ventilation and away from sparks or flames as these fluids are flamable. Wear rubber gloves and safety glasses too.)

Follow up by using more of these fluids and a pure soft cotton cloth to remove any remaining film. A soft camel's hair brush works ewll too. Finnish with pure soft cottom lightly wiping the lenses.

These are more agressive methods but they work better than cleaning kits from camera shops.

Thank you.

Charlie Sunderlin

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Right from leupold customer service. What do you think of that?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I just pour the alcohol in the end bell and light it off with a match. Requires no wiping.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (Amos63, 7mm_Loco, AnthonyB, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,668
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.