Print Thread
Hop To
R
rl11 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I need a pac-style boot for work. I'm in and out of the truck all day, climbing up banks and climbing over barbed wire fences. I want to find a fairly cheap, very warm, waterproof boot.

I don't really care how they are for hiking, they'll rarely get used for hunting besides the occasional sit in the riverbottom.

I've been wearing my nice Danners, but I'm tearing the heck out of the airbobs on the barbed wire, and would like something a little warmer.

Schnees would be nice, but a little out of my price range.

I was thinking Sorels as well, but they're a little more expensive than I figured.

Anybody worn these? http://www.mickeymouseboots.com/
They look really uncomfortable.

Anybody else making a decent pac-boot that won't break the bank?

I'll spend more if I have to, but I'd really like to get by with something that I won't lose sleep over tearing up a bit.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pretty sure you need a pair of these:

Boots!

They look pretty warm.

Empirical results rule!
R
rl11 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Perfect...
I've got the same rainbow tattooed on the small of my back, it'll match perfectly.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
This looks like just what you're looking for: under a hundred bucks and made in USA

http://www.hanksclothing.com/northerner_insulated_top_lace_3_eye_pac_buy.html

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Matching IS important. How are they guys on the crew going to respect you if you don't match?

Empirical results rule!
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never used the Mickey's but spent two winters in the Infantry in AK wearing the Bunny Boots. Still got all my toes, even after walking up and down the pipeline all night at minus 54 on Jack Frost 79.

As for barbed wire, that'll [bleep] up any boot if you allow to happen, and once these Mickeys/Bunnies get a puncture hole in the outside and the felt insulation fills up with frost, you loose some toes if you get caught outside in subzero. We used to inflate ours slightly at that valve and submerge them in a tank, like checking a tire before every winter.

R
rl11 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by cra1948
This looks like just what you're looking for: under a hundred bucks and made in USA

http://www.hanksclothing.com/northerner_insulated_top_lace_3_eye_pac_buy.html

Do you or anyone else have a pair of these?
They look like what I need, but those soles look like they might turn in to roller skates on wet steep hills.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Had them years ago, no particular problem. Haven't had a pair recently. There are a couple of other outfits making rubber pacs in the USA for under a hundred bucks a pair (or maybe a bit over) but I can't remember the name offhand. Google is your friend.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You didn't define "cheap", but were I in your boots (grin) I'd be looking for a rubber type book with Neoprene uppers with a side zip. I have a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Burleys that I like real well. IMO, the neoproene uppers greatly increase the warmth and comfort over old school type rubber boots. Plus, if you get the 18" ones you can leave the gaitors at home too.

Though they don't have the side zip, something like this would be my choice:
Boot Link

PS- If you're tearing up your boots crossing a fence you're doing it wrong... wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would go to Murdochs and get pair of 13" Schnees. Should be about $140-150. Mine lasted about 3 or 4 Winters before the bottoms started to crack. Not bad considering I wore them everyday last Winter for about 4 months straight.

They will sew on new bottoms for $90 and the boots will be good as new.

And yeah, be careful on the barbwire or old board piles!

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/28/11.
IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These look good, for $100. 5-star rating.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69636?page=mens-pac-boots

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mickey Mouse boots/Bunny Boots are pretty much the standard around here. I find them pretty comfortable, but have friends that hate them. The white ones are bulkier and warmer - I run the black ones with two pair of wool socks and have used them down to -30 on a 70 mile snowmachine ride. Can't say I was comfortable, but I don't remember my feet being a problem.

They are certainly not perfect - if you puncture them and get moisture inside, you are screwed, as mentioned. I also don't know that I'd want to do a whole lot of driving in them, but that goes for all pacs. The big thing they have going for them is that the insulation is sandwiched between layers of rubber. So you can get them wet, swap out socks, and they still provide some insulation, as opposed to most boots with exposed insulation that will be worthless once wet.

It isn't all that uncommon to find overflow or open water, even when its cold out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 16penny, 14 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 759 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,966
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.