-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are great scopes. Durable with consistent adjustments. I wanted the 2.5x10, but I found that when in dark timber looking across or down into a ravine that the scope was noticeably darker than other scopes I own and use.

That was the only deal breaker for me. Had I been able to see, I would have one right now.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It lights up...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right, right. Until I really need it, and, it doesn't. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
"It lights up..."

Jeff the reticle lighting up does not make the scope brighter. It actually can work against the scope gathering light to see what your shooting at.

I love my two NF scopes for LR target shooting. I can resolve 6MM holes at 500 meters in good conditions....but to me the 2.3X10 was dark and had a small eyebox.
I would have bought one in a heartbeat, but I just plain didn't like it for big game hunting.

Lefty C

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SKane
Right, right. Until I really need it, and, it doesn't. smile

Lol, true. I completely agree that the reticle is way too thin. And lighting up doesn't help, probably, in brighter light but in the tangled stuff.

It's an odd scope. I could buy one WHOLESALE right now, and I'm not tempted even a little.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
427 yds. with an H&R handy rifle no less.

Spectacular!
Points awarded for the stock ammo sleeve...nice touch. whistle

laffin

Funny how even a girl with a chitty rifle can so easily connect them dots which you find impossible....
[Linked Image]

The "instruction" you're giving me on wind drift, Mils, MOA, dialing, parrallax, shooting deer at 35 yards, reticles, turrets, US Optics, and "newer" scopes is "priceless"

Though I do shoot a bit..
[Linked Image]

and pop more then a few rounds of MK262 MOD1 (feel free to google)... [Linked Image]

Been a tough week... only public land dinks so far...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Think I'll splatter one tomorrow in your honor...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Based on the target dimensions I gave above, I just make up a range card in 50 yd increments out to 850 that has Elevation in MILS/MOA and wind drift in inches for each range increment @ 1 mph.

This way, you can hold or dial if the range is not to extreme.

Example:

You know your target is 2 yds tall (man size) you read 2.5 mils @ target.

2 yards x 1000 = 2000/2.5 mils = 800 yds.

You refer to range card and @ 800 yds it says 24.2 MOA/6.9 Mils

Dial and shoot. Bingo.

When you have wind it takes alot more time, but is very accurate.

You multiply the range wind speed drift of 1 mph (800 in this case) x the actual wind speed, say 10 mph.

The 800 yd line on your card shows 3.3" drift @ 800 for a 1 mph wind.

You have a 10 mph wind so you multiply 3.3 drift x 10 wind = 33" of drift @ 800 yds for a full value wind.

If it is a 3/4 value wind, then multiply 33" x .75 = 24.7" drift.

To get the MOA ajustment divide 24.7" wind drift by distance 8.

24.7 / 8 = 3.08 MOA. to get mills divide your MOA by 3.5.

3.08 / 3.5 = .88 mils.

The wind sounds like alot but it ain't. It can be done in 30 sec. The card is really quick on elevation, the wind takes longer and a calculator is a must for me.

JM

Take the long way to school much??? I can just see you there with your abacus and note pad... "now he's 37.2 yards away in the dark timber and ravine, with a 6.4mph wind at .12 value.... and I only have 7.3mm exit pupil. hmmmm...."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dink bucks I'd have to pass on, but good enough for a beginner. Congrats.

But what is funny, is you trying to shoot sideways thru that hole.

Thanks for posting that pic. laffin.
Instruction on proper prone position may prevent the ocular from impacting the side of your nose Poindexter...

The hits just keep on coming. grin Please post more pics as they do a much better job of proving you a dumbass than anything I can post.

My note above was an effort to explain how to use Mils/MOA and convert them to a fellow member who asked.

I'm betting you wrote it down and are ciphering at this very moment...

The pics of your [bleep] up prone position, dink collection and deranged smurf stickers are truly priceless.

Thank you Long Ranger!

Laffin.
whistle

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
JM notice the the bolt handle is up and the rifle is on the ground. That is perfect form for that technique. Designed to shoot under low barricades such as cars. Try it some time you will see how difficult is really is. A micro dot gets mounted alot to make it easier than shooting using you main optic. They are respectible (not monster) bucks on public land in my neck of the woods.

That said the Nightforce optics are more than a few ounces heavier. I beleive buy the glass that YOUR eyeball says thats the one. Also the glass needs matched to the platform. NF is not an optic you put on a NULA. It is IMHO the best Benchrest scope going. The new low power modles would be perfect on an AR platform. Nightforce is a high end optic. They hold value as good or better than Luepold.

One time I had a grand burning a hole in my pocket. Decided I was going to get new Binos. I went to a local shop that carries everything from Simmons to Swaro. I was able to step out the back door and look through them all. MY EYEBALLS liked the Nikon Monarchs the best. Go figure, I would not have taken that bet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hi BP,

Being @ a 90 degree angle from the direction your weapon is pointed is not a recipe for success in LR shooting for most folks. I do understand your point.

That position could only be useful when shooting around a corner.

But shooting from under a vehicle in that manner is more difficult and provides less protection, as the entire length of your body would be exposed should someone try to skip a dozen or so rounds under the car.

Now if Formudiculous was playing army and pretending there was a wall there or he was in a building, the position is still incorrect as his bucket head is still exposed to wider angles of entry by being so close to the window.

The sensible method would be to engage the target in the correct prone position, as far away from the window or opening as possible that still would allow the shooter the necessary field of view.

Lying sideways with the barrel hanging out the window like a dick out of a zipper may look cool... like the smurf stickers on his stock, but I'll have to pass on that one as well... wink

Best,

JM

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I should stop.... but I can't....

Who could forget this jewel....

The only drawback I see on this scope is the fact that it is an SFP scope.

Which means you have to have that booger on 18X in order for your elevation and windage to come out correctly.

Or carry a card with corresponding clicks for different power settings and yardages.

Wonder why they didn't do it in FFP with that wide of a magnification range?

Wow. Is that a new fangled scope with differing click values per power setting? How does that work?

So you don't know what parallax is, think that dirt is bad for M1's, won't shoot past 450 yards (what happens at 451?), hunt the dark timber and ravines of Mississippi for whitetails at 35 yards, don't know the difference between reticles and turrets, but you know about snipers? Cool!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Formudiculous...You ignorant ass. smile

Mathman knew i was refering to the ballistic reticle and that is established in the thread you cite.

I'm flattered you spend all your time reading my posts. I hope you learned something....like how to shoot prone. blush

How can you possibly research all my posts and be out in the woods for 39 days hunting public land whitetails as you claim?

More lies...

I find this one especially amusing..

Originally Posted by Formidilosus
All 243 kills. Some where shot in the "thick southern woods", some were shot at 600 yards, some are 100 lb Al. deer and some are over 200+ lb west/mid-west deer. Some were carried out in packs, and one was pulled from the drink. A couple with 80gr. Barnes TSX, one with a 115gr DTAC, but almost all were with 95gr. NBT. Only one moved after being hit.

600 yds with a 95 gr. .243. Let's see... that would be close to 80" of drop with a whopping 540 ft. lbs. with a 200 yd zero, which is probably as far as you can reliably hit a parked bus.

I assume there was no wind that day... grin

But in case there was just a 5 mph breeze, you had to dial or hold for close to 19" of windage.

Which was it?

You're completely full of chit wannabe.

Thanks again!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think they gather light very nice. I have several zeiss scopes and they gather light better than they do. Not even close to a schmitt but half price.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Naw. Took all of five minutes to pull those jems. Admittedly it were a waste as there was zero chance you had a clue to begin with.

Feel free to comb my paltry 125 posts to see where I've needed someone to help so as to know the difference 'tween "clicks" and reticles.....

[Linked Image]

I know you can't read sign, but that'd be the craziest 95 grainer I've ever seen....

Only the clueless work in inches, ft-lbs, and zero at 200 when going long. Not much easier when shooting 600 then to zero for 600....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bullet pic.

Impressive.

It's been fun formiduculous, but you've proven yourself full of schit from the get go and unworthy of education.

You keep making make your 500 ft.lb. fantasy shots using your amazingly ass-backwards prone position.

Feel free to add dinks and stickers to your dreams.

later.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

OMG! My turrets are dirty!!!! eek

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Laffin.

I guess you did kill one in my honor. I'm glad the education worked.

Congratulations bud. I would like half of the meat. grin

Beats the hell out of what I have been doing the last 3 days...

JM

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
JM,

I got to ask. What or how much sniper experience do you have?

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 11/29/11.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Laffin.

Beats the hell out of what I have been doing the last 3 days...

JM

Arguing with me...? laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No,

Having a former super model trying to sit on my face for the last 3 days...

I'd rather be in the woods. smile

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 43 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,216
Posts18,504,034
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.