Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rattl3 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I recently ordered a McGowen barrel and will be trying out the Ackley Improved version of the .257 Roberts and need some good advise on fireforming the brass. I have reloaded for several years, just never loaded for an Ackley cartridge.

HR IC

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Buy some 257 Roberts brass or loaded cartridges and go shooting. You will come home with 257 AI brass. That's what is neat about the Ackley Improved design.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Books will tell you that you need to seat the bullet into the lands when fire forming, but I haven't found that to be true. There will be a crush fit on a standard case, and then you just let one rip. Voila...AI'd case.

I always trim my newly formed case after the first resizing to square up the neck. Other than that, same old same old.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was delighted to find that the Roberts rounds that I loaded to form brass was very accurate and velocity was good. I have used a variety of recipes over the years, often using the load Nosler noted as their most accurate in their Roberts data.
I have shot onlu a couple boxes of factory Roberts ammo, again accurate with good velocity. Good enough to hunt with if it became necessary.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ditto on Fishdog52, I have made up 2 of them, 1 for each son as there first center fire rifles, never bought any other, they have killed WT and Mullies, Elk and BLACK Bear, using 115 NPT's, I do the reloading and they have not wanted to go to 100gr PT for deer. All were 1 shot kills DRT except the bears, they went less then 50 yds. I fired formed all brass just shooting Win 257 Roberts+Ps

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rattl3:
The Nosler #6 manual, pg 196 has simple instructions for fire forming the .257 Imp. (40 deg. shoulder). Tho I haven't used nor shot my .257 Imp. in years, I fireformed cases using basically the same info in Nosler #5. Didn't have any problems.
Good luck, I think it's a very nice cartridge.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

R
Rattl3 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you all who replied. I am looking forward to getting my barrel in a few weeks. I guess I need to start looking for some brass and dies. Thanks again.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Have had 2 257 Roberts AI, my latest was chambered correct.

My first was not chambered correctly in a push feed Ruger Tang safety. A real pain to fire form brass, had to use a false shoulder to hold case back on fire forming.

If its chambered correctly bolt will be snug on closure on a Std
Roberts case.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Allen917
Buy some 257 Roberts brass or loaded cartridges and go shooting. You will come home with 257 AI brass. That's what is neat about the Ackley Improved design.

Yep. Great way to enjoy some carefree shooting!

IIRC mine shot sub-MOA w/ 36 gr RL15 under 100s smashed right into the lands.

W
W

Sometimes if you dont have a strong enough load the cases wont fireform completly. Some guys will say to use havy bullets and load them up close to max. But I just tried using some 87 grainers with a medium dose of rather fast powder, (I think it was 3031) and it worked great. The faster, peppy powder formed the cases perfectly. It is a good way to fireform on the cheap..

The 257AI is a fabulous round. Mine equals 25-06 velocities with much less powder.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There are two primary problems encountered when fire-forming AI rounds:

1) The gunsmith just cut an AI chamber in a factory barrel, without setting it back enough to get a crush-fit on factory brass.

2) Trying to fire-form previously fired brass. This eliminates the slightly rounded transition from the neck to the shoulder that crushes in new brass.

In either instance you'll get misfires and "short-formed" or stretched cases, sometimes even separations.

Different brands of brass also often slightly different dimensions. If you tell a competent gunsmith what brand of brass you'll be using, or give him a few cases, he'll be able to provide that nice crush-fit.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I've had good luck with the 25-06AI and the 280AI fireforming with the blank cream of wheat and Unique powder method. Start around 10 grains of powder and work up till you get the properly formed case. You can get about 95-98% formation with this with no need to fire a bullet. I built a PVC pipe trap to shoot into indoors to catch all the filler. Very quiet too, sounds like a firework mortar launched from the tube.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 160user, 49 invisible), 10,062 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,350
Posts18,546,635
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.