Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I spray with 100% DEET. I also rub flowers of sulfur on my neck, waist and wrists. I never get ticks at all.
Dusting pants, socks and boots with the sulfur will do the trick.

Last edited by eyeball; 11/29/11.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ticks follow heat.

Beg to differ on that one. A substantial body of reserch shows them responsive to CO2 also. Just google up ticks and CO2 and several manuscripts will come up.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/29/11.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Armstrong county by crooked creek park

If you really like something,you better buy two!
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
what are flowers of sulfur? and what kind of sulfur. The 100% yellow powder? Why did I not ever get ticks more than 10 years ago. I would spend days and days in the woods hunting grouse in the thickest of woods (birddog) and never got a tick. And my Brittany never got one and never put any kind of chemicals on him either.

Last edited by birddog65; 11/29/11.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hear you. Ive lived here my whole life and never remember ticks like this. Don't ever remember getting one here until the last few years. Now they're everywhere. Makes me not want to go into the woods!

Stush
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm known by name at Bee's gunshop.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Guinea fowl. They eat bugs. Bob

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
From Wikipedia:

A recombinant vaccine against Lyme disease, based on the outer surface protein A (OspA) of B. burgdorferi, was developed by GlaxoSmithKline. In clinical trials involving more than 10,000 people, the vaccine, called LYMErix, was found to confer protective immunity to Borrelia in 76% of adults and 100% of children with only mild or moderate and transient adverse effects. LYMErix was approved on the basis of these trials by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on December 21, 1998.

Following approval of the vaccine, its entry in clinical practice was slow for a variety of reasons, including its cost, which was often not reimbursed by insurance companies. Subsequently, hundreds of vaccine recipients reported they had developed autoimmune side effects. Supported by some patient advocacy groups, a number of class-action lawsuits were filed against GlaxoSmithKline, alleging the vaccine had caused these health problems. These claims were investigated by the FDA and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), who found no connection between the vaccine and the autoimmune complaints.

Despite the lack of evidence that the complaints were caused by the vaccine, sales plummeted and LYMErix was withdrawn from the U.S. market by GlaxoSmithKline in February 2002, in the setting of negative media coverage and fears of vaccine side effects. The fate of LYMErix was described in the medical literature as a "cautionary tale"; an editorial in Nature cited the withdrawal of LYMErix as an instance in which "unfounded public fears place pressures on vaccine developers that go beyond reasonable safety considerations." The original developer of the OspA vaccine at the Max Planck Institute told Nature: "This just shows how irrational the world can be... There was no scientific justification for the first OspA vaccine LYMErix being pulled."

You can thank the current tort system, "patient advocacy groups", and a generally scientifically illiterate American public for the fact that you cannot get a vaccine against Lyme disease, but your dog and cat can.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

And innoculation with a dead flu virus can give you the flu. Bob

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
When I was a lad decades ago a friend of my older brother had a stump tail boxer dog that had a ring of ticks arround his a nus that looked like pearl necklace

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I use permanone clothing & gear repel I spray my clothing (outdoors) liberally inside and out including hat, socks, underwear etc. The directions say not to wear clothing for 6-8 hours after being sprayed. Once dried I then tie them up in a plastic bag with lots of cover sent. Never had a need to use deet on exposed skin and I never find any ticks on my hunting clothes. Here in NC we have them bad too. If I do get ticks from yard work I take a bath with a cup of bleach added to the water and then into the shower with hot water and soap. It is my understanding that a Lyme carrying tick needs to be latched on for 24 hours in order to contract the disease from it.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
Ticks follow heat.

Beg to differ on that one. A substantial body of reserch shows them responsive to CO2 also. Just google up ticks and CO2 and several manuscripts will come up.

One of the useless facts that they jammed in our heads while I got my Biology degree was the hightened reaction of ticks to Butyric Acid that is produced in human

persperation. They had the highest response in the study to this chemical, once it entered the ticks umwelt.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first trip to Zimbabwe left my legs looking like someone took cigarettes to my legs from pepper tick bites.

The next trip I treated my clothes with permethrin and brought a bottle to refresh them while there (lasts a few washings). No tick bites the second time.

Permethrin rocks.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You think the NE has tick problems...

[Linked Image]

Carpe' Scrotum
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Peppermint.............In any form....

Jayco

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are surely responsive to sulfur.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Karnis
Permethrin works great.

Yep!

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (1lesfox, 160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,026
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.