Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
444afic Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've got a Doublestar 5.56 with the standard handguard, am thinking about buying a DPMS 308 with the standard handguard, and am wondering if I'm missing something. How much better do the free-float tubes shoot, in general?

Thanks in advance,
JV

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you really-really REALLY want those dime-size groups, then free float is the way to go. BUT, it should shoot really well without - I will wait for others to respond as to actual goupin's n' such

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Float the barrel on most anything and group size goes down. AR's are no exception to this, so I guess it depends on if one wants to spend the money and get the wrenches out. The gain in repeatability may not be worth the effort depending on what one does with a particular rifle.

Si vis pacem para bellum
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Do'nt put sling tension on a non floated one.

Rest a non floated one as close to the mag well as you can.

IMHO group size doesn't change much at all floated or not with an AR, but can depend somewhat on how "rattly" the non floated handguards are setup...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Free floating an AR does not make smaller groups but it makes shooting smaller groups easier. My first Colt shot 1/2" groups regularly so I was disappointed when it still shot 1/2" groups after installing a free float tube.

I have seen enough bolt guns with pencil barrels full length bedded that shot better than free floated to know to let the gun decide.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
that full length bed deal on pencil barrels is a non winner at times IMHO simply due to weight... you buy a skinny tube for a backpack gun... but then at times you have to put bedding all the way down and you could have had that in barrel weight... but I digress...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are just shooting in the woods with no rest or with a hasty rest, you'll probably never notice a difference. But if you are shooting sustained strings with a sling, a float tube makes all the difference in the World.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe it depends on how much tension the non free float is putting on the barrel as to if replacing with a free float will really improve the groups. I personally would have a AR without the free float tube .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So easy to put on, cheap enough, that OTOH, I don't know why anyone wouldn't...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
replacing with a free float is easier than changing a baby diaper.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Jeff, you ever weighed a whole package of Acraglass? It don't take much to FL bed a mountain gun and mine still come in at 7 pounds loaded and shoot 1/2 MOA, which they would not do free floated or with pressure pads.

I haven't had a non free floated AR in many years but people have the expectation that floating it will cut the groups in half, not always the case...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Don't do acraglass. Steel bed or Devcon 10110 or whatever that number is...

But my mountain gun may change that...

AR wise it floating doesn't do so much because the gun isn't a non bedded disaster like most bolt guns are to start with....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bea175

I built six from scratch, and replaced a couple and I must be doing something wrong. Often getting that barrel nut aligned took a great deal of time and effort, once or twice it was fairly easy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jkingrph
Originally Posted by bea175

I built six from scratch, and replaced a couple and I must be doing something wrong. Often getting that barrel nut aligned took a great deal of time and effort, once or twice it was fairly easy.

The only one i have built that took some doing getting the gas tube hole lined up was the Hogue Over Mold Free Float where you had to use a Strap Wrench. Broke two strap wrenches in the process.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,927
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.