E
Elk liver is YUMMY!!!

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
We've always been meaning to try it but either forget or it gets damaged. Beyond that, has anyone here kept the liver and how do you prepare it? Can I do the standard "liver and onions"?

Why not just eat dirt? Isn't it the same?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, I try to throw it away as far as I can...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Technically no, but in reality yes. I have eaten several livers from my red deer in Europe. Look up the red deer under its latin name and it is the same as elk. smile It was very good.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rikker
Properly prepared elk liver is just plain awesome. I would suggest trying a spike elk liver soaked over night in salt water rinsed and sliced about 1/2" thick. Cook the onions first then cook the liver medium rare. Salt and pepper to taste. Push the onions and liver to a separate plate and make gravy with the pan leavings. Serve over toast with a splash of Tabasco - that is GOOD eating!!

Goooood stuff, After the salt brine soak liver in milk for a few hours before prep. It takes the bitterness out.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by crowrifle
Take a parasitology course and then tell me how appealing that liver is.

That almost ended my hunting career! Was able to put it all in proper context.
I am glad to read no one suggested wrapping it in bacon. But I was hoping Mule Deer would chime in as he and the Mrs. might have experimented with it.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had elk liver from my elk this past weekend. Great with onions and cooked over the camp fire.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Just had elk liver from a spike elk I killed. Soaked over night in salt water.

Always check condition of elk deer liver and this liver was in good shape.

Thin sliced, Dredged in in flour, salt pepper paprika, garlic powder.

Cooked in olive oil, onions

Very good

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
First, I've never eaten deer liver, but have red deer, which again has to be reel close. I've found this to be true of white tail and espically true of red deer and sika, a cousin of reds and W/Ts. It is excellent unless the animal is in rut. In that case, toss it! When I was in Africa, they soaked it in something oily, something similar to Italian dressing, and grilled on a BBQ grill w/onions. It was real good, but I haven't been able to duplicate it here. capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yup I have but I prefer Peanut Butter and Jelly,my choice growing up in Elk camp over liver....Some of my family likes it so I usually bring it back butttttt if weight is an issue,the wolves can have it!!!

My Grandma fixin Elk Liver and I was gone....

[Linked Image]

Jayco

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never tried elk liver but I do like liver from a young deer. Pork liver is my favorite. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by tipmover
It was always a tradition in elk camp to have a meal with fresh liver and onions. Wasn't all that fond of it as a kid, but it is fantastic given a chance. The best way I have had it is a simple recipe..soak in salt water for several hours. Remove and bread with a 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp Mrs Dash. Fry till golden brown and remove from heat. Sliced onions are then cooked till tender..add liver back in with the onions to warm then serve.

Mrs Dash is the answer. That and cooking in bacon grease.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Well I see to some its great and to others its just dirt. Exemplifies a lot of extremes on topics we have here. I think for those who had experiences with the Depression or other similar hard times are more resourceful in utilizing more of what we kill. Not that it is wanton waste to discard the liver or heart, but a lot depends on your upbringing.

That is also true with what is used as food from farm animals.
Some of the old ways are disappearing.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
It's always been a tradition in our Elk camp to eat the liver and hearts from the kills cooked over the camp fire with fried potatoes. I think it's good. One of our group grabbed a cold left over liver slice out of the pan the next morning and slapped it between two slices of bread and ate it for breakfast. He said it was good but I'm not sure I believe him. :>)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ate a piece of my first elk's liver raw when we gutted her. It was horid.

For many years it was my practice to drive far out of my way to Burns, OR to give Francis Egan any liver I might have collected. With his passing I don't know what to do with the worthless things.

But Elk heart is mana from heaven.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Some like it some don't, I never been much of a liver eater of any kind. However liver & onions was always the traditional meal the night of a dear or elk kill. Soaking it in milk seemed to "sweeten" it up. Some was better than other, none of it was as good as the rest of the animal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a youngster some 50+ years ago one of my favorite sandwiches was buttered bread with cold liver and onions inside. Definitely must have been an aquired taste. As my dad used to say when I complained about meat or liver being tough he said- It's tougher when there ain't none.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Liver is guts and should be left with the guts. Now heart.... wink

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
L...liberal
I...internal parts,
V...vaginally discharged,
E...excreted by
R...repulsive prostitutes

you eat it, not me !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Well I see to some its great and to others its just dirt. Exemplifies a lot of extremes on topics we have here. I think for those who had experiences with the Depression or other similar hard times are more resourceful in utilizing more of what we kill. Not that it is wanton waste to discard the liver or heart, but a lot depends on your upbringing.

That is also true with what is used as food from farm animals.
Some of the old ways are disappearing.

You hit the nail on the head I think. My dad suffered the depression on the farm in Missouri, and strangly, I dont love liver, but I eat liver thanks to him. I will say that my youngest boy cussed liver, and while I was cooking it about 10 -12 years ago, the night before his uncle, granddad, and I left for Idaho deer hunting, I told him to try some of my first batch, and while I was BS ing with my brother in law and cooking the next batch, I looked around and Jake had eaten the entire first batch. He's liked liver ever since.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 62 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.