-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's all good. Put it this way, like shooting a shotgun, if you see the arrow(bead) you're aiming. If you just see the target, you're shooting instinctively. They both have advantages.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ltppowell
It's all good. Put it this way, like shooting a shotgun, if you see the arrow(bead) you're aiming. If you just see the target, you're shooting instinctively. They both have advantages.

I've never heard it put better.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
As each of IS different, and how we think and act IS different, what works for each of us IS going to be different.

The key to learning is to keep an open mind.

Don't be afraid to try something different...there is always something to learn. The difference may benefit YOU.

When I was first learning to shoot my recurve, I shot split finger, with a canted bow. That was how I saw the old timers doing it.

But since I also have and enjoy using my compound bows too, for me, I found it simpler to maintain a more consistent type of shooting form that would not detract from one bow type to the other.

So today, after experimenting and teaching others how to shoot both traditional and compound bows, the simplest is:

Stand straight, perpendicular to target, shoulders squared, with bow vertical, bowhand lightly gripping bow (always bring the bow to you, do not bend your neck to bring your anchor point to the drawing hand),
Draw and anchor, by using your back muscles to pinch your shoulderblades together, keeping your drawing arm level to your arrow and in-line with the arrow (anchor point and split vs 3 finger under dependent upon your own comfort and proficiency level), with most of the draw weight on the first finger under the arrow nock,
Aiming, arrow must be in a straight line from under your eye to your point of aim on target (instinctive aiming vs gap shooting dependent upon your comfort and proficiency level), keep your form square and aim by twisting or bending at the waist, but remember to focus on your point of aim, or else it won't matter how you shoot...you will miss it!
Release, whether you use a dynamic release or a static release, it must be clean, with no outward movement of the release hand, and keep the bowhand pointed at the target, until after the arrow reaches the target.

This is just a good starting point, and I do not imply that this is the best way for everyone.
Some body types do not lend themselves well to this exact style, and there will have to be adjustments made accordingly.

I prefer to shoot three finger under (or Comanche style) as it has proven to be the most accurate for me. It brings the arrow closer to my eye, so that I can focus on my point of aim more effectively, and yet still see that my arrow is perfectly in line from my eye to the target.

I also find that for beginners it is easier to keep the arrow on the shelf of the bow, as they aren't putting pressure on the arrow with the one finger over the nock, while they are struggling with learning to draw and anchor, and having the arrow come off the shelf all the time. Frustration leads to no fun and a tendency for some to give up too soon.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,487
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.