Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Guys need a price check on a Win. 94 Big Bore in .375 Win. Pre Cross-Bolt Safety. The one in quetion is in 85-90% condition with main issue being blueing loss on left side of receiver where a receiver sight was mounted. Asking price is $469.99.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Winchester only built this rifle for 3 or 4 years...starting in '78 or '79.
I have seen both top eject and angle eject. The top eject model I have also seen with a Monte Carlo stock.
Have seen prices ranging from 350 to 600 dollars depending on condition.
The ammo isn't as available as it once was...do believe they have stopped production now. Which means brass has probably stopped too.
The guns are extremely fun to shoot, with decent accuracy for a lever action. Best used on big game out to 125 yards with 200gr bullets.
Have taken plenty of moose and bears, and one caribou with the cartridge. Very effective!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMHO, the price is right.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
F
F
I paid 100.00 more than that for mine a few years ago and was happy with the price. Most of the ones I had seen started at about 600.00 and went up to 900.00 or so. I think that is a very good price.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That's a fair price. Don't worry about brass and bullets cuz they're still in production.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Excellant price and rifle! Best with the 250gr bullets, 200's are not very accurate, the hornady 220's a bit more accurate but had them blowup on a small black bear. Hawk, barnes mayby kodiak sill make a 250-255gr bullet. Shot a med brown bear with the 250 power point, facing me (25yds), went thru front shoulder, stomach full of wet grass and lodged in hindquarter with a perfect mushroom. A great rifle/cartridge combination!

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I was thinking the price was right. Just been hesitating to pull the trigger on it. Hello potential Christmas present... If I get it should I run factory open sights or put another receiver sight on it?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'd grab it. I've got a top eject and it's a nicely finished gun. Really fun to shoot. Paid that much for it before Winchester stopped making the in the levers in the US and the price has gone up since.

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
D
dph Offline
D
I would get it for that price. I've had mine about 10 years; top eject Williams receiver sight. As said before, fun to shoot and accurate. I mostly shoot 220gr Hornadys through mine.

Top rifle in picture
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Would a standard Williams receiver sight fit or does it have to be specifically for the 'Big Bore' model?

IC B3

D
dph Offline
D
The Williams sight for the Big Bore is different because of the wider rear of the "reinforced" Big Bore receiver. A standard sight for the 94 will not fit

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
That's kinda what I figured.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I paid $500 for one that, so far as I could tell, had been fired one time, then put in the safe forever. I have 2 boxes of factory ammo minus 1 shell. At the time I saw quite a few on Gun Broker for $800-ish.

I picked up a couple bags of brass about a year ago through Midway. I had to wait a couple months but eventually it showed up.

The Hornady 220 grain flat point over RL7 seems to work pretty well. I've not tried Barnes Original 255 grain but it seems a likely candidate as well. Doesn't matter, I bought 1000 of the Hornadys, that oughta keep me killin' [bleep] for a LONG time.

Yes, you'll need the special Williams receiver not the standard one.

Seems like a pretty good price you found. If I were going to do it, I'd probably pick up a 3-5 bags of brass, but if you can't find any, you can shorten .38-55 and not load it full throttle. Its not really an elk cartridge even loaded to max .375 win performance (because of the bullet construction) and at .38-55 speed it's a heck of a deer and black bear cartridge w/o having to jack it up. There's not that much in between the two sizes to hunt in the lower 48.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

"......not really an elk cartridge"...?? Your elk must be a lot tougher than ours.

Winchester still produces the factory ammo but it's a seasonal round. I have a 1st year Big Bore and a Ruger No3 in 375. I love the caliber.
Tomcatt

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JBLEDSOE

"......not really an elk cartridge"...?? Your elk must be a lot tougher than ours.

Maybe we don't know how to cook 'em properly. smile smile

Seriously, I've had 2 people locally report failures on elk with the .375 Win. One was himself the shooter, the other was a friend of the shooter, but the shooter was someone I know by reputation. In both instances the report is of shots apparently going where they shooter intended to hit the elk. I have no first hand reports of people known to me, or even second hand reports by people known to me, of success.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't shoot an elk with the .375 Win but 'til I have a string of successes to reflect on, I might be a little more cautious about shooting elk with the .375 than I would deer with a .30-30.

Since you seem to take exception to my statement, let me ask you, how many elk have you personally killed with the .375 Win?

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (Anaconda, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, BallisticBRYAN, 6mmCreedmoor, 6 invisible), 1,498 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,409
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.