Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bigJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am building a lightweight 338-06. I have a Ti action, and plan to use a 23-24" #2 (maximum #3) contour barrel. I need help deciding between the RMR, hunters edge, sporter, and KS.
I really like the shadow line cheek piece and checkering pattern on the sporter, but like the weight of the hunters edge. I was told to have a look at the RMR, and KS. I like the way the factory RMR's feel, but dont care for the looks of their cheek piece. I always thought the RMR and KS were the same stock just one with checkering the other without. In truth I havent found a KS to look at so I dont know what they are like. The goal is to have the weight as close or even better - less than my weatherby ultralight in 338-06 (6.75lbs)
Sorry to ramble on, and sorry for yet another pic my stock thread. Thanks for your time

Last edited by bigJ; 12/06/11.
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
If you like how a stock fits go with that. Edge Construction is another hundred and will get you well below your weight goal...

RMR in edge, #3 tube (not sure you can get a #2 in 338) should handle and point like a fine shotgun... Sounds like a great build.....

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
B
bigJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks woofer, I should have specified, it will get edge fill no matter which stock I choose. Although the RMR feels good its the only one of the list that I have handled. frown

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With a Ti action and a #2 contour barrel a KS would be a fine combo. Did you ever have a chance to check out the 1st Gen Ti stock?? If so the KS is similar overall but the grip is much nicer.

The Mountain Rifle is great, no wrong choice there as with the Hunters Edge, but I'd go KS before a Hunters Edge.

The Sporter is great - until you see the fore-end which is huge!! I had one & hated it, and like most here its a love or hate thing with that stock. I'd not do that one with a #2 contour.

So I would suggest the KS as a perfect option - unless you don't want to do a ADL - it only comes in ADL.

I'm sure more will chime in but again the KS is a fine stock.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
B
bigJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for your input on the sporter and KS. I dont want a fat forend, and I dont want ADL. This is a 1st generation Ti and I have the original stock. I would love a Mcmillan version of it, but only if its a BDL version. What do you have against the hunters Edge?

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would either go KS or Classic for what you are doing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
why don't you just have the bdl conversion done to the TI stock and be done with it all and save yourself a ton of money?

I Kill Things......deal with it..
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Anyone have an idea why the will not build a KS with BDL metal?

Rick
B
bigJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I too wonder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigJ
I too wonder.

The KS was only ever made as a long action ADL, I had emailed McMillan and asked about a short action and they said nope one flavor only LA ADL since thats what a KS was/is.

Hunters Edge is a fine stock but with the bigger contour the balance might be a bit funky??

"Team 7MM-08"
IC B3

B
bigJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I too wonder.

The KS was only ever made as a long action ADL, I had emailed McMillan and asked about a short action and they said nope one flavor only LA ADL since thats what a KS was/is.

Hunters Edge is a fine stock but with the bigger contour the balance might be a bit funky??

Thats too bad, the KS sounded like it was just the ticket... but I dislike ADL stocks. So when you earlier mentioned the sporters forend being big? Are you talking longer than normal, or is it chubby?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I prefer the edge/compact pattern. I don't like the forearm length of most of the patterns

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too wonder.

Thats too bad, the KS sounded like it was just the ticket... but I dislike ADL stocks. So when you earlier mentioned the sporters forend being big? Are you talking longer than normal, or is it chubby?

Not longer - thicker almost like a varmint rifle type fore-end or an A-series stock so yes "chubby" is a good way of saying it. Hard to explain unless you can see the stocks side by side to compare. There is an old thread showing them side by side in a picture, I'll try and find it and you will see.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 12/06/11.

"Team 7MM-08"
B
bigJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks OregonMuley, I would love to see the pic.

Has anyone converted the KS to BDL themselves?

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too wonder.

Not longer - thicker almost like a varmint rifle type fore-end or an A-series stock so yes "chubby" is a good way of saying it. Hard to explain unless you can see the stocks side by side to compare. There is an old thread showing them side by side in a picture, I'll try and find it and you will see.

Hmmm, now you have me curious. I have Classics, a couple of Mountain Rifles, a KS, and a Sporter. I'm gonna have to look a little closer at them when I get home.

Last edited by KDK; 12/07/11. Reason: forgot something

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's pretty easy to convert a stock from ADL to BDL.

If you like your Ti stock, just dremel it out.

B
bigJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have converted a couple stocks (including a Ti) in the past - I just wondered why the KS wasnt offered as such.... if it was something in the construction preventing it, or just a decision Mcmillan made.

Last edited by bigJ; 12/07/11.
B
bigJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by KDK
Hmmm, now you have me curious. I have Classics, a couple of Mountain Rifles, a KS, and a Sporter. I'm gonna have to look a little closer at them when I get home.

Any chance of a bottom profile pic of them side by side?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have converted a couple stocks (including a Ti) in the past - I just wondered why the KS wasnt offered as such.... if it was something in the construction preventing it, or just a decision Mcmillan made.

The Remington Custom Shop KS was never built as a BDL - only ADL. When McMillan made the KS stocks the only mold used - was a ADL this per email I got from Dick @ McMillan. No ADL, no short action.
I suppose you could convert one??

"Team 7MM-08"
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KDK

Any chance of a bottom profile pic of them side by side?

Well, I'm in SoCal until the 22nd, so it's gonna be a while, but sure.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,032
Posts18,500,580
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.