Hop To
Page 20 of 48 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 47 48
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes,

But some days you can do no wrong....

I had just helped my partner haul a whitetail buck down to the road. I unloaded my chamber before doing so.

We ran into another buck hauling that one out on the bikes [we hunt an area closed to motor vehicles].

I was a little surprised and confess to being a little shook up. After I scrambled down a cut bank and through some brush to get a shot, I squeezed on a set safety first and then on an empty chamber. The deer walked off-I suspect boredom...

Just then my partner called out that a third buck was just off to my right. It took off running at the shout but I managed to kill it.

Interestingly enough the second two were both mule deer.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by scopey58
Maybe this point has been made somewhere in the middle of this thread, and if so, I'm sorry to repeat.. But do any of you consider the type of firearm being carried in your decision to carry hot or not.
For example, I do not carry any of my Rem 700's hot because the safety can and has been bumped to "fire" position when carried slung, or over my shoulder. Never had that happen w/ my model 70 when carried on full safe. Still not a good idea tho, since firing pin is cocked.
Similarly, my Encore muzzleloader is difficult to cock hammer with that scope on there.

Yep.
Just askin..
John

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been hunting White tails in PA for the past 40 years and always have a round in the chamber. The safeties on my firearms work just fine, my finger stays off the trigger until needed and they are never pointed at or near another human. I taught both my boys the same.

I never even heard of anyone hunting without a round in the chamber until I started reading this. Must be a location thing. I don't know of anyone who does in PA.

Statistically, I am pretty sure hunting with a hot chamber is still much safer than just driving to and from the woods. I am probably more likely to get hit by a stray meteorite than my gun is to go off unintentionally. Hunting with a cold chamber is much adieu about nothing in my opinion.. but to each his own.

Luke 22:36
εγώ δεν θα συμμορφωθεί
O
O
I normally hunt with a dry chamber, especially if others are around me. I will chamber one if I have reason to beleive that there is game nearby. I have seen to much with firearms accidents in the military and out to chance it. No deer or elk is worth the possibility of an accidental discharge especially if I have to live with the results. I have never missed an opportunity because of a dry chamber in years of hunting. I can imagine that hunting in very thick cover would not allow for a dry chamber, and I have never had to hunt in extremely thick cover.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
said earlier that 99.9% of the time carrying hot aint a big deal

This % indicates that for every 1000 who carry hot there is one accedent. I think you need a half dozen more "9's" on the right side of your decimal point.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny feeling I get, the hot chamber guys are honest.
I don't doubt MOST of the cold guys do carry cold..but I have a feeling they are not being totally honest about when.
And it's always funny to read about going in cold after wounded Grizzly and such, just plain stupid.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rem_7
I don't doubt MOST of the cold guys do carry cold..but I have a feeling they are not being totally honest about when.

Especially with regards to those upland bird coverts... wink

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
nothing like pluggin' rifle mounted spotting scopes and hot chambers

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Guys that claim they would be empty in a blind and load when the birds started to land must have never duck hunted where I have...

And you can forget pass shooting as well...

Guided hunts are hot. Like in any blind that is shared, one man calls the shot. If a safety is heard to click before he gives the word, you have probably experienced your last day in that blind or on that place.

JM

honestly John only blinds ive hunted in for waterfowl were improvised but i always carried hot, no steel blinds cause we changed spot depending on lots of factors....reason being walking is taken out of the equation....no tripping or any of that to worry about, easy to keep the gun pointed in the direction you want.....

Last edited by rattler; 12/06/11.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrentD

as i said in my post, different situations and more importantly different terrain.....

deer country:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

bird country
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like it's possible for you, but if I guy can't sit on his azz or stand in one place without shooting himself or someone else, he needs to find another hobby..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or walk and not capable of deciding whether it's too rough to empty or not..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i hunt with my wife, my kids, my buddy's and their kids......and unfortunately safteys fail, ppl trip and guns go off.......even if its rare that someone gets shot, rather not we be some of the unlucky ones......am i a bit anal about it and have beat it into my girls heads when hunting with a rifle to keep the SOB unloaded til your bout ready to shoot the deer and check often to make sure your gun is unloaded, yep but in the scheme of things its a pretty minor thing to take chit over....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So why do folks unload when crossing a fence? Where is legal, would you keep one in the chamber if in the vehicle? On the 4 wheeler? So long as the safety is on and it's in a safe direction it shouldn't matter.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kids are different and circumstances vary..one should be able to make that decision on the circumstances at hand...you can't tell me it's 100% cold all the time.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Nothing trumps a good education of safe gun handling.

In all the hunting camps I have been in and that is considerable,this coversation about carrying cold has never come up. In PA,MI,an TX there are at least 600,000 hunters in each state and I never met one that carried cold. Nor I have never heard it mentioned there. In CO,I have never met a hunter doing it. Most when approached by another hunter, in thier party or not, simply open the bolt or action. Hunter Education classes do not promote cold carry, CO DOW does not, NRA does not in it's hunter saftey classes. Nor have I seen it editorilized it in any gun rags.Being an NRA certified instructor,I have not run across it in any instruction manuals.

Yet there are the few self righteous on here that proclaim that you are an idiot if you carry hot.Then there are those that proclaim walking around with a hot chamber with a shotgun,bird hunting, is not the same as walking around with a hot chamber big game hunting.Ditto ML hunters.

Hunting is one of the safest sports to take part in. In CO alone there are over a dozen a year fatalities that occur on the ski slopes from real idiots sking into a tree, and yet the average is less than one fatality or even injury every 2-3 years from hunting related gun mishaps.

Yes we can hedge our bets on safety.We can add the feature of carrying cold,and we could add the feature of carrying rounds in our pockets, or even be too frightened to leave the house. There is a point though when hedging our bets borders on being rediculous.One can temper the process with the circunstances.Lifting the bolt handle when crossing treacherous terrain, opening the action or removing the round when crossing even more treacherous terrain ,ie fences, streams,etc, carrying the firearm in such a fashion that should we mistep,the muzzle is pointed in the safest direction.

Each scenario has to be treated differently.If you are out on open land, stalking pronghorns or elk on sage brush flats, or shootinh 600+ yards, you usually have time to chamber a round.Stalking elk or whitetail in close confines when your shots are at 15 yards or so and have to be accomplished in seconds,it is not.

With children,it is an entirely a different world.On this forum at least,it seems parents are starting thier kids off way too early in hunting. I would suggest for the firts few years,the parent or mentor,carry the ammunition and only give it to the youngster when a shot is imminent. I have seen way too many youngsters fiddling with the action and end up not knowing if there is around in the chamber or not. Unlike some states,CO has an age minimum on buying a license and hunting. I think this is great as it takes a certain amount of maturity to fully fathom the reality of death and what happens when a bullet is sent down the barrel.

Whether one carries hot or cold,it is a personal choice. If you don't want to hunt with some one that carries either way don't. Whatever the choice, does not make that person an idiot.Calling someone an idiot does though.

Another missed condom opportunity.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If you're talking about Steely , if he says it is, it is.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
And it's always funny to read about going in cold after wounded Grizzly and such, just plain stupid.

That is a given. If I was going after anything dangerous that was wounded or cornered that would be hot. That is just common sense. Location,and situation will determine if I load hot.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BrentD

With all due respect Brent you are talking two different situations. This was posted on a big game forum not a upland bird forum.

If I found myself in a combat situation I would carry hot. A deer or an elk are not out to ambush me.

I load hot when shooting sagerats off a bench. I would load hot when calling varmints as there is a chance you could end up with a bear of cougar in your lap in my country. I will carry cold when walking in on a deer hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kids are different and circumstances vary..one should be able to make that decision on the circumstances at hand...you can't tell me it's 100% cold all the time.

rare thats someones kids aint with us.......bout the only hunting i do alone is a lil bit of upland bird....

carrying cold, even in the timber hasnt caused me or anyone i know to miss a deer......damn near lost a cousin that was carrying hot and tripped in rough country, tumbled and put a bullet in his gut, he was lucky it was a 22 pellet gun and not a deer rifle....

Last edited by rattler; 12/06/11.

Page 20 of 48 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 47 48

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

366 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 309coug, 17CalFan, 16penny, 39 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,872
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.