Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by ranger1
Bigbuck215 - No trapping as far as I know - They are classified as big game.

Seems strange that genuine predators are classified as "big game."

Why's that?

Black bears, brown bears, mt. lions, African lions, leopards...

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing like making filling the wolf quota as difficult as they can. MT FWP doesn't want to see the quotas filled, they just want people to feel like they got a chance. If they were serious about filling the quotas it would be just fine to use e-callers and trapping as a means of filling the quota. Happy Birthday Sheridan!

Close they just want to collect that tag money.

NRA Lifetime Member
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Baiting is perfectly legal here--limit is 2 per year on hunting lisc--unlimited on trapping lisc.
Good job.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Nothing like making filling the wolf quota as difficult as they can. MT FWP doesn't want to see the quotas filled, they just want people to feel like they got a chance. If they were serious about filling the quotas it would be just fine to use e-callers and trapping as a means of filling the quota. Happy Birthday Sheridan!

Close they just want to collect that tag money.

Why wouldn't they? They cost money to manage. You don't think that a wolf is a worthwhile animal to hunt?

On the issue of game callers and Trapping. They will have to come around to get the harvest. I know for a fact that's what most of the personal in MTFW&P's want.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
regular dying rabbit call works for me..........better yet find a kill.........drag into a goog ambush spot and wait.

IC B2

M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks guys.I've called coyotes since I was a teen, and have calls for that. I've also heard a coyote howl will work? As far as following the elk, a majority of our local herds live on the valley floor these days to get away from the wolves. I thought I may get lucky and find one on my elk kill as I made two trips on different days to pack it out. I plan to wait a bit for some new snow, and try to cut tracks where I've noticed a trio of wolves have been traveling. As far as wolf howl calls, do they howl at any time, or just specific times. mtmuley

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will start filming a wolf hunt on the 14th. Not sure if we will find any, but I will be howling to get replies and determine locations. Then, will move close and use bear calls to get them to give us a shot. Bear calls sound like a deer getting gutted alive. I think they will be much louder and sound more attractive than a rabbit distress call.

Will give a report of how it works, if it works.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
BigFin, Have a location yet? Our local wildlife group has a drawing for a new rifle open to anyone that tags a wolf in the Southern Bitteroot. A little extra incentive to meet the West Fork quota. mtmuley

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Muley - The 'Root guys, specifically your club members, have given me the lowdown on that and posted the details over on our website. I really like the idea. You guys have a great club over there. I admire the way you guys get things done.

I have called every hunting buddy I know, in any place there are open quotas, asking if they are seeing any wolves. Have tags, rifles, and cameras - will travel.

If we get no tips, the plan is to try reduce the Madison packs, given how far that area is from the quota. And, it is the place I hunt elk when I don't have a limited entry tag.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They aren't easy to find. I hunted moose and deer in Alberta this year and they had a big pile of carcasses of deer and moose a few hundred yards behind the skinning shed and the only thing that would come eat them were coyotes and birds. There were wolf tracks EVERYWHERE while hunting but they would only come 100 yards from the carcass pile. Had them howling around me several times, but could never get close enough to see one. Tough animals to hunt for sure. Very impressed that Alberta gives you a $150 bounty for registering a kill. If you look at one the wrong way in Oregon you'll get arrested.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Athabascan method.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
O
O
Well, I heard, from a third party, who does not live in the U.S. that the best way to leave no ballistic evidence, is gut shot with a fmj 223. Makes em real sick, but able to move on far enough to crawl into a hole to recover? Parvo puppy bodies helps keep their health up too.

Otherwise, cow elk calls seem to show some promise, along with other non electronic varmint calls.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Orehunter
Well, I heard, from a third party, who does not live in the U.S. that the best way to leave no ballistic evidence, is gut shot with a fmj 223. Makes em real sick, but able to move on far enough to crawl into a hole to recover? Parvo puppy bodies helps keep their health up too.

Otherwise, cow elk calls seem to show some promise, along with other non electronic varmint calls.

Why would shooting one with a FMJ .223 leave no trace of ballistic evidence? Why would your 3rd party buddy have to act illegally where wolves are concerned? Your spew just raised another $500,000 dollars for Earth Justice.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have heard that BS about gut shooting them several times. If you are going to shoot one do it, then go home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My friend shot one two weekends ago. The pack of 5 were called in with coyote howls and were found around the elk! Good luck all!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm getting set to get after the rascals, thinking it'll be a super Christmas present to myself...grin

I've called them in 2x b4 so feel confident I can do it again. Hope to has some good pics in the near future.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man I wish I had time to get over on the other side of the state. Good luck to you guys! Who knows, maybe I'll call one in chasing the yotes up here on the Milk.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gonna be a nice day tomorrow, and I can't get after them!

Arrrgh!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Maybe I have the wrong idea about wolves, but I thought the goal was to get rid of them as fast as possible?

Why are they putting limits and restrictions on hunting them? Treat them at least like coyotes. They're certainly a lot bigger problem than coyotes.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

412 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,859
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.