Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a Vari-X III (3�-10) riding in Talley aluminum mounts on a Remington Model 7 stainless in 7mm-08, and I dropped it on a rock last week while hunting. The scope hit first, and though the rig is a pretty solid affair, the rock didn't move. Instead, it put some scratches on the side of the ocular bell.

I went home for lunch, and before going back out I took a couple of shots at 50 yards. Two holes, almost touching, one inch high -- no harm done. So here's the question: what would you do to hide the blemishes? The scope is a matte black finish.

Thanks.
Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
black sharpie

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Keep hunting it and call it a character mark...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flat black paint applied with a q-tip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DoeDumper
Keep hunting it and call it a character mark...

Yep.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
I have a Vari-X III (3�-10) riding in Talley aluminum mounts on a Remington Model 7 stainless in 7mm-08, and I dropped it on a rock last week while hunting. The scope hit first, and though the rig is a pretty solid affair, the rock didn't move. Instead, it put some scratches on the side of the ocular bell.

I went home for lunch, and before going back out I took a couple of shots at 50 yards. Two holes, almost touching, one inch high -- no harm done. So here's the question: what would you do to hide the blemishes? The scope is a matte black finish.

Thanks.
Steve.

Steve, I feel your pain, I really do. I hate dinging up scopes. With a stock you can usually repair it, and with the barreled action, well, that's just gonna take some scuffs and scratches the more you hunt with it. I suppose scopes do to, but I hate it when I ding one of mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some items just look worse with a hack-job "repair". Scopes fall into that category. Stainless steel can be blasted and synthetic stocks can easily be painted, but I think scopes are best left alone.

Now with even more aplomb
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Flat black automotive paint pen works well and is much more durable than a sharpie. The paint is also thin enough not to "glop."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's the best idea and you can also get the same thing from Birchwood Casey called a Touch-Up Pen in flat or satin black.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Birchwood Casey makes a product called Aluma Black. Kinda like a cold blue. Apply it a few coats at a time. It chemically reacts with the aluminum and gradually blackens it. End results will vary depending on the exact alloy the aluminum is. Typically you get a fairly dark black matte finish.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JPro
Some items just look worse with a hack-job "repair". Scopes fall into that category. Stainless steel can be blasted and synthetic stocks can easily be painted, but I think scopes are best left alone.

Agreed. I think that even the marks on the stock and stainless steel are simply character marks and better off left alone unless you want to professionally refinish the whole thing.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That scope is way too big for a Mod Seven which caused it to be unbalanced. You probably didn't even realize it. I would sell the scope in the Classifieds and sell the rifle to me ASAP.

$350 shipped sound ok?

Just kidding, actually the Touch-Up pen does a fair job if the "character" marks bother you.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Character marks -- I agree, those aren't so bad. I can't expect never to get them, but all I want to do is minimize them.

And yes, it might be a little big for a Model Seven, but I'm OK with that. It used to be on my 700 in 7mm magnum, but when I sold that I didn't want to part with the scope. I thought I'd put it on the Model Seven only temporarily, but after using it for a few seasons, it'll stay on that rifle.

I'll look into the Birchwood Casey Aluma Black. Sounds like it will work as well as anything. Thanks.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
black sharpie

Yep, thats what I would do.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I hunted with this dent in my scope for years. As long as it holds zero just hunt with it.
[Linked Image]
I used that scope with the dent in it for a long time and killed a bunch of critters. Probably 15 years after denting it I was sending Leupold a couple of scopes for turrets so I sent that old dented varri-XII in for a warenty checkout, the tube was bent so Leupold sent me a new scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jamie
Probably 15 years after denting it ... Leupold sent me a new scope.

Yet another example of why I run Leupolds on 99% of my rifles.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I have heard many stories of Leupold unconditionally repairing or replacing their products. A remarkable commitment to their customers, not so common these days.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The guy that invents a cost effective repair for scope ring marks and scratches will get very rich. Anyway, I have used Sharpies as well as everything else mentioned. Some match, some glop, some aren't even close and make the fix look worse. One thing I've used that is a good color match, is durable and fairly easy to keep from glopping is the black pens that you use to mark permanent numbers on plastic cattle eartags. Any feed store that sells eartags should have one.

To ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.
NRA Benefactor Member
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd simply point out that the fact that the scope held zero speaks well for it. E

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hunt it. Who cares about looks on a hunting gun? You hunt or show off? At least I"ve never taken time to touch up scratches on any weapon I own...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 219DW, 21 invisible), 1,792 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,765
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.