Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Well after 20+ years of applying, my dad drew a Tule Elk tag this year. La Panza Period 2 Bull. We were lucky enough to have some friends with a couple small ranches in the northern part of the unit, so we knew we had a decent chance at seeing some elk. We hunted the Carrizo Plain area hard and walked over a lot of country, but only to see the elk wandering around on the private ground. Even then we didn't see any good bulls.

So we went to plan B, and moved north onto some property we had access to. We saw some small bulls right away, then we ran into the large herd of mostly cows and real small bulls. On Day 3 we finally ran into some good bulls. Two groups of about 7-10 bulls in each group! Big boys too! We took our time and really looked them all over. The real big guys were broken up, one who was just a monster with huge brow tines was busted off on both sides above his 3rds. Anyways, we weren't in any hurry and weren't in a good position to shoot anyways. So we let them go for the day, didn't want to push them too much. Came back the next day, and they are nowhere to be found...

Fast forward two days later (after lots of miles and seeing nothing except the large cow herd...) Its foggy as hell, we climb up to our usual glassing spot and we can't see more than 200 yards. Just before we decide to head back down until it clears up, we walk one more small ridge... I see my dad start making all kinds of fast movements and getting down on the ground. Well sure enough across a hillside are two bulls bedded down. They have no idea we are there. I tell him to just get in position. I'll range them and check them out to see if we want to shoot one. Well they are both pretty good, but one is a little better than the other. And compared to the 20+ bulls we looked at, he was definitely one of the better being that he still had most of his rack. I tell my dad "the lower one" and after settling in, he lets it fly. Hits the bull a little forward, the bulls stand up dazed. He sends another and knocks him down for good. Needless to say, we were stoked!! Dads first elk, and well deserved! He's a six on his right side with a 7th point broken off, and then his left was 5, but broken off as well. If he was fully intact he would have been at least a 7x7, but still nice regardless!

[Linked Image]

also a video I made of the hunt (kill shot is in there too)
http://vimeo.com/32765660

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good stuff right there, hopefully one of these days I'll draw, I typically put in for FHL though.

Is there decent public access out on the Carizzo Plain?

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Out of the 6 bull tag holders, they drew two names to hunt DFG's Chimineas Ranch, so there is that chance. Then they have The American Ranch (also on Carrizo), which is 15,000 acres I believe? That is open to everyone (no vehicle access though). Its the wide open, not a single tree, terrain you see in the video. Lots of guys tag out there, but the elk also love to hang out just outside the boundary on the private land. We hunted it, and saw fresh elk sign everywhere. So there is decent opportunity on the public land.

Last edited by bobby7321; 12/08/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Welcome new member !

Nice bull. A real treat to see California elk here on the Campfire !

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
They have native pronghorns there too, but I don't know if they ever issue tags for them.

In April it is the snakiest place I've ever been, including SEA, Panama, and the Snake River! We don't even try to hunt with dogs in that area until it's had at least one freeze.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes, that is really cool. We've seen elk and one Pronghorn buck right off of Hwy 46 while headed to Paseo Robles. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hey E: Thats funny. I fell into a trance and almost crashed my truck checking out 10 antelope just off the Hwy in Glen County on Halloween....

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for post the video.

Congratulations on the Elk.

Welcome to the Campfire, hope you stay for a while.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Father-son hunts for elk are about as good as it gets- unless your daughter hunts. Awesome job!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on a Great Hunt.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats! Your Dad must be stoked!! smile

GREAT video btw!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Congrats to both of you!!! Nice video too..

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice video. Looks like a great time with your dad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice Video and a great bull!

Last edited by 338rcm; 12/08/11.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good job, congrats.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Way cool

Very hard to get drawn in California for elk or lope. Even more so for sheep.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Great video. A friend drew that tag last year also and shot a nice bull. His did a swan dive off a cliff and fractured his skull.
I have max points and apply every year, someday I will draw a tag.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Outstanding! Congratulations.

A lot of people have no idea that kind of country, and that quality of hunting is available in California.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by GuyM
Outstanding! Congratulations.

A lot of people have no idea that kind of country, and that quality of hunting is available in California.

I grew up hunting under mountian pine, white fire and alpine meadows and it holds a special place in my heart. But, living in CA there is something wonderful about hunting under live oaks and golden rolling hills. Awe who am I kidding, I love hunting anywhere.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Squirrelduster
A friend drew that tag last year also and shot a nice bull. His did a swan dive off a cliff and fractured his skull.

How's your friend doing now? Any lingering brain damage?

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (163bc, 1lesfox, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,515,032
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.