Print Thread
Hop To
B
Buddha Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
MY son worked all summer and bought him a Rock River AR-15. Can anyone comment from experience how they performed and what rounds they shot in it for hunting and plinking. I plan to reload for him so he has plenty of quality ammo for hunting. He loves hog hunting with it. Gotta get some smaller 5 shot clips for it. The 30's are too long an hard to shoot outta box stands. Any suggestions on a hunting scope. The Trijicon scope on its great for upclose competiton and you can shoot quarter or just slightly bigger groups at 100yards but thats it. That is from a bench. I know with a hunting scope we could do better. Thanks for any comments.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good questions. I, too, am new to the AR world and look forward to the responses.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
lots of different ARs by rock river... never had a bad experience with them, but you have to use the ammo that gun prefers which can be different to each gun.

A side note says, that 25.5 Varget with a CCIBR4 and a 69 sierra in an LC case, is pretty much a norm standard testing load for years... IE if that load won't shoot MOA or less, I'd suspect a gun or shooter problem.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
if its stamped 5.56 dump 26.5-27 grains of TAC in a case, stick a 62 grain TSX in it to mag length and rock on...

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've had no troubles with the exception of operator error with any of the Rock River products I've had. Still own two. Reliable, accurate, servicable, and a manufacturer who is second to none on service for the customer.

If it helps my choice of handloads are as follows:

Prairie dogs and rockchucks get Hornady 50 grain V-Maxes in front of 25.5 grains H-335.

Everything else gets Sierra 55 grain spitzer boattails in front of 25 grains H-335.

Not very imaginative but it works.

Nikon makes a great scope at reasonable prices; I have had very good luck with the ones I have. Have you thought about the Nikon M-223 series?

Si vis pacem para bellum
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
At least as important as the glass is the mount. Don't fool around with any rings or mount not intended to be put on an AR. Rock River Arms make fine rifles and have great customer service.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What model did he get?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
Buddha Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Right off hand...Im not sure of the model. It is a 16" barrel and has all the rails hand grips harris bipod etc. on it. The guy put 3000.00 originally in the gun with the case, clips and sling. I got the whole thing from him for 1700.00.

Gun
All rails
Trijicon Illuminated Scope
Harris Bipod
Foward hand grip
Adjustable but stock
Front and rear sites
Sling and case
5 clips and 90 rounds of ammo
We were going to buy a new Para Ordinance but the guy had this one used...about 30 rounds was shot in it before we bought it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Buddha,

Welcome to the 'Fire!

Take a look at Rock Rivers' website or this company; [color:#FF0000]Class 3 Weapons[/color] and it might help you figure out exactly which model you have.

Also, take a look at Rock Rivers' HiRise Scope Mount when you decide which scope to put on it.

I have a Rock River Varmint Special with that mount and a fixed 12x scope. I love it. Mine has the 1:8" twist barrel.

I use 20rd magazines (please, NOT clips smile )and have no problems shooting prone or from a stand.

Best wishes for your new acquisition!

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 12/13/11.

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Buddha
MY son worked all summer and bought him a Rock River AR-15. Can anyone comment from experience how they performed and what rounds they shot in it for hunting and plinking. I plan to reload for him so he has plenty of quality ammo for hunting. He loves hog hunting with it. Gotta get some smaller 5 shot clips for it. The 30's are too long an hard to shoot outta box stands. Any suggestions on a hunting scope. The Trijicon scope on its great for upclose competiton and you can shoot quarter or just slightly bigger groups at 100yards but thats it. That is from a bench. I know with a hunting scope we could do better. Thanks for any comments.

Great that it shoots quarter inch groups. What ammunition are you using?

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a RRA middy with a LW profile barrel and wylde chamber that has performed very well. I has several thousand rounds down the tube as of right now. I have just been shooting factory ammo through it. Mine likes IMI surplus ammo. Both m855 and m193. It has decent accuracy and is loaded to the 5.56 true potential. Centurion's 55gr fmj ammo is pretty good as well. I have been putting 64gr winchester power points down range for the larger critters and have been very happy with the performance. I have not had much reason to change anything.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Did he mean 1/4" or the size of a quarter coin?

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Ruger280
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Did he mean 1/4" or the size of a quarter coin?

My RRA is surprisingly accurate, even with its chromed barrel. I'm not sure if it will do 1/4 MOA, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The part about "with a hunting scope could do better" is throwing a flag for 1/4 moa being what he meant. I could be wrong.

I bought a LAR-8 Predator last week. I hope to get it broke in and see what she'll do during the holidays. smile

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Ruger280
The part about "with a hunting scope could do better" is throwing a flag for 1/4 moa being what he meant. I could be wrong.

I bought a LAR-8 Predator last week. I hope to get it broke in and see what she'll do during the holidays. smile

I was thinking the same thing. I don't have a scope mounted on mine, so I don't know what it's true accuracy potential is, but my holo sight is more than accurate enough for what I do with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He said "the size of a quarter". A quarter being about 15/16", to me, that means roughly about a 3/4" c-t-c group.

I really don't think another scope is going to help that significantly, a 16" barrel gun being a 300yd or under rifle as far as I'm concerned.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

433 members (1936M71, 222Sako, 160user, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 11,464 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,345
Posts18,546,522
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.