Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
378Canuck,

You still haven't answered what magnification level you think is necessary. I use fixed-power scopes from 2.5x to 10x--and believe me, 6x, 8x, or 10x isn't the handicap most people believe, even at short range. I've shot running big game as close as 10 yards with a 6x, and I've seen a number of animals killed at 50 yards and under with 8x and 10x scopes.

Are you using variables over 10x?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I often have to use my rifles rather quickly and I like the scopes mounted low. ( the comb need to be lower as well) That is one reason I like the old standard Weaver rings as they are the lowest when coupled with Leupold steel bases.
Another advantage of the Leupold compact scopes for that purpose is that they have a smaller eyepiece diameter so the bolt will clear when they are mounted low.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
378Canuck,

You still haven't answered what magnification level you think is necessary. I use fixed-power scopes from 2.5x to 10x--and believe me, 6x, 8x, or 10x isn't the handicap most people believe, even at short range. I've shot running big game as close as 10 yards with a 6x, and I've seen a number of animals killed at 50 yards and under with 8x and 10x scopes.

Are you using variables over 10x?

My favourite scope is the 3.5 X 15-56mm it handles all hunting situation from long prairie shots to close in low light condition when hunting black bear. The only handicap is the weight but on heavy hitters some extra weight on top seems to hold the muzzle down, I always hunt on 3.5 and never leave on high power this is must, lost a black bear shot many years ago over that. Have muzzle brakes on my larger rifles but remove them when I hunt. POI doesn't change as some would suggest, I've spent many hours shooting at targets with brake on and off. I seldom find myself cranking up past 10x unless I,m trying to count horns. I use my scope as a bino since I find binos get tangled in the brush or are fogged up or many other reasons to not carry the extra weight. I've used a few small binos in the past, but they are living in the forest somewhere after they fell off my belt and another the strap let go. I got tired of buying and losing them.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
378Canuck wrote
"I use my scope as a bino since I find binos get tangled in the brush or are fogged up or many other reasons to not carry the extra weight. I've used a few small binos in the past, but they are living in the forest somewhere after they fell off my belt and another the strap let go. I got tired of buying and losing them."

Sure hope I'm never in the same area with you, The reasons are obvious. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by 458Win
I often have to use my rifles rather quickly and I like the scopes mounted low. ( the comb need to be lower as well) That is one reason I like the old standard Weaver rings as they are the lowest when coupled with Leupold steel bases.
Another advantage of the Leupold compact scopes for that purpose is that they have a smaller eyepiece diameter so the bolt will clear when they are mounted low.

Thanks Phil.

BTW - How exactly did you maount that piece of picatinny rail to your rifle?

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
No one is mentioning fixed power scopes. Would those with experience with both types please take it up?

I just received my second Leupold 1.5-5 off the brown truck today, got it remounted on the 505, the first one broke the cams? in the scope.

The one that came in today had a new erector assembly installed, hope it holds.

Gunner

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Good luck

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

Good luck

jwp475, any recommendation's?

Gunner

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I like the S&B 1 1/4X4 S^B or the 1.5X6

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

I like the S&B 1 1/4X4 S^B or the 1.5X6

Thanks jwp, I'll check 'em out, if this one starts acting goofy.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hizzie

Thanks Phil.

I simply drilled a hole in the forend and used epoxy to glue in a six inch section of picitinny or Weaver rail. I placed a spacer under the barrel to hold it where I wanted it and taped the rail to it until the epoxy dried

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
378Canuck,

Thanks for the info.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I like Phil's rifles-They were hired to work

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
X2 for the posilock Burris Signature Safari. Heavy but tough, inside and out. I believe that the only stouter scope out there is iron sights! I don't believe that they're made anymore. If I see another, I'm buying it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
I use my scope as a bino since I find binos get tangled in the brush or are fogged up or many other reasons to not carry the extra weight. I've used a few small binos in the past, but they are living in the forest somewhere after they fell off my belt and another the strap let go. I got tired of buying and losing them.

378Canuck
a) I'm super glad Canada is a very large country.

b) You wear your binos on your belt? Maybe that was why you kept losing them. Perhaps you should try again and use a bino harness?

c) You mention earlier that "counting horns" is not a good idea after you've shot it (yes, I understand Canada's limits far too well) as the CO's frown on that behavior... what do you think the CO thinks of you pointing your rifle at an unidentified target, perhaps a human being? I know what I think...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks Phil.

I simply drilled a hole in the forend and used epoxy to glue in a six inch section of picitinny or Weaver rail. I placed a spacer under the barrel to hold it where I wanted it and taped the rail to it until the epoxy dried

[Linked Image]
Mr. Shoemaker, you own some awefully ugly guns, I like them VERY much! Congrats. I may have to 'borrow' the picatinny rail/flashlight idea. Very neat and practical.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by pointer

Thanks Phil.

[Linked Image]
Mr. Shoemaker, you own some awefully ugly guns, I like them VERY much! Congrats. I may have to 'borrow' the picatinny rail/flashlight idea. Very neat and practical.

I'm bettin' those rifles have saved a train load of human hide grin I'm just wondering if Phil is left handed, noticed the little fixed Leupold is turned 90 degrees counter on the stainless rifle.

Gunner

Last edited by gunner500; 12/16/11.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UncleJesse
I use my scope as a bino since I find binos get tangled in the brush or are fogged up or many other reasons to not carry the extra weight. I've used a few small binos in the past, but they are living in the forest somewhere after they fell off my belt and another the strap let go. I got tired of buying and losing them.

378Canuck
a) I'm super glad Canada is a very large country.

b) You wear your binos on your belt? Maybe that was why you kept losing them. Perhaps you should try again and use a bino harness?

c) You mention earlier that "counting horns" is not a good idea after you've shot it (yes, I understand Canada's limits far too well) as the CO's frown on that behavior... what do you think the CO thinks of you pointing your rifle at an unidentified target, perhaps a human being? I know what I think...

If you can't tell the difference between a 4 legged creature versus one that walks on 2 legs you shouldn't be hunting. Hunters wear orange and even men working in the forest wear some thing bright. I never scope people and if it's so far away that you can't tell the difference- no sense lookin at it.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

If you can't tell the difference between a 4 legged creature versus one that walks on 2 legs you shouldn't be hunting. Hunters wear orange and even men working in the forest wear some thing bright. I never scope people and if it's so far away that you can't tell the difference- no sense lookin at it.

We don't have to wear orange in BC. Can't recall the last time I saw anyone wearing orange in the woods here.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Well UncleJesse,

On the whole Canadians I've known are brighter than your average American. But the USA does attract smart people to immigrate here for better opportuniy.

But that's a different discussion...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,504
Posts18,490,610
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.