Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SU35
The greatest hunters are the ones that take game the closet....with primitive weapons....not from extreme ranges....I find your videos along with Best of the West repugnant.

And yet another idiot imposes his own ignorant opinion on the rest of us.

Check out corey006 post here...
I have my choices nailed down to 3 scopes.

The 2.25x16 Bushnell Elite 6500 with DOA reticle

The Zeiss 4.5x14 Conquest with Rapid Z 800(or 1000)

Leupold VX3 4.5x14 with CDS.

I am leaning towards the Zeiss.....

I am pretty sure the CDS system works much like the Custom GreyBull Precision Leupold optic seen here...

YouTube - GreyBull Precision Long Range Hunting

He's shopping long range scopes then makes the remark above??

He's just your typical window licker, nothing more nothing less.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by corey006
1 question for John Burns.
To me the real thrill of hunting is how CLOSE you can get to an animal and ethically harvest it....long-range sniping of animals seems to fit the bill for either 1 of 2 style of hunters....The Lazy....or inept...which one are U?

Well that is a tough question. Normally I don�t like pigeon holing myself into a response on an open forum.

I also don�t feel like I am so one dimensional that I have to choose between lazy and inept. Why can�t I be both?? blush

I do get your point that on some days the lazy might be more prevalent but then again I can be really inept even while I am lazy and I sure have been known to be lazy on those days when my ineptitude is simply off the chart.

Hope this help clear things up for you fella. laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Have you EVER lost/not recovered a wounded animal while filming these long-range shots???....be HONEST!

To me the real thrill of hunting is how CLOSE you can get to an animal and ethically harvest it....long-range sniping of animals seems to fit the bill for either 1 of 2 style of hunters....The Lazy....or inept...which one are U?

The greatest hunters are the ones that take game the closet....with primitive weapons....not from extreme ranges....I find your videos along with Best of the West repugnant.

Corey: Just curious.....What type primitive weapons do you hunt with?

Do you use a scoped centerfire rifle at all in the hunting you have done?

What is "extreme range" to you?

At what distance does a hunter transform from "lazy and inept" to "highly skilled"?

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/10/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess us AZ guys that hunt Coues and have to take shots at 400,500,600 yards with our gear are unethical. Gosh I feel so ashamed of myself.
Guess I should be ashamed of myself too for letting a client from PA kill a MD buck at 425 yards without knowing what he could do with his rifle.

I wish I could hunt in fields and wooded areas where I only have to shoot a couple hundred yards. But I can't. Our hunting can sometimes turn into long range hunting. No option if you want that buck. Watching the video over and over, I feel JB and that girl had no other option but to shoot or not shoot. She had the confidence and proved what she could do. I guess more people on here would have liked her to have shot a 7RM so she could flinch and make a bad hit at 300 yards just so they could say she was shooting too much gun. I think that 243 was a good tool with little recoil so a person could make that long shot and not worry about kick or flinch just making the shot.

Again most people on here just can't be happy for her.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks like Corey is gone..... frown

Must be scope shopping..

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
corey006 comment....
I am pretty sure the CDS system works much like the Custom GreyBull Precision Leupold optic seen here...

YouTube - GreyBull Precision Long Range Hunting"

corey006, it's obvious that you were shopping long range scopes after watching John Burns kill things at distance.

Funny!!

Then corey sees a girl killing an elk at distance and he can't stand the idea of it because he can't do it. So now he has to rip it to make up for his own male deficiency's.

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Well that is a tough question. Normally I don�t like pigeon holing myself into a response on an open forum.

I also don�t feel like I am so one dimensional that I have to choose between lazy and inept. Why can�t I be both?? blush

I do get your point that on some days the lazy might be more prevalent but then again I can be really inept even while I am lazy and I sure have been known to be lazy on those days when my ineptitude is simply off the chart.

Hope this help clear things up for you fella. laugh laugh

This is the best post of the thread. cool

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35
corey006] comment....

YouTube - GreyBull Precision Long Range Hunting"

corey006, it's obvious that you were shopping long range scopes after watching John Burns kill things at distance.

Funny!!

Then corey sees a girl killing an elk at distance and he can't stand the idea of it because he can't do it. So now he has to rip it to make up for his own male deficiency's.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,

How close to an animal have you loosed a VLD?

They obviously perform great at extended range, how about <100 yards?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 40O
Magnum Man,
as I see it the only difference between big stick and you is the side of the argument he was on. Both of you avoid addressing a posters position to win/try to win style points.

The shooter made a good shot, sure. But isn't the purpose behind the video to demonstrate that anyone with jb's system and jb setting up the shot can do the same thing?

the post show that the shooter is a hunter, and may have been the one to scout the elk. The post fail to state whether she could get closer that 688 yards.

Well 1st things first, I haven't seen any posts by big stick on this thread maybe you are confused. No need to compare me to him as I have not the skills or ability at enlightened profanity to get my point across as he does.Don't drink koolaid or need style points I am, who I am. I don't doubt that JB's system is one of the best and that he is one of the best LR shooters out there. I have done some LR shooting with BPCR, well only to 1000 yds and enjoyed it very much. LR shooting with a reg smokeless CFR is new to me and thru the video and resulting thread I can see I need to do some and expand my experiences with my more modern rifles as just something else to learn and succeed at. Shot the leg off an antelope one time way out there for me and while I did not lose her she suffered more than I want to tolerate so I've kept most of my game shooting under 350 yds.That was then, now days the improvement in lazer range finding , scopes, good ballistic programs,and great bullets availible make me want to learn how to use them all and expand my abilities. Ethics to anything you do is your responsibility not someone elses.The BPCR LR shooting taught me right off the bat that you can make shots that you didn't imagine you could, if you learn and practice them. A long the way in life I also learned if I could read and follow instructions I was usually successful at what I was doing. It's no stretch of my imagination to think that gal can't take verbal instruction follow the directions and achieve success either.I don't know if she couldn't have got closer and it's a moot point now cause hindsight is allways 20/20. 400 you have a good day. Magnum Man

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I can't answer for John Burns, but I've killed a number of animals at less than 100 yards with VLD's, and have seen several other people do it. The bullets ranged from 115-grain .25's to 185-grain .30's, with several others in between, and the shortest range was 18 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks.

I was wondering if they would hold up at higher velocity, 2800+. Seems they can.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some of the argument in this thread is created through misunderstanding, because people don't seem to read carefully enough.

Let me try to be perfectly clear:
� I have no qualms whatsoever about JB's skills or about the capability of his rifles - or the .243, for that matter.
� I've read many of John's posts - to me he sounds like a good guy, someone I'd hang around with.
� I'm not suffering from a case of sour grapes or jealousy.
� I congratulate the lady for her accomplishment and John for his products and expertise. Hell, I'd love it if I had the opportunity to be mentored by JB.
� My concern is over JB's slip in judgement in having the lady shoot at a live animal w/o first giving her any long range practice at inanimate targets. Even though I have shot and hunted for 45 years, I have never shot an animal past 300 yards, and If JB were coaching me, I would certainly want to practice first on targets at long range before tackling an elk. Also, I've taken a few newbies hunting with me over the years, but I have never done so without first taking them to the range to give them some practice and guidance. To me, this is just common sense, and I'll bet that JB usually follows that progression.
� I suspect that John's motivation in having the lady do this and subsequently posting it on the Campfire was governed more by a desire for self-promotion rather than sharing his pride in his neighbor's accomplishment ... but only JB would be able to know that with certainty.

While I was rock chuck hunting the farmer's kid rode up on his motorcycle. He asked what we were shooting at. We were on a quarter section. That is a mile long and a quarter mile wide. We were parked on the road on one side and shooting at the 'chucks beyond the road on the other side of the field more than 400 yards away. The kid wanted to shoot one.

A few minutes later one came out on a rock for sunning. I dialed the scope for the shot and got the kid into position. I had him dry fire one shot to check the trigger. He fired. The chuck flopped over. First long shot for a fourteen year old and it was a hit on a small target about half the size of a house cat.

Congrats to the girl and John for his ability to dial and dope.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice shooting there. That vapor trail was cool as heck. Congrats to the young lady!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm not John or JB, but I've some experience with the vld at short range. Shot two antelope and an oryx in the past two months with 6.5 140 vld this year (3175 fps at the muzzle). Both antelope were under 100 yards and the oryx at 140 yards.

One of the antelope and the oryx performed perfectly. The other antelope was shot high in the shoulder, shooting slightly uphill. Ending up making a mess of him. I suspect that I hit the spine, which caused the mess. Made a quick follow up shot to put him kill him. He wasn't going anywhere, but I wasn't going to wait on him to bleed out.

[Linked Image]

Here is the other antelope. Shot right at 100 yards and he was DRT. Everything was liquid on the inside.

[Linked Image]

The bullet performed perfectly on the oryx. Shot him broadside at 140 and again on the run at about 225. The first shot would have killed him, but he was running the wrong direction from the truck and I was trying to shorten the pack out. Oryx are pretty tough animals and I was very happy how the bullet performed on him. Everything was mush.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jlboykin; 12/10/11.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't imagine anyone calling a hunter lazy for shooting a critter at any range. It's been my experience that a good chunk of the work starts when the critter drops.

Particularly as the animal gets larger in size.

I've never hunted elk/moose but the idea of cleaning, quartering and getting the meat back to camp - doesn't strike me as lazy man's work.

Me

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Seems the bullet went right through the elk. I see a puff of something behind the elk before it hits the ground.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jlboykin,

Yeah, VLD's can make a mess if they hit big bone, especially on smaller animals. The last animal I shot with the 140 6.5 was also a pronghorn at just over 160 yards, and I made sure to hit ribs behind the shoulder! Didn't lose more than a bite of meat.

Nice gembuck! They sure taste great too.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The greatest hunters are the ones that take game the closet....with primitive weapons

Where does anyone on this thread claim to be a great hunter, buch less the greatest hunter.

And what primitive weapons do you use to hunt with to the exclusion of modern hunting tools?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can sorta relate to the idea that men don't want to do like the "coach" tells them when they think they know something better.

On opening day of elk season my pick up got stuck in the snow. It started to slide off the road as I was tying to get it out. I stopped and walked out about three and a half miles to meet the tow truck. After he had it hooked up he gave instructions for me to get in and start it. Then he told me to put it in drive but not to touch the throttle.

I kept wanting to touch the throttle a little when it was pointing the correct direction but overcame the urge. When it was out I told him about the desire to touch the throttle and asked if he ever had folks who did. He said occationally he unhooks them and leaves because they just can't cooperate.

Maybe the male hunters can't control the urge to do their own thing.

Everyday Hunter
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,078
Posts18,482,781
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.