Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ngrumba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone ever take a 35 Whelen to Africa? How do you think it would work on Zimbabwe Plains Game? ~Jeff

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have seen several guys use the 35 whelen and the 338/06 in Africa on plains game. I have also guided quite a few guys on Brown bear hunts with the Whelen. It is an outstanding rifle which will work on plains game in any country not just Zim's animals. The real concern is making certain you have your own ammo. You will never find a 35 whelen shell in Africa. You must also have the brass head stamped to match the rifle in Zimbabwe. Wildcatters can often be a problem. This is not always the case, it really depends on who checks you through customs and immagration there. Most of the time you will be wisked right through. However if there is a question and you have your ammo siezed what do you do then?
<br>
<br>In South Africa it is not a problem to hunt with wildcats or handguns( for now) but Zimbabwe is so screwed up I would personally not take a really expensive rifle, or one not properly marked to match the ammo to the gun. Zim is in a real bit of turmoil now. I am leaning towards my hunters staying in South Africa, Mozambique, or Zambia. I don't care to have any business in Zim until Mugabe is gone or the country settles down a bit. We have large consessions there which are not getting hunted much right now. There has been to many cancelled hunts and it's expensive to set up the whole camp for a few hunts.
<br>
<br>Personally ( and I work there) I would stay out of Zim for the near future. It's no fun going on the hunt of a life time when your worried about a government that is letting things go to hell while your there!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JJH,
<br>I think you are perhaps being a little negative on Zim,
<br>but I can understand your thoughts.. Hunting on the commercial ranches around Hararre is certainly out of the question.. But I think the Communal lands have not been a problem..
<br>
<br>I would think 35 Whelan would be find for any of the plains game, and even Leopard.. but too light for any other
<br>DG like Buffalo, Lion, Elephant..

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 35 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,125
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.