Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
timat46 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Looking for books or articles specifically about elk on the wetside of Washington or Oregon.I've got allot of books about elk but most just give a passing mention of Roosevelts
Tim

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
look up Scott Haugen.

he is an Oregon based hunter who specializes in the Columbia Blacktail, but has numerous Roosevelt elk to his credit as well.

im sure he has books for sale on his website.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
If you find one let us know. Does Scott hunt any public ground all I see him hunting is private ranches in SO?

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
T
timat46 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I googled Scott,no books specifically about coastal elk.didn't see any verticals listed.
Part of my confusion is trying to figure out how they behave in different situations,such as ;
-during the rifle season would it be best to look for them down along river bottoms or up high ?
-since they have everything they need such as food,cover and water where ever they are always how do you come up with an effective strategy ?
Tim

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
They really like recently logged clearcuts, if pressured they will usually go down into the deep dark. They do not have unlimited supply of food, top many trees can shade out the grass. If the area as few clearcuts,look for meadows swamps etc. Ambushing them between food and cover can work, they are very difficult to hunt. There is usually lots of pressure that keeps them in the timber.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ehunter
If you find one let us know. Does Scott hunt any public ground all I see him hunting is private ranches in SO?

he did a hunt in Ashland with his dad, but that is the only one i know of that he did on private land.

he writes for Oregon Hunter magazine and does a lot of public land hunting on the coast for elk.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Larry D. Jones is a staff writter for Bowhunter Magazine who lives in Eugene Oregon (near JeffO). He has some older Roosevelts bowhunting videos I rented from the local archery shop years ago. Might be sorta what your looking for.

Larry D. Jones videos LINK

I've killed far more than the average number of Roosevelts Elk in the last 25 years with bow and rifle. If you have some Q's I may be able to help.

I know there are a other guys on here as well that have had success.

Last edited by Rogue; 12/11/11.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mike, i wanna go hunting with you... lets go kill something.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds good Marty,

Lets do some spring bear maybe turkey. If you're crazy enough to find another addiction I'll take you spring salmon fishing.

Last edited by Rogue; 12/11/11.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tim,

The Cascade Rifle/Bow success rate runs around 7%.

The Cascade Muzzle loader season is a late season hair tag with a higher success rate that you can draw every 3 years or so. Though I think most elk taken with muzzle loader are probably cows.

If you want a mature bull with a rifle on public/timber ground the 3pt or better draw hunts are your best bet. Be in good shape and learn to breath under water. I killed my biggest bodied elk and my largest Roosevelt bull with one of thoughs tags.

I like hunting in the Cascades more but hunting pressure is high and results very low. Beautiful time of the year (mid October). If you want a Cascade Roosevelts bowhunting is my choice. Rifle hunting I put in for Eastern Oregon Rocky Mtn or the Coast Range 3pt or better hunts.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rogue
Sounds good Marty,

Lets do some spring bear maybe turkey. If you're crazy enough to find another addiction I'll take you spring salmon fishing.

i love fishing, so salmon would be good. im only interested in big black bears, or color phase bears. i got one a while back and it was pain in the butt. i wouldnt know what to do with a big ol bear. or all that meat. it costs too much to have it processed into sausage and salami.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boned out on the ground and only the meat is dropped off for sausage so it really keeps the cost down. I'm much more into bear hunting than bear getting myself. I just love hunting and spring bear gets you into the high country.

We'll go out even if we're only looking around and doing some plinking. Spring in the High Cascades is a good time.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
In the area we hunt Saddle Mountain the bulls move into the reprod and I mean move into it. Even during archery season we have seen big bulls that would not leave the reprod until dark. I think they follow the herds until dark then come out to breed. But to answer you question I don't think there is a definate data it will depend on the pressure and the geography of the area they are in. Elk do like clearcuts its a great food source and you will find some smaller bulls in there with the cows but those 4 to 6 year old bulls like the crap in the reprod the thickest stuff you can find and you will need a head lamp to go in there. That is why there are always some exceptional bulls killed every year in the coast range they have enough cover to hide until they make a fatal mistake. I have no experience with elk in SO all most all the elk hunting I do is in the coast range is on Private Timber company ground because they have more closed road areas. It will very in the area your hunting. I remember the Larry Jones video took years to make. A well know writter and tv hunter commented that coastal elk are the hardest elk in the world to hunt because of the jungle. At least the big bulls. Another famous writter and bowhunter took at least 3 gudied trips to get a small bull. he has killed a lot of trophy animals.

Originally Posted by timat46
I googled Scott,no books specifically about coastal elk.didn't see any verticals listed.
Part of my confusion is trying to figure out how they behave in different situations,such as ;
-during the rifle season would it be best to look for them down along river bottoms or up high ?
-since they have everything they need such as food,cover and water where ever they are always how do you come up with an effective strategy ?
Tim

Last edited by ehunter; 12/12/11.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
T
timat46 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for all the responses ,I wish I were hunting along the Oregon coast I think my odds would improve.I'm actually looking at an area on the Olympic penn.just east of lake Wynoocchee

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Good food is tough for them to find, as there is little of nutritional value beneath a dense northwest forest canopy. Recent burns and clear cuts are primo. They are larger bodied than the Rocky Mt elk, but due to poor forage quality, they typically calve every other year.

They often have home ranges encompassing only 2 or 3 square miles, but in dense forest that is plenty of room to hide and move around in.

The "Elk of North America" is probably the best source around.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/12/11.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ehunter
Elk do like clearcuts its a great food source and you will find some smaller bulls in there with the cows but those 4 to 6 year old bulls like the crap in the reprod the thickest stuff you can find and you will need a head lamp to go in there. That is why there are always some exceptional bulls killed every year in the coast range they have enough cover to hide until they make a fatal mistake. ... A well know writter and tv hunter commented that coastal elk are the hardest elk in the world to hunt because of the jungle.

sounds a lot like their smaller brethren, the Blacktail buck. If you've hunted them, you know how hard they are to get. Sneaky, nocturnal little bastids that inhabit the thickest, darkest, wettest crap imaginable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
look up Scott Haugen.

he is an Oregon based hunter who specializes in the Columbia Blacktail, but has numerous Roosevelt elk to his credit as well.

im sure he has books for sale on his website.

I read his book. Every other deer he sees is a 150 class buck. I need to hunt where he does.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
timat46,

How long has Lake Wynoocchee been there? I used to canoe that river more than forty-five years ago.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
timat46 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I'm not sure how long the lake has been there,I've been in the area 15 years and its been around that long
Tim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have hunted the Tioga, Siuslaw and Powers. They are tough units for sure. I liked the Powers unit for bears but the elk hunting was darn near impossible. What I started doing was hunting gated roads on my Mtn Bike. It is a lot of work but I did find elk. I did not kill elk but I found them. I was hunting with a bow and was calling. They did not respond to my calling efforts at all except at night. I think if you put a big Rosie on the ground you have done a lot more than your average elk hunter.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (6mmbrfan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,962
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.