Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Any body else have this problem? My chargemaster electronic powder dispenser continually throws charges .5-.7 grains over target amounts. Anybody else have this problem and what did you do to deal with it? I hate having to scoop .5 grains out of the charge or targeting a lower charge to try and compensate.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Haven't had that bad a problem, but when mine was throwing charges a little heavy now and then, I saw that it wasn't leveled properly. Otherwise mine is extremely accurate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the older powdermaster and it would �run over,� generally by .1 grain.
I found a longer warm up cycle for the scale helped quite a bit. I now warm the scale at least 45 minutes prior to calibrating and dispensing charges.
I also found the scale and charge master adjust to powder density when multiple charges have been thrown. This is to say after a few charges have been dispensed the unit becomes more accustomed to the powder density and the unit stops on the desired setting.
I had the most trouble with large flake powders such as IMR 800X. The charges of 800X are small and the flakes are large. The powder master wants to start fast and immediately slows and the memory in the unit requires several charges to adjust.
I don�t know how long your warm up period is but I would try a longer warm up and dispense several trial charges to see if the unit adapts its memory to the density of the powder.

Last edited by william_iorg; 12/10/11.

Slim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can cut a small piece of drinking straw and insert into the end of the tube and it will greatly reduce overruns

[Linked Image]

Also you can set your dispense amount a little below your target and tap the end to dislodge a few granules more to hit it dead on

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Since I put the straw in I set the dispense to the exact amount I want and on the 4 or 5 overruns out of 50 loads, I will just dip a few granules out. But I reload a lot of RL powders which are short grain

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't have issues beyond the first charge dumped - it pretty much always overruns the first one, then it's fine after that. The few that go 0.1gr over after that are just the nature of stick powders - have the same issue when trickling by hand.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by william_iorg
I have the older powdermaster and it would “run over,” generally by .1 grain.
I found a longer warm up cycle for the scale helped quite a bit. I now warm the scale at least 45 minutes prior to calibrating and dispensing charges.
I also found the scale and charge master adjust to powder density when multiple charges have been thrown. This is to say after a few charges have been dispensed the unit becomes more accustomed to the powder density and the unit stops on the desired setting.
I had the most trouble with large flake powders such as IMR 800X. The charges of 800X are small and the flakes are large. The powder master wants to start fast and immediately slows and the memory in the unit requires several charges to adjust.
I don’t know how long your warm up period is but I would try a longer warm up and dispense several trial charges to see if the unit adapts its memory to the density of the powder.

+1 RCBS units were/are made by Pact. My older Pact unit instructions specifically instruct you to warm them up, make sure the table/bench you are using the unit on is level and stable and to also make sure you don't have a fan or heater blowing air around the unit during use. I generally set my unit it up to throw charges a few tenths of a grain below the desired weight and use the trickle button to manually trickle up to my charge weight. Just like we did with regular balance beam scales before the advent of electronic models. You might consider using a balance beam scale to make sure that your calibration process is correct and that the thrown weights from your electronic unit is consistent with the balance beam model. Electronic units use a strain gauge to send the information to the units electronics. Once you have checked you units accuracy against a balance beam unit and the unit is still throwing charges above your desired weight I would call the tech support folks at RCBS and explain whats going on. Most likely they will ask you to send it back for inspection and make the necessary repairs or adjustments. Their product service is exemplary in my experience.
Hope this helps,
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Any body else have this problem? My chargemaster electronic powder dispenser continually throws charges .5-.7 grains over target amounts. Anybody else have this problem and what did you do to deal with it? I hate having to scoop .5 grains out of the charge or targeting a lower charge to try and compensate.

Box it up and include a check for 45 bucks and send it back to RCBS, thats what I did when mine got squirrelly.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No longer made by PACT.

I haven't used a Chargemaster, but my Hornady AutoCharge allows me to set the "lead point" where it switches from fast dispense to trickle. In my tests, some spherical and large-kernel extruded powders needed a longer trickle time to avoid dropping too much too fast. Picking a longer lead point prevents "overs."

I agree: call them and ask for assistance.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't have the chargemaster but on my lyman it seems certain powders lend themselves to .1-.2 over-runs. What I do is set the dispenser to drop a charge that is .1 less than I want. If it over-runs, I'm good to go; if it shops .1 or .2 short, I just tap the powder "snout" lightly with a pencil and a few more grains will drop out bringing the weight up to the desired.

Aim for the exit hole.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I've got the rcbs chargemaster. It overruns depending on the powder I use. Some are much worse than others. Imr 3031, for instance, is pretty bad.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by woods
You can cut a small piece of drinking straw and insert into the end of the tube and it will greatly reduce overruns

[Linked Image]

Also you can set your dispense amount a little below your target and tap the end to dislodge a few granules more to hit it dead on

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Since I put the straw in I set the dispense to the exact amount I want and on the 4 or 5 overruns out of 50 loads, I will just dip a few granules out. But I reload a lot of RL powders which are short grain

Great tip on the soda straw. I will try that as well as the letting it warm up for a while be for running. Thanks to all for the helpful tips

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I do not have an RCBS, but I do have the Lyman. These are very sensitive devices and certain outside forces can through them off. Things like cell phones, Air conditioners-fans-heat ducts, open drafty door ways, pounding and shacking of the loading bench via the press, Laptops and wireless Internet, loud music and even florescent lights.

I keep mine on a separate bench away from the press, keep the radio very low, turn the AC unit way down or off and keep the door closed. When I'm working with my Lyman and someone opens the door to pester me, the unit immediately beeps and tells me to re-calibrate.

If you don't have any of these types of things going on in your loading area/room, then I would call RCBS and see what they have to say.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The Mcdonalds straw approach minimizes the clumping that the factory threaded tube allows to happen. Without the straw, the unit will drop too many grains of powder when it is in trickle mode and cause overthrows. Also, have you adjusted the settings......If you do a google search on "chargemaster settings" you will find numerous pieces of information. I have mine fine tuned to maximize speed and I only see a couple of overthrows per 50 loads. The Chargemaster is the single biggest improvement I've found in reloading.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chap
The Mcdonalds straw approach minimizes the clumping that the factory threaded tube allows to happen. Without the straw, the unit will drop too many grains of powder when it is in trickle mode and cause overthrows. Also, have you adjusted the settings......If you do a google search on "chargemaster settings" you will find numerous pieces of information. I have mine fine tuned to maximize speed and I only see a couple of overthrows per 50 loads. The Chargemaster is the single biggest improvement I've found in reloading.

YES I cannot imagine using the old beam scale for all of my rifle reloading. No comparison in my opinion.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Bought a slightly used Chargemaster on the classifieds here that already had the straw modification done. Still overdumps occasionally, just pinch out a little powder, trickle back into pan until correct weight shows then put the rest in the powder trickler. Not a major ordeal and still quick as hell.

Last edited by ddurst; 12/12/11.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I do alot of test rounds and not reloading of big numbers of the same recipe so usually dip my charges onto my new Hornady unit. But the other day I ran some 7828 for some weatherby reloadings and was so peed off by the time I was done. It was constantly overcharging and by alot more than .1 grain. Got to get used to it but once it goes over it doesn't let you dip back out....it just sits there flashing an overload warning.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kraky111
once it goes over it doesn't let you dip back out....it just sits there flashing an overload warning.

That would tick me off too! mad

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I never load more than about 20 rifle cartidges at a time, usually only three or six. For me, even dumping powder into a trickler, "priming" it, and then emptying it when done is way more trouble than it's worth. I have always felt that for someone like me, the automatic dispenser/scale units represent a lot of money that could be better spent on something else. The "finickiness" that I am reading about has definitely cemented that belief. (Not meant to disparage anyone who loads in volume from using one, but meant to help someone just starting out to not spend money that they don't need to spend if their loading will be similar to mine.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'll load and shoot a hundred rounds in a weekend, and often not a single one has a weighed charge.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
kraky, when you get an OVER with the Hornady unit, just pinch a bit of powder out of the pan and hit "ENTER". It should go right back to automatic mode and trickle.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,662
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.