Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Throwing this out for thought and discussion.

As a long time rifle looney and reloader, I've owned several .270's, but found them boring, although efficient. I traded them all, except for an old custom Springfield with McGowen barrel I put together as a teenager.

Now to the point. From the recent discussions on the .243 and 7mm Rem Mag having pressure swings causing the SAAMI max pressure limits on those two to be down from 65K, the .270 cranks along at 65K without issue. And of all the P. O. Ackley improved rounds, where is the .270AI? You see a lot of .280AI's, a great round. Reportedly, the .270 was the least improved round P. O. worked with, thus no reason for the AI version.

So, being nearly perfect regarding the absence of high end pressure aberrations and being good enough to not benefit that much from P. O.'s best efforts, does that make the old .270 a near perfect round ballistically, just as Winchester rolled it out, so many years ago?

DF

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not sure. I shoot a .270 along with lots of others and it'll kill whitetail and hogs but so will the rest.

If I recall correctly, PO Ackley said the 257AI was the perfect round as far as the ratio of powder capacity to bore diameter was concerned.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Absolutely love my 270 but my vote goes to the 260 Win. I am sure that will end this debate whistle

Last edited by kenjs1; 12/11/11.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Perfect" is a personal thing when it comes to cartridges. But for me the 270 and 308 are as close to the mythical "perfect" as is possible with a brass cylinder and powder.

Both kick a little and kill a lot...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm going to the range now.....a 270 is in the truck.

I will have to think really hard on this..... crazy cool

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, but I've let my '88 Mountain Rifle lay fallow since an '02 antelope hunt as I farted around with other calibers. Just bought an M8 6x42 off here and plopped it on her with the Talley lows. Just need to get my butt to the range.

Perfect hunting round in perfect rifle with perfect scope and mounts. The urge to purge the safe is looming. Need to look at some gun mags this weekend. grin

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dunno. I'm not a .270 fan. I have three of them, but the only one sacred in a Remington 725 that was my grandfather's. The other two (both Remington ADL synthetics, one SS, one CroMo) are destined for better things, with 6.5, .284, or .338 tubes. I do know that .270s are a bunch cheaper than '06s around home for potential donors (that's why I bought two of them).

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
"Perfect" is a personal thing when it comes to cartridges. But for me the 270 and 308 are as close to the mythical "perfect" as is possible with a brass cylinder and powder.

Both kick a little and kill a lot...

You know the 7mm is right between the two so maybe it is "perfect" grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

As a long time rifle looney and reloader, I've owned several .270's, but found them boring, although efficient. I traded them all, except for an old custom Springfield with McGowen barrel I put together as a teenager.

Now to the point. From the recent discussions on the .243 and 7mm Rem Mag having pressure swings causing the SAAMI max pressure limits on those two to be down from 65K, the .270 cranks along at 65K without issue. And of all the P. O. Ackley improved rounds, where is the .270AI? You see a lot of .280AI's, a great round. Reportedly, the .270 was the least improved round P. O. worked with, thus no reason for the AI version.

So, being nearly perfect regarding the absence of high end pressure aberrations and being good enough to not benefit that much from P. O.'s best efforts, does that make the old .270 a near perfect round ballistically, just as Winchester rolled it out, so many years ago?

DF

It's just about perfect when you neck it up to .308 whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
�Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.�

O.W.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

There've been some .270AIs done recently by a fellow here, colmacivor, with modern powders that basically destroy the old "worst improved" AI round. When you figure that much of the "improvement" for the .280/.280AI is because the .280 wasn't loaded to NEARLY it's capabilities from the factory, well, you get a bit of a head-start.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I can't explain why, but I got more DRT kills with a Tang Safety Ruger 77 in .270 when I was a kid than I have with any rifle since, including a .257 Wby. What's worse is I don't even currently own a .270. But, when it came time to put one together for my son, .270 it was. He absolutely loves it, mostly because he absolutely knocks the snot out of stuff with it. Flat shooting, hard hitting without much recoil and plenty of factory ammo available. What's not to like?

I guess the main reason I haven't attempted an ultimate build in .270 is I just like short actions... Maybe a .277 SUAM... Hmmm... Now see what you've done?! grin

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I can't explain why, but I got more DRT kills with a Tang Safety Ruger 77 in .270 when I was a kid than I have with any rifle since, including a .257 Wby.

....But, when it came time to put one together for my son, .270 it was. He absolutely loves it, mostly because he absolutely knocks the snot out of stuff with it. Flat shooting, hard hitting without much recoil and plenty of factory ammo available.

John

People eventually wake up to this stuff after they have wallowed around awhile looking for something "better".

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I can't explain why, but I got more DRT kills with a Tang Safety Ruger 77 in .270 when I was a kid than I have with any rifle since, including a .257 Wby. What's worse is I don't even currently own a .270. But, when it came time to put one together for my son, .270 it was. He absolutely loves it, mostly because he absolutely knocks the snot out of stuff with it. Flat shooting, hard hitting without much recoil and plenty of factory ammo available. What's not to like?

I guess the main reason I haven't attempted an ultimate build in .270 is I just like short actions... Maybe a .277 SUAM... Hmmm... Now see what you've done?! grin

John

John,

My hunting buddy has a safe full of nice rifles, but his "go to" rifle and the one he almost exclusively uses is a .270 Sendero. That gun is very accurate and he can really shoot it. Like the old saying, beware the man with one gun, he can probably shoot it.

I shoot about everything but a .270. When we go antelope hunting, I'm using my custom 6.5-284 with turret, he is using his Sendero with Conquest 3.5-10x44. I dial mine in and make the shot. I glass and range for him, giving him inches of holdover. He drops one in, right where it needs to go. Two equally dead speed goats. Watching him shoot that .270, using factory ammo with 130 gr. NPTs, started me thinking about the merits of the .270. To me, the .270 is boringly efficient. But it is what it is, a masterpiece of a round. Maybe JO'C was onto something.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I can't explain why, but I got more DRT kills with a Tang Safety Ruger 77 in .270 when I was a kid than I have with any rifle since, including a .257 Wby.

....But, when it came time to put one together for my son, .270 it was. He absolutely loves it, mostly because he absolutely knocks the snot out of stuff with it. Flat shooting, hard hitting without much recoil and plenty of factory ammo available.

John

People eventually wake up to this stuff after they have wallowed around awhile looking for something "better".

Bob,

There is truth to your statement.

I'm considering taking my old Springfield custom .270 with med. wt. McGowen SS barrel off the wall and giving it a whirl.

Now, I'm not abondoning the other rifles in my safe, just thought I'd give this old gun some deserved attention. As I recall, it's pretty accurate.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
�Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.�

O.W.

Becoming quite the word smith Steelhead. Oh and Merry Christmas to you and your new home!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At the heart of every watermelon lies a .270 wink

Its just a killn' sob�.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Some of you are funny. The .270 is boring, because it works so good? You'd rather have a caliber that can't hit the side of a barn?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well my last 270 was a Winchester M70 Super Grade, one of the new claw extractor actions. Bought it in 1995 once I got it all squared away. it Shot great with 130 gr bullets. Killed a lot of game with it. the one issue I had with it was that the rifle weighted in at dam near 10 lbs hunt ready. I sold it when I paired down my collection. I shoot a 7mm RM these days with 150 gr bullets in a 8 lb rifle the recoil is not even noticeable. Shoot about as flat as a 130 gr 270 load. Just a little more bullet not enough to make much of a difference under most circumstances. Then If I really want another 270 all I need to do is buy an barrel some mounts and a scope for my blaser and I am good to go. No real need.

Last edited by gmsemel; 12/11/11.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'm going to the range now.....a 270 is in the truck.

I will have to think really hard on this..... crazy cool

I wonder how this will turn out whistle

Keep us posted to your decision Bob laugh

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 26 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,265
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.