Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Hey guys just wondering what people are thinking as to the most versatile round in the ar platform for deer-pig /pest/fun. I figured the list looks like this for what I want to do. 7.62x39, 6.8spcI /II ?, 6.5 Grendel. I am leaning toward the 7.62 x 39. good deer-pig killing power at 0-200 yards, cheap ammo for fun. I would love to run the 30 remington ar , 300 blackout or the 7.62x45 wt. But for my first ar rifle I need to go with the 7.62 and get another upper in 5.56/223 for fun use. Also i see that the 5.56 is listed and 223 listed by some manufactures. Is there a difference in the two. I am thinking one is the military spec loading? can one fire the other or is that something i need to look at when buy an upper for this round? If i got a 5.56 upper can i shoot factory 223 rem. rounds in it? thanks in advance. I am sure all these questions have been answer before. bare with me I am new to this type of platform.

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
As mentioned frequently, the .223 and 5.56 are dimensionally the same cartridge. The 5.56 NATO round has a higher max pressure spec than the civvie .223 does. This means that you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber, but the opposite is not advised.

The caliber debates also occur pretty frequently. For old Bambi and Porky, there are a number of .223 factory loads like the 60 Partition, various Barnes TSX loads, and others that will kill these types of animals. IMO the .223/5.56 is mostly a pest/fun cartridge but the versatility is huge with today's bullets and guns.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Mauser,

If the 223 is legal in your state give it a try with the correct bullets, I think you will be surprised...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
7.62x39 are not known for accuracy, although I'm sure someone has one that will shoot knots.

The 5.56 with any TSX, Nosler partition, or the 60gr. WW will work fine on deer. Some hunters have had good luck with the 77gr. OTM. Just choose your bullets well.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As stated above the 5.56 and 223 ammo share the same external dimensions, the chamber on the 5.56 has a longer throat, this allows for the use of a higher pressure round. You can shoot 223 in a 5.56, but many say it's not a good idea to shoot 5.56 in a 223.

If you have a lot of time you can read all 19 pages on the great 223, 7.62x39, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel debate here.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5835354/6_8_vs_7_62x39_vs#Post5835354

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
7.62x39 are not known for accuracy, although I'm sure someone has one that will shoot knots.

The 5.56 with any TSX, Nosler partition, or the 60gr. WW will work fine on deer. Some hunters have had good luck with the 77gr. OTM. Just choose your bullets well.

I don't know where you get the idea the 7.62x39 is not known for accuracy. Maybe from use of AKs and ball ammo, but I've had SKS that would scare you with ball ammo. Never had an AK that would.

But in the AR with a good barrel its an MOA round easy. And remember what parent case the PPC rounds come from...

Personally when it comes to deer I don't suggest the 77 SMK or any SMK though I've never had a failure with them, the first person that shoots a deer and is to incapable to go find it with one will be screaming.

TSX would be first choice, Partition second and then the 64 power points. There was a bonded bear claw or such loaded at one point but I don't think that exists any more.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495

There was a bonded bear claw or such loaded at one point but I don't think that exists any more.

Bearclaws are unavailable 'cause they are all going overseas.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I don't know where you get the idea the 7.62x39 is not known for accuracy. Maybe from use of AKs and ball ammo, but I've had SKS that would scare you with ball ammo. Never had an AK that would.

But in the AR with a good barrel its an MOA round easy. And remember what parent case the PPC rounds come from...

I knew someone would have an AR that shot knots. Actually, we're in agreement - it's not so much a cartridge issue as it is an ammunition and platform issue. Almost any chambering in a good platform can shoot good ammunition well.

It's just that there are much better choices to hunt deer. AK's and imported ammo have given the 7.62x39 a bad name.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Federal has two Law Enforcement loads using the 55 gr TBBC (LE223T1) and 62 gr TBBC (LE223T3). Both loads are suppose to be sold to Law Enforcement only but its not true.

If you Google these loads you will find them online available to anyone.

Anyway, the 55 gr load is the LEO version of the old Federal Premium load. The 62 gr load has never been loaded for the Non-LEO market but like I said its available.

If your rifle has a 1-12" twist use the 55 gr load, if its a 1-9" twist or faster use the 62 gr load. Both loads are tops in their weight class.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
get a chamber marked 5.56 and a 1-7 twist, you can buy barnes loaded or sierra loaded bullets from SSA. If you want the 7.62x39 then why not, AR Performance makes one. Not much difference in these small rounds anyway except you can get away with cheaper bullets when you have more mass, but my impression is that velocity gets stuffs attention better.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I knew someone would have an AR that shot knots. Actually, we're in agreement - it's not so much a cartridge issue as it is an ammunition and platform issue. Almost any chambering in a good platform can shoot good ammunition well.

It's just that there are much better choices to hunt deer. AK's and imported ammo have given the 7.62x39 a bad name.

I disagree tehr there are much better choices for deer. thats about a 30-30.. how many deer taken with that round over the years. No one argues that round. Its not like the 15 can take a 270 round either.

But yeah, the junkers are that...

Have a buddy that bought a x39 bolt gun so many years back I can't recall.... ain't never not done the job in good fashion....

Still won't buy the argument that the 6.8 kills better. Just ain't so.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Don't forget to add Ruger to your list. Ruger has taken the 7.62x39 down to a new low with their POS Mini-30's. Piss poor accuracy coupled with the fact that the Mini-30 cannot shoot Berdan primed ammo without breaking. What the hell is it good for? A 7.62x39 that will only shoot expensive American made Boxer primed ammo at $20 a box?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've shot several antelope with my .223. My niece shot a white tail buck at 150 yards with it too. She hit a head-on in the sternum with a 55g Combined Technology. That smashed three vertebrae and exited just ahead of the hind quarter. Seemed pretty similar to the performance of a .308 except with more shock. The deer dropped like a bucket of cement. I can shoot up to 75g bullets in my 9 twist and that is plenty for any deer in America given the great bullets we have. The only limitation is whether your state laws allow the use of a .223 for this game.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Might want to look at the 6x45 (6mm-223). Works well on whitetails

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just took an 8 point buck with my 16" RRA M4 with 223 Federal Premium loaded with 60 gr. Nosler Partition bullets. He piled up in 20 yards. Heart/lungs were totally destroyed.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mikey300
I've shot several antelope with my .223. My niece shot a white tail buck at 150 yards with it too. She hit a head-on in the sternum with a 55g Combined Technology. That smashed three vertebrae and exited just ahead of the hind quarter. Seemed pretty similar to the performance of a .308 except with more shock. The deer dropped like a bucket of cement. I can shoot up to 75g bullets in my 9 twist and that is plenty for any deer in America given the great bullets we have. The only limitation is whether your state laws allow the use of a .223 for this game.

I' ain't trying to be a smart azz, but a 308 has more energy hands down. I"ve more than most have in both rounds over the years since we competed with both rounds.
The reason you get a bang flop from the 223 is what you noted, the .... vertabrae were hit....
I shot a very similar shot a few years back with a tsx, buck ran hard and fast at the shot, of course only about 50 yards...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't shoot a 223 in an AR but in a bolt gun. I took a rather large hog this weekend, hunting partner and I guessed around 200lbs by the grunts and grown trying to get in the back of the truck smile . 65gr SGK broke the nearest sholder with a pass through at about 80yrds. Piled up in less then 15 yrds from impact.

I had 62gr TSX loaded in the mag all season. I thought I would change my luck and put the Sierras in instead, it worked. My first hog.

Don't disregard the 223 is all i'm saying.

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I strongly suspect you could get 55 gr. PSP Remingtons, shoot a deer through the heart, lungs or high shoulder and it would die pretty quickly.

Heard tell of a fellow who drops them with white box 45 gr. JHPs; aims carefully.

But I want a suppressed Blackout anyways...

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would suggest a 308 winchester from LMT or similar company. 18 or 20" barrel for deer and hogs. They are pricey so expect close to a 1000.00 or more for the rifle but it will be more than capable and in a semi auto platform.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A friend has an AR upper in 243 WSM for deer. The magazine is a single stack that fits a standard lower. He just got it this year, and I haven't talked to him since before deer season, so I don't know if he used it this year. This should work.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 3,865 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,642
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.