Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It is amazing to me how many of these types of threads keep appearing when it has been proven and proven again that it isn't so much as to what you hit them with and what it came out of,but where.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
HR IC

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Some of you are funny. The .270 is boring, because it works so good? You'd rather have a caliber that can't hit the side of a barn?

It's not that other calibers aren't accurate. My 6.5-284 is more accurate than my buddy's .270 Sendero, with a custom Krieger barrel and a lot of high end work on the action and stock. The Sendero is just a factory rifle, although it does have a Timney trigger. He just feeds it store bought ammo and kills lots of stuff. In the field, it'll hang with my custom 6.5-284 all day long.

.270 is boring because you buy one, feed it factory ammo and it performs like a champ. It doesn't require all the "fixing" we loonies love to bestow on our pet rifles. Watching this guy handle his .270 just got me to thinking.

DF

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Some of you are funny. The .270 is boring, because it works so good? You'd rather have a caliber that can't hit the side of a barn?

Calibers aren't the issue in accuracy as much as the rifle, and especially the nut behind the trigger.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have always had better luck with .30 caliber guns. If I shoot something and it does not die the way I think it should have you can almost bet the gun involved will be a 270 winchester (I seem to have good luck with the 270 WSM).

This year I shot a big muley doe at 71 yards with 270 win. When she left the field I could see large splashes of blood squirting from behind her shoulder. Let her lay for a hour or more and then started tracking her. I found the large splashes of blood for about 20 yards and then they quit. I was finding a drop of blood about the size of a pencil eraser every 25 yards or so. I had just said that we were not going to find her when I located her down the moutain. I bet the deer ending up running 130-150 (maybe farther) yards being shot right in the pocket behind the front shoulder. There really is no good explanation for the lack of blood. I have never seen a deer shot with a 30 caliber gun go near that far shot like that.

I think I just have bad luck with the 270 winny.

Dink

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'm going to the range now.....a 270 is in the truck.

Mine's been in the truck for over a month straight. Another 4 months to go!

IC B2

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The "best" cartridge for any larger game hunting situation for most folks will have a capacity of somewhere between the .308 thru the x57 case and on up to the 30-06 case. It will have a bore of between 6.5/.264 to 8.5/.338. It will throw bullets from about 120gr to 210gr at between 2600 and 3000fps. Recoil will be somewhere between 15 and 20 foot pounds in a 8 to 8.5lb dressed rifle. These are the confines of efficiency in hunting rifles. Just about nothing you can't do with a rifle within these simple parameters.

You want more range, choose a smaller calibre and higher BCs, and move towards the 30-06 case capcity - for me that is the 6.5x.284, but equally it could be the .270. This is typically the best balance for an all round deer gun.

For less range go up in calibre and maybe down in capacity, and allow the greater efficiency of the bore to generate some easy energy at the expense of long range performance - say 8x57 and .338 Federal.

The most "magnum" i go to now is the 9.3x62 and .338x280 AI, which are still deviate little from the 30-06 case size.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The .270 is a pretty amazing cartridge for sure. It was my favorite for prairie deer, antelope and coyote until I got a 25-06. Little by little I kept leaving the .270 at home because the 25-06 seemed to give me an edge for a particular situation. I think the low recoil and blazing speed is what won me over. It hits like a .270, feels like a .243 and gets there like a 22-250. What more could I ask since I am no where near pressures I have to monitor?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Reading DINK's post makes me think that Elmer has been reincarnated.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DINK
If I shoot something and it does not die the way I think it should have you can almost bet the gun involved will be a 270 winchester

That's truly laughable...............

Originally Posted by DINK

I think I just have bad luck with the 270 winny.

Laughin' a whole lot more................

MM

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"Perfection is the merger of consistency and time."

BW

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ive ran through a lot of headstamps and I am down to 2... the 270 and the 7-08. Edge going to the 270. Now that I got that right I am now looking for the perfect gun..LoL Have an 88 model 700 mt rifle in 270 thats pretty close.. will be really close when I figure out what kind of stock to go with. The 270 just works... with cheap wal mart ammo or your best handloads... Just like a computer.. point, click, and kill!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RinB
Reading DINK's post makes me think that Elmer has been reincarnated.

Too true.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have killed alot of stuff with the 30-06 and several different 300 magnums (win,RUM). For me the 270 does not kill stuff like a 30 caliber gun.

Don't get me wrong I have killed alot of stuff with the 270. It never fails though that if I shoot something, it runs off and then is hard to find it has always been with the 270 win. Or if I shoot something that I think should have been DRT and it runs off it will be with the 270 win.

I have nothing against the 270 and own three right now but the perfect hunting round it is not in my opinion.

I know the 270 has a cult like following because most people can shoot it fairly well. I will be the first to say that there is nothing wrong with it but it has never killed like a 30 caliber gun for me.

Dink

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don't let'um mess with you, Dink.

Yesterday, I talked to my police SWAT sniper buddy who is also my gunsmith. He just got back from a TX hunting trip with ice chests full. His comment, "thirty caliber just kills". He was shooting his .308 and as a trained sniper with years of experience, he's very comfortable with the .308. This guy builds rifles and shoots or has shot about everything out there.

So, you're not alone... wink

DF

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
To me, WHAT and WHERE you're hunting plays a BIG role as to what makes a "perfect" cartridge. Take Africa (or any "travelling" hunt), as an example. The .270 has done some work there but it would be far from perfect, AFAIC. I'd want something considerably bigger for any hunt that requires a deposit.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Let's think a bit about some of what's being said here.....we will increase bore diameter .031,increase case capacity by 20-30 grains,bring velocities to around the same as a 270 with bullets weighing 30+ grains more, and then compare killing effectiveness,and therefore the 270 "sucks" and leaves ironclad deer rambling through the countryside leaking blood all over the place......something ain't right... eek

Ananlyze this......."I gotta go up in bore size,bullet weight,case capacity,and velocity to beat a 270.." crazy Well, no shidt Dick Tracy!

I have read some really stupid shidt in my life but some of this stuff just takes the cake.

Do I think a 270 is as powerful as a 300 or 338 magnum? Of course not....

Do I think a 7 magnum shooting heavy 160 or 175 gr bullets is a step up from a 270? Yes,I do.

Do I think a 30/06 kills anything "better"? No...not until you get into the class of the very heaviest game (brown bear,Cape Buffalo,etc.)with 200-220 gr bullets,simply because the heavier bullets will penetrate better, and break heavy bones on such game better than a 270's lighter bullets.This is called common sense.

But do I think the 30/06 or 308 Winchester kills lesser game "better"? Nope.

A 7x57,7-08,280,284,264,etc etc.....any of them kill game "better"? Gimme a break....it isn't even worth discussing. Complete waste of time....

Second, no one mentions bullets .....

I think the reason some have problems with the 270 is that they use junk,thin jacketed,plastic tipped stuff under this "theory" of bullet blowup being the path to rapid kills with small bores.....well,maybe. I am still really conflicted on this notion,and think it has good application for very LR shooting....but under more conventional distances, I still like bullets of tougher construction.

Following that line of thinking, I have had no problems killing with any cartridge from a 257 Roberts through the 375H&H.If there was a "problem" (damn few)it was all placement....

I am mystified by the difficulty some folks have had killing animals with a 270 Winchester. I have had "zero" problems.I think the reason is that,almost from the start back in the 70's,I have fed 270's nothing but Partitions and Bitterroots.I have some recovered BBC's back here from 270's that killed game,that have broader frontal areas, and more retained weight,than 180 gr bullets fired into game from a 300 magnum....I don't give a flying rats ass about how good a bullet looks on a ballistic chart....I want to know results in an animal.I have noticed that if I use a bullet fully capable of reliably expanding,punching through a chest cavity and destroying vitals,and retaining enough weight to reliably break up bones on the offside,animals simply die.

All I know is I have never had these "mysterious" difficulties killing anything with a 270 at any distance or circumstance I have bumped into using these bullets.So I simply do not understand when a guy says a 270 sucks, but a 30/06 or 280 is hell on wheels.....I wonder if we hunt on the same planet for the same animals.

RinB on here has as much or more 270 experience in Africa(where I have not been yet)as anyone I know,except Johnny B.He won't talk about it but I will. He has killed over 200 head of African game from eland down with the 270 and 130 gr bullets;mostly Bitterroots, Barnes X, Swift S-co's and Aframes.He tells me of whacking a zebra with a 130 Aframe on the point of the shoulder quartering on with a 130 Aframe...the zebra collapsed in a heap,the bullet ranging back forward of the off side haunch,after breaking the shoulder.What's a zebra weigh? 500-700 pounds? Floored by a 270 and a great bullet? How do we reconcile this with notions of little does shrugging off hits from a 270?

He sends bullets over there for these African guys to test.....they say "Send more Barnes and Swift Aframes.....hold the Accubonds!" Mmmmm.

Another pal took his Dad and 12 year old son to Africa...all three spent 10 days knocking the snot out of kudu, gemsbuck,zebra,eland,and whatnot with 130 gr TTSX's from a 270 Winchester.

Reconcile this with half starved little deer running all over the place after a chest hit and it makes you wonder, what's the difference? Bullets .

I don't think the perfect hunting cartridge exists (unless it's the 375H&H cool because what is "perfect" will change with range, size of animal,impact velocity, bullet performance, etc.But the notion the 270 does not perform with anything else in its power class and powder capacity ....is silly.The notion that a 10 gr increase in bullet weight and increased diameter by .007 results in some "magic", is nonsense.Bullets,bullet construction, and placement are the key....not some silly notion about the headstamp being somehow inadequate.

As to paying a deposit, and taking a 270 on an important hunt beng out of the question? Gimme a break...what ridiculous nonsense.I have paid tens of thousands of my own money and put it on the line for important hunts and thrown a 270 on the plane. So have friends....and I would do it again tomorrow.

Here's the dirty little secret to killing game with a 270....use good bullets, and put them in the right place.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/12/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Let's think a bit about some of what's being said here.....we will increase bore diameter .031,increase case capacity by 20-30 grains,bring velocities to around the same as a 270 with bullets weighing 30+ grains more, and then compare killing effectiveness,and therefore the 270 "sucks" and leaves ironclad deer rambling through the countryside leaking blood all over the place......something ain't right... eek

Ananlyze this......."I gotta go up in bore size,bullet weight,case capacity,and velocity to beat a 270.." crazy Well, no shidt Dick Tracy!

I have read some really stupid shidt in my life but some of this stuff just takes the cake.

Do I think a 270 is as powerful as a 300 or 338 magnum? Of course not....

Do I think a 7 magnum shooting heavy 160 or 175 gr bullets is a step up from a 270? Yes,I do.

Do I think a 30/06 kills anything "better"? No...not until you get into the class of the very heaviest game (brown bear,Cape Buffalo,etc.)with 200-220 gr bullets,simply because the heavier bullets will penetrate better, and break heavy bones on such game better than a 270's lighter bullets.This is called common sense.

But do I think the 30/06 or 308 Winchester kills lesser game "better"? Nope.

A 7x57,7-08,280,284,264,etc etc.....any of them kill game "better"? Gimme a break....it isn't even worth discussing. Complete waste of time....

Second, no one mentions bullets .....

I think the reason some have problems with the 270 is that they use junk,thin jacketed,plastic tipped stuff under this "theory" of bullet blowup being the path to rapid kills with small bores.....well,maybe. I am still really conflicted on this notion,and think it has good application for very LR shooting....but under more conventional distances, I still like bullets of tougher construction.

Following that line of thinking, I have had no problems killing with any cartridge from a 257 Roberts through the 375H&H.If there was a "problem" (damn few)it was all placement....

I am mystified by the difficulty some folks have had killing animals with a 270 Winchester. I have had "zero" problems.I think the reason is that,almost from the start back in the 70's,I have fed 270's nothing but Partitions and Bitterroots.I have some recovered BBC's back here from 270's that killed game,that have broader frontal areas, and more retained weight,than 180 gr bullets fired into game from a 300 magnum....I don't give a flying rats ass about how good a bullet looks on a ballistic chart....I want to know results in an animal.I have noticed that if I use a bullet fully capable of reliably expanding,punching through a chest cavity and destroying vitals,and retaining enough weight to reliably break up bones on the offside,animals simply die.

All I know is I have never had these "mysterious" difficulties killing anything with a 270 at any distance or circumstance I have bumped into using these bullets.So I simply do not understand when a guy says a 270 sucks, but a 30/06 or 280 is hell on wheels.....I wonder if we hunt on the same planet for the same animals.

RinB on here has as much or more 270 experience in Africa(where I have not been yet)as anyone I know,except Johnny B.He won't talk about it but I will. He has killed over 200 head of African game from eland down with the 270 and 130 gr bullets;mostly Bitterroots, Barnes X, Swift S-co's and Aframes.He tells me of whacking a zebra with a 130 Aframe on the point of the shoulder quartering on with a 130 Aframe...the zebra collapsed in a heap,the bullet ranging back forward of the off side haunch,after breaking the shoulder.What's a zebra weigh? 500-700 pounds? Floored by a 270 and a great bullet? How do we reconcile this with notions of little does shrugging off hits from a 270?

He sends bullets over there for these African guys to test.....they say "Send more Barnes and Swift Aframes.....hold the Accubonds!" Mmmmm.

Another pal took his Dad and 12 year old son to Africa...all three spent 10 days knocking the snot out of kudu, gemsbuck,zebra,eland,and whatnot with 130 gr TTSX's from a 270 Winchester.

Reconcile this with half starved little deer running all over the place after a chest hit and it makes you wonder, what's the difference? Bullets .

I don't think the perfect hunting cartridge exists (unless it's the 375H&H cool because what is "perfect" will change with range, size of animal,impact velocity, bullet performance, etc.But the notion the 270 does not perform with anything else in its power class and powder capacity ....is silly.The notion that a 10 gr increase in bullet weight and increased diameter by .007 results in some "magic", is nonsense.Bullets,bullet construction, and placement are the key....not some silly notion about the headstamp being somehow inadequate.

As to paying a deposit, and taking a 270 on an important hunt beng out of the question? Gimme a break...what ridiculous nonsense.I have paid tens of thousands of my own money and put it on the line for important hunts and thrown a 270 on the plane. So have friends....and I would do it again tomorrow.

Here's the dirty little secret to killing game with a 270....use good bullets, and put them in the right place.

Execellent post and spot on!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, sometimes "common sense" has to be dragged kicking and screaming to the front of the line. The number and variety of cartridges we have is the product of marketing rather the real need in the field.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
In 1977 I was a senior in high school, and I lusted for a rifle. Being left handed there were not a lot of options. The Savage was, well kind of ugly (I own a few now and love them, esp. a .308 made in the year of my birth, 1959 in the original 110 short action)) and the Weatherby a little to rich for my blood. Winchester and Ruger did not offer left handed bolt guns and the 788 Remington was not the prettiest either,although probably the most accurate. The rifle I wanted was the Remington 700 in .270. And if I got my first report card of the year after Christmas that's the rifle that would have been under the tree. Unfortunately my learning disorder went unnoticed and my dad cancelled the gun. but it was the first rifle I bought after graduation and used it on Maine whitetails and Wyoming mule deer and antelope. It had the best Tasco 2-7 money could buy and it worked well. I still have it, with a Burris 2-7 on it now. With good bullets and reasonable velocity it works better now than ever, of course the same can be said for just about every cartridge out there. We need to remember every caliber, every rifle type is a compromise. In my opinion it is user friendly.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Mike,
Well, evidently you've lived a cloistered life and need to get updated and what your REALLY need! Another .270Win.. grin

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 11 invisible), 1,455 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.