Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5914073 12/13/11
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this but if you process your own venison/wild hog, etc. it pays to save the scraps you might not even keep for sausage to give to the dogs. I freeze them in small bags and then cook them up occasionally to mix with the regular dog food. Less waste, and the dogs love it. If the animal was shot with a cup and core bullet I don't save much around the bullets path because of the remote chance there might be some tiny lead fragments.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
we just give our dogs Ice cubes as treats, they think they are getting something special and it doesn't put any weight on the fat one

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
we just give our dogs Ice cubes as treats, they think they are getting something special and it doesn't put any weight on the fat one

We do that in the summer.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Thats funny,my Lab goes apeshit over ice cubes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Meathunter44
I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this but if you process your own venison/wild hog, etc. it pays to save the scraps you might not even keep for sausage to give to the dogs. I freeze them in small bags and then cook them up occasionally to mix with the regular dog food. Less waste, and the dogs love it. If the animal was shot with a cup and core bullet I don't save much around the bullets path because of the remote chance there might be some tiny lead fragments.

i take it your dogs are outside dogs cause i guarantee you will not give your dog deer meat if your stuck in a closed in space with them more than once.....my GSP can peel paint on a normal day, when he gets into deer i consider moving to a new house sick

Last edited by rattler; 12/13/11.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Ice cube dogfarts are way better!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wife has a recipe to make our own dog treats......frozzen grapes for my lab in the summer.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by atvalaska
wife has a recipe to make our own dog treats......frozzen grapes for my lab in the summer.
You'd better do a little research on that. Grapes and raisins can cause severe kidney failure in dogs.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These two like, don't love, all manner of fancy treats. But the prospect of processed American cheese will put them into a glassy-eyed trance.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sandcritter
These two like, don't love, all manner of fancy treats. But the prospect of processed American cheese will put them into a glassy-eyed trance.

my bird dog will pass up a chunk of prime rib for a taste out of your glass of milk.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Carrots.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
10-4 on grapes and raisins, onions and garlic being toxic.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I take the old freezer burnt venison, place in a pan of water, bring it to a boil, and let it cool. Any wonder why my dog loves me.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
a vet told me years ago one of the best treats for a dog was saltine crackers. all my dogs have loved em', plus they don't add weight. store-bought treats are very fattening. deer meat gives mine the green apple quick step.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One time my BIL & I shot 2 does out of a herd of mulies - high timber and in snow. They tasted so terrible we couldn't eat it so we made dog meat out of them. The dogs wouldn't eat it either. I don't know what those deer had been eating but it sure ruined the meat.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Carrots.

+1

Baby carrots are preferred browse.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
apples
peanut butter
crackers
french fries
cheese
wiener pieces
carrots

Yeah my dogs is spoiled but she has to work for her food.

Wieners are used when teaching something new. My dog has made the connection that when they are used it's time to pay attention and link a behavior with a treat. I never ran across this in a dog before.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use to give our lab ice cubes and he loved them, but one day I gave hm one and he hurled it back up. We no longer give him ice cubes and now he gets carrots and he loves them. We put them in beef bones(cleaned out) and Kongs and make him work for his goodies.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dam ,i'm playing with a dead dog!!! .........took a look on the web...so now i have to eat the little/soggy ones......

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just buy dog bones from IAMS.
The dogs will do anything for them and they don't really taste bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 204guy, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,850
Posts18,496,983
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.