Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 57 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 56 57
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Here are some grips that our own Campfire member Idaho1945 makes. I bought these from him about a year about 90% finished. They sat on my bench until just recently. I just got them finished up and put on my 5" Classic DX.

I make no claim to being a craftsman, but they turned out nicely for me. They fill the palm of my right hand just right. Much better than the factory finger groove types that came on the gun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My latest, a rendition of the special run of 500 5" 29's made in 1958.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Tony,

Where did you find that sweet old piece?

It looks like a nice one. I am not much of a collector and am afraid if I owned such a rare bird I would be out killing stuff with it! In fact I would be bound and determined to punch a cow elk or two with it, or at least try.

By the way, the bottom gun in this picture of 5" 29s below is the 5" 29 Classic DX and the original round butt, finger groove grips that came with it. The new ones,as pictured in my above post, are way more practical for me.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mine is not one of the originals but was a 6" M29 that I had the barrel cut and new front sight mounted on. The grips are the original and somewhat hard to find "coke's" from an early beater M29 I had converted to 45 Colt. Below is the before and after picture of the gun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mackay those are very very nice indeed!!! I wish I had some of those pistols back in my vault today.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks Tonk!

It has taken quite a number of years to not only figure out what works best for me in regards to actions and barrels lengths, (and collect the guns) but leather as well. In the end, my tastes run to simple, high quality rigs.

Now I have managed to accumulate enough examples that meet my needs and hunting styles perfectly. My goal from here on out is to wear the bluing off of them and simply wear them out!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice. I like the holster too.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Gentlemen:

Many of you seem to think that a 240 or 250 grain cast bullet with 10 grains of Unique to be a great standard midrange load for most occasions.

I am casting two SWC bullets that seem to come out at about 265 grains out of my wheelweights. One is the 429244gc, and the other is a duplicate of the old H & G 503, it is flatbase nongc.

Suggest what you think to be a good midrange load for these two bullets.

I just loaded up some of the nongc bullets with 17 grains of Hercules 2400. I havent tried these yet. Speaking of Unique I have about 4 lbs of ersatz Accurate #5 that I got from Pat McDonald some years back. Its burn rate is about the same as Unique. Has anyone tried AA#5?

Thanks for any input you can expound.

Yes: the 44 mag is a great cartridge, maybe the greatest for range of use.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I have no experience with the powders you mention.

With the minor differences in weight that your cast bullets are dropping at, as compared to the 240s and 250s, I would suggest the following:

Start out at 8.5 grains Unique (or its equivilant), then in .5 grain increments work up to 10 grains. More likely than not,somewhere in that range you will find a "sweet spot" for you, in regards to accuracy and recoil management.

That is really the true joy of the mid range 44 loads. They have just the right amount of power to handle most reasonable tasks, as well as being easy on the shooter. Most loads in this range will also cut tiny groups out of just about any .44.

Good luck and report back on the results, good or bad.

Cheers!

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
The thread about the Super Blackhawk VS the S&W M29 made me think it was time to toss in a couple new pics...

So, here is a fresh pic of some N framed .44s

I snuck one NIB .44 special in there. The rest are magnums. One is an unfired 29-2 4" that I have been saving for a rainy day.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hey Mackay, what would you say a minty 29-2 4" would go for these days? Original box and accessories and paperwork. Probably going to buy it regardless. Just curious.

Thanks in advance,
Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
429244 w/21 gr. H110

Originally Posted by swarf
Gentlemen:

Many of you seem to think that a 240 or 250 grain cast bullet with 10 grains of Unique to be a great standard midrange load for most occasions.

I am casting two SWC bullets that seem to come out at about 265 grains out of my wheelweights. One is the 429244gc, and the other is a duplicate of the old H & G 503, it is flatbase nongc.

Suggest what you think to be a good midrange load for these two bullets.

I just loaded up some of the nongc bullets with 17 grains of Hercules 2400. I havent tried these yet. Speaking of Unique I have about 4 lbs of ersatz Accurate #5 that I got from Pat McDonald some years back. Its burn rate is about the same as Unique. Has anyone tried AA#5?

Thanks for any input you can expound.

Yes: the 44 mag is a great cartridge, maybe the greatest for range of use.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Hey Mackay, what would you say a minty 29-2 4" would go for these days? Original box and accessories and paperwork. Probably going to buy it regardless. Just curious.

Thanks in advance,
Travis

Travis,

Minty, as in really nice 29-2, with box, but has been fired, somewhere in the area of 8 bills, depending on the region.

Mint, brand new in the box 29-2, somewherein the area of $1,100.

That is a bit of a guess BTW, as I have not been doing much trading lately and older N frame prices were getting steep quickly a couple of years ago.

The S&W forum is a good place to check in to see what current prices look like.

Sadly, the days of the $400 29-2s are gone for the most part.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Thanks in advance,
Travis

Local markets vary quite a bit when it comes to pricing. I bought a very clean 29-2, with the case and tools (no paperwork) for $699 earlier this year. The case was worn on the inside (immaterial to me, as I sold it along with the factory grips right after buying the gun) which likely drove the price down. The 4" variants are, in my experience, the hardest to come by. I see probably 5-6 6.5" and 8 3/8" 29-2's for every 4" I see, so that also affects the selling price.

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/03/11.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Thanks in advance,
Travis

Travis,

Minty, as in really nice 29-2, with box, but has been fired, somewhere in the area of 8 bills, depending on the region.

Mint, brand new in the box 29-2, somewherein the area of $1,100.

That is a bit of a guess BTW, as I have not been doing much trading lately and older N frame prices were getting steep quickly a couple of years ago.

The S&W forum is a good place to check in to see what current prices look like.

I agree with Mackay on this point, as a truly "mint" gun will have all matching accessories, and collectors know exactly what to look for (for example, whether the backing inside the case is correct for the era the gun was made) all of which, if they are proper and matching, drive up the price. A truly mint 29-2-not just a "clean" 29-2 but a truly mint gun (no turn line, no scoring on recoil shield, no scuffs in the checkering of the grips: in short, no evidence of ever having been fired outside the factory) are hard to come by, and are priced accordingly.

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/03/11.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This one didn't have a ring on the cylinder. It was cherry. He wants $950.00 and if it's there when I return he will likely have my money. Again...

Thanks to all who replied.

Travis

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I just got back from chasing elk. Did you get the Model 29?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Thanks in advance,
Travis

Travis,

Colt DA revolver prices shot way up several years ago and S&W's are following suit. The economy is probably the only thing that has held it back some.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just got back from chasing elk.

How did you do?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
dph Offline
D
My 2 .44s; both Super Blackhawks
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 11 of 57 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 56 57

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,467
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.