Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have passed on two Mt Lions one at 50 yards the other at 18 feet. The second one was causing me to sweat. Hate rattlers because I am hearing impaired and can't hear them. In my misguided youth I shot one bear and have passed up 15 or so since. Never had the desire to shoot a moose or a "big" bear. . I think most everything else in the US is fair game.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I will get hammered for this but....Buffalo and Mountain Lion...unless it was going to kill me. Buffalo caught too much of a beatin' from us the first go around. They appear as stupid as the moose are here in NH.

Africa/Asia...Elephants, Tigers, Giraffe, Lions...hippos

Artic...seals, polar bear.

Last edited by fatjack34; 12/13/11.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gunner500
Having not been to Africa yet, I have no interest in killing:

Elephant
Giraffe
Rhino
Zebra

Pretty much the same for me! Also, I don't have much interest in black bear or moose here. I know, seems kinda weird, especially since grizzly and elk are high on my desirable list of hunts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ingwe;
Thank you for starting the fascinating thread and of course thanks to those here who've responded to make it so.

It's funny - as in ironically funny - that many non-hunters don't get this side of us whatsoever, or that has been my impression in talking to them.

Locally speaking or relatively so, I've no burning desire to shoot any of the cats. I've had a bobcat in the crosshair at least twice now and it just didn't feel right.

At a local game banquet I've eaten both bobcat and cougar and while the latter was quite decent table fare, I must confess no burning desire to run in snow up to my waist for hours to shoot one.

To be crystal clear, I have several friends and acquaintances who are successful houndsmen and I love to hear their cat hunting stories, but at present it isn't for me.

At one time I had a burning desire to shoot a grizzly bear, but somewhere in my early 40's it left quietly enough that it was a year or three before I realized it was gone.

I could care less if I shoot any bears from here on in actually, but I do pack a BC black bear tag every year as it's much simpler to deal with bears who won't listen to reason with a tag in your pocket. I should add we have a very long and generous bear season here which would give a bit of latitude if the need arose. That said, I hope for me it doesn't.

Interestingly enough our eldest does have a burning desire to shoot a good black bear and we've come close a time or two and turned down a bunch more since she began the quest. For her, I'm entirely up for a bear hunt any time she wants to go.

In the global sense I couldn't see shooting an elephant or a giraffe either. Hippos wouldn't make the list either unless they got chippy - so they might just make it then I suppose? wink

Thanks again for the interesting thread ingwe. All the best to you and yours in the upcoming Christmas season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No desire to kill ducks. I do not want to eat them, and think they are cool little animals.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I doubt the Big Five is ever in cards for me. Closer to home I don't care if I ever kill another turkey.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm kinda along the same lines as Dwayne. I really could careless if I ever shoot another bear but loved dearly taking folks out to get a bear.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I doubt the Big Five is ever in cards for me. Closer to home I don't care if I ever kill another turkey.

Now that's just weird. Turkey are by far my favorite...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fatjack34
I will get hammered for this but....Buffalo and Mountain Lion...unless it was going to kill me. Buffalo caught too much of a beatin' from us the first go around. They appear as stupid as the moose are here in NH.

if yah have had the chance to eat them a fair amount i expect your feelings may change.....i would not hesitate to shoot someones "livestock bison" in a pasture but thats cause i would be hard pressed to pass up having a freezer full of the meat....wouldnt be hunting but dammit sometimes yah just want a freezer full of bison laugh grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If I were rich, buffalo are the only critters in the Big 5 list I would hunt, zero interest in the others.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I cant think of a single critter that I can say I have no desire to shoot at least once.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Great big whitetail bucks. I sort of prefer to think they're still sneaking around the place and I see one once in a while. We eat several does each year tho.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mine would be:

Elephant
Hippo
Giraffe
Zebra
Any of the Big Cats
And, Gorilla, Baboon, or any primate for that matter.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
There is nothing on this earth I wouldn't kill circumstances providing....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Elephant(unless it happened to be a rogue, of course), Giraffe, Zebra, Rhino. Here in the USA, any turtle except for a big Snapper, and even then I'd only kill one of them if me or someone I was with was going to eat it. I've always really liked turtles. smile

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have no desire to shoot sage hens. Had plenty of chances but they just are not a challenge. Could be shot out of the air with a .22 cause they are so big and fly so slow. Just not many around either just pockets of them here and there.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Sandhill cranes and the primates seem to come to mind.
The rest it pretty much depends on the proper management needs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2, Sasquatch and Unicorns

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
....forgot 1....MAN

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by laker
I have no desire to shoot sage hens. Had plenty of chances but they just are not a challenge. Could be shot out of the air with a .22 cause they are so big and fly so slow. Just not many around either just pockets of them here and there.

Forgive my ignorance Laker, but could that be the same bird i happened upon while bowhunting elk in Colorado?

The guys at camp said to shoot this certain bird if i saw one that they were excellent for the camp pot [i had a small game tag also]
Anyway, i saw one of these creatures sitting on a rock with his back to me, not a foot off the ground, i raised and drew my bow, about that time this bird turned a 180 on this rock and looked right at me dead in the eyes, it just sit there staring, i didnt shoot it, lowered my draw and walked within 15' of this bird.
Dangest thing i ever seen, he just sat there and watched me walk on by. crazy i kept the story to myself back at camp blush

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (204guy, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,860 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,608
Posts18,532,787
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.