-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just had a CFL meltdown in my bathroom. It flickered and went out. No big deal.
About a minute later, I smelled smoke so I glanced up at the bulb and noticed it was beginning to melt down and had smoke coming out of it. I watched it for about 10 seconds and could see that it was still heating, the melting was spreading, and it showed no signs the the event was going to end. I grabbed the tip of the bulb to remove it. It took very little pressure before the bulb crack on one side.I grabbed a towel and remove the bulb. It was pretty damn hot.
So I went on Google to see if this was a common occurrence.It seems that there are multiple reports along with multiple denials. Mine was in an open vanity/light-bar. Not enclosed and no dimmer switch. Just thought I'd give a warning. At this point I really don't give a damn what the lefties and Snopes have to say. I saw it with my own eyes.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
WOW! So much for "cool white" light!

Glad you caught it in time!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Two fires in Alaska were found to be caused by this. Documented by the State Fire Marshall. One involved the death of a woman. If you have them, throw them out or run the risk of death. I can't believe how many put them in their house where their kids sleep at night.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Had the same thing happen with one of these energy saving bulbs. After a lot of smoke it just stopped by itself. Part of the base was melted away which was made of plastic causing the smoke. A stinking mess in the house. Are these things really a better idea???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 280shooter

[Linked Image]

I was in a customers' home a while back, they had one of these bulbs that had gone out and started smoking; it looked just like the one in your picture.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
the result of no testing in China
Original CFLs made here lasted for YEARS and never had the fire issue.

But this is Very commonand the number one reason I will have none in my home.
I have seen them turn into mini flame throwers.
And set anything nearby on fire.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've had several CFL bulbs self-destruct in similar fashion. Two were the hairpin type where the glass tube actually melted and popped, fortunately I was sitting next to the lamp when it happened. So I bought two cases of 100 each 60 and 100 watt incandescent bulbs - should last my life time. Too bad they were made in China also.

It is said that such a failure requires a hazardous materials cleanup, due to mercury release, but I suspect giving up tuna for a year will compensate. See what mischief environmental wackos create with their delusions.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 12/14/11.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
WOW! So much for "cool white" light!

Glad you caught it in time!

Ed
For sure.. But now do you have that dangerous mercury in your house? Get ready for the haz-mat cleanup bill...

I will NEVER, EVER, have one of those pos bulbs in my house. And gov't be damned...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've seen this happen at work a few times. No fires yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
280shooter and anyone else who has had this happen, please document what happened, including photos, and send the documentation to your representatives in Congress and your state legislature. The "safety" issue is the way to turn the tide on the CFL mandate. Also, if some state legislatures start banning CFLs due to the safety issue, the tide has to turn at the federal level.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
A hazmat laden, prone to fire product that is mandated by the .gov. What could possibly go wrong? Only paranoid tinfoil hatters would dare question our overlords..

Embrace your overlords, it's for the chirrins! cool

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
280shooter and anyone else who has had this happen, please document what happened, including photos, and send the documentation to your representatives in Congress and your state legislature. The "safety" issue is the way to turn the tide on the CFL mandate. Also, if some state legislatures start banning CFLs due to the safety issue, the tide has to turn at the federal level.
HAH... GOOD LUCK..

A small button on a child's toy and they're BANNED... But a fire-hazard, mercury-laden bulb that can burn down your house?? NO PROBLEMO...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was totally unaware of the risks created by these damed CFLs...

Thanks for this informative warning.

5 reasons to hate them:

- they do not last as long as claimed, far from it

- they give a very unpleasant light

- they are ever so slow to reach full light output

and now :

- they will lit up the house!!!...

Add to that :

- they are damn expensive!!!

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And they are so great for making a dark room even gloomier.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 46 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,662
Posts18,512,891
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.