Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A few of my reloading aquaintances seem to always be buying the newest gadget for reloading that is introduced. I started out using a buddies equipment and I owned my dies and he owned his. He really liked the company as his family was grown up and gone. After his passing the family sold all his stuff before I could offer to buy it.

I then bought a RockChucker "kit" and have only added a Case Prep Center. That was 20 plus years ago. I am on my second tumbler(wore out the first) I still prime with the press mounted device with the primer tubes, still use the Uni-Flo and 5-0-5 scale. Use mainly "ball type" powders in the Uni-Flo, though I load a limited amount of 4831sc and use the scale and original powder trickler to top these off. All my original stuff works great even with my 9mm Parabellum loading though a bit slow I suppose. I bought this equipment to save money, so getting rid of useable stuff is just not my style.

Just used up some primers marked at $9.95 per thousand grin

In short I really enjoy reloading, though I really enjoy shooting on the cheap. Are any of you still using all your original equipment?

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Count me in...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some things I still use, others I've replaced, or changed methods to achieve the same result.

I now use a progressive press for handgun, or large batches of varmint/plinking rounds. My original Redding single-stage still sees all the work up, rifle-hunting, and accuracy loads. I've replaced the oil dampened scale, and trickler with a digital dispenser/scale, and to be honest, the speed with which that setup operates rivals the progressive (including set up, tear down, clean up).

I'm a blend, some old - some new.

Last edited by Mako25; 12/14/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still have what I started with......with numerous additions grin

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I still use & prefer my RCBS RockChucker. I could not even begin to imagine how many rounds have been loaded on my press.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Lee Loaders are still used, mostly at the range for load work up. I don't bang on them with a hammer anymore...got an arbor press now.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
chainsaw - I used my RCBS Jr for @25 yrs and the only upgrade I've done is, I got the RockChucker. I had bought the Pact digital scale before that.

GOOD equipment lasts a long time.

My son has my Jr press, still works well.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chainsaw
Get yourself a Lee Auto Prime hand priming tool.
You will not use the press again.
Yep I still use the stuff I got in the kit from umteen years ago.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
same press, scale, powder trickler, funnel, trimmer. Added Lee primer tool and trimmers and RCBS powder measure. Very happy with the old stuff. GRF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Still have my old RCBS kit. Added case prep center, Forester trimmer, hand primer, and a few other hand tools. Works fine for hunting loads by the hundred.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Still using RCBS Junior press, bought in 1963.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use my father's RCBS reloading equipment that he bought in the 1960's. It's a family heirloom that should last many thousands of years.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still use the RCBS Rock Chucker press I bought with lawn mower money in 1968. I have to replace primer seating a couple of times worn out. Updated scales, and dies from time to time. All in all it's some of the best money I ever spent along with that 50 lbs of 4831 that I also bought at the time, just used the last of that power three years ago.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Still use the Lee Anniversary Kit I bought about 1993. Everything works just fine; I once twisted the linkage and Lee mailed me a new part, express mail, that day, free of charge. For a 15-year-old press.
I think sometimes about getting a more robust press, either a Lee Classic Cast or RCBS Rockchucker, but my old press just keeps on chuggin'.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I still use my father's Rockchucker and Ohaus scale he bought in 1960 but use a different powder measure. Funny thing the powder measure has no name on it.
But I can set it up to keep within 0.2 grain by weighing every tenth charge or so. I can load 44 founds in less than 1/2 hour this way.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I still use my Rockchucker I bought in 1972. If I had to replace it I would probably get a Redding, because I like the other Redding products I have. However, the old Rockchucker has done a lot of work and shows no signs of quitting or serious wear. Some other gear has been added or replaced, but I still have the items from the original kit.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not exactly. Started out as a teenager with a Herter's loading die for a 222 Rem that was similar in style to the Lee Loader. I had very little instruction. After getting a case stuck because I knew nothing about trimming, I got an RCBS kit and a Herters case trimmer in about 1974 after that and we still have it. Switched to a Redding turret press though a few years ago though.

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm still using my first and only press. It's a Dillon 450..lots of ammo loaded with this beauty of a press.Bought in 1980...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still have every reloading tool I ever owned. My primary press is still my old RCBS JR3. It's a bit small for the magnum rounds, but I don't load them much any more. Never had a good reason to replace it. I broke the priming arm a couple times. In fact, I'm waiting to receive a replacement from RCBS in the mail now.

My first tool, a Lee Loader for 12 gauge shotshells, doesn't get used any more, what with my carpal tunnel syndrome. That thing is to blame, at least in part, for me having the cursed disease in the first place (all the hay bales I tossed and rocks I picked up back in the day also contributed). I stuffed every hull I could scrounge with that thing. Started with Alcan powder and Feltan Bluestreak fiber wads. I spilled a lot of shot in those days. Then I discovered the little nylon Lee crimp starters, Winchester AA "compression formed" hulls and WWAA12 plastic wads. Nothin' but tight, spill-proof crimps from then on, as long as I could scrounge hulls. I re-stuffed those things until they wore out, and then a couple more times. Most of the shells were emptied on tin cans hand thrown by anybody that would do it, or myself when nobody would oblige. Some might say "those were the good ol' days" but I would not want to relive that part of my life for anything.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Still using the single stage Pacific press I bought when I got home from SEA in 1973. Still using the magnetically dampened Redding powder scale for checking weights. (Redding measure for volume reloading.) Still use the Forster case trimmer I got at that time but also use an RCBS quick change for some calibers. Still telling myself I'm going to get a progressive pretty soon...

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (280Ackleyrized, 12344mag, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 47 invisible), 1,669 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,047
Posts18,521,183
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.