-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
If anyone went to Quebec or Ontario this year for caribou and wants to give a report on the hunt or outfitter, please do.
I want to go in the next few years, and choosing an outfitter is like choosing fishing lures- they all work sometimes...
Thanks

"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunted with Nunami in Que. in 03 and would use them agian , another outfit to look at is Mirage in Que also. Good luck with the research....

I Kill Things......deal with it..
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I did the winter hunt last year with Mirage and have no complaints. Hard to get a spot I am told.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
wildone
How big a bull did you kill?Did you go in late Sept or early
Oct ? How many flyouts did you get?

sourmash
Nunami and Courageous Lake (in the NWT) are two top bou
destinations today.Look in the book and see how many came
from Courageous Lake.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys,
I need to get this done under $5k door-to-door. It's only 8-10 hours drive to Montreal for me, so that's a big money saver over flying/shipping to & from the NWT. That would be awesome, but I have to be practical.

-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
DIY in Alaska @3500.00 door to door

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff , killed to one B&C minimum and another P&Y with Nunami . Hunted in Sept. Following year I went to 17B in AK on a solo DIY hunt and scored there too not a B&C though . It all depends on what you want. Those 3 places are top shelf caribou lodges, a DIY is an adventure .

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
there is no Cariboo season in Ontarion at all, the population is quite small and no hunting is allowed. I would think you could fly to Yellowknife pretty simply from Detroit, a direct flight ot Edmonton probably exists.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Quebec it is , then.
Please remember, I'm hoping to hear from someone who went very recently, for a report on the hunting, herd, and outfitter.
I'm a middle age desk-jockey with a family history of heart disease. AK DIY would probably not be a prudent option.
I don't want to pack in the food, supply my own shelter, or crawl out by myself if I break my ankle.
I'm traveling solo, as my friends either aren't interested or can't spare the money.
So, who's been to Quebec caribou hunting lately, and how was it? Thanks!

-Mark Twain
~ Winston Churchill

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Talk to Glenn Dunning, he will set you up with one of several options to suit your needs and it won't cost any more than going direct.

http://www.tundratour.com

John

"A spirit of national masochism prevails, encouraged by an effete corps of impudent snobs who characterize themselves as intellectuals."
Spiro Agnew
IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Quebec it is , then.
Please remember, I'm hoping to hear from someone who went very recently, for a report on the hunting, herd, and outfitter.
I'm a middle age desk-jockey with a family history of heart disease. AK DIY would probably not be a prudent option.
I don't want to pack in the food, supply my own shelter, or crawl out by myself if I break my ankle.
I'm traveling solo, as my friends either aren't interested or can't spare the money.
So, who's been to Quebec caribou hunting lately, and how was it? Thanks!

I went last year for a drive up DYI hunt in the Winter with Nouhimi. Great hunt got two nice Bou. I would highly recomend it.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all replies!
Now, if anyone wants to supply some tips and wisdom, the kinds of things that don't show up in the brochures and websites, that would be great.

-Mark Twain
~ Winston Churchill

A
acy Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I've sent you a PM. Al

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
sourmash,

Sent you a PM.

BOWHUNR

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Practice long shots and don't be afraid to wait for a bigger caribou, one will come by. They are very tasty creatures too!

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sourmash:

I just returned from Newfoundland. There was a fellow in my camp from Michigan about 1 hour south of the bridge. I also met 4 other hunters from Michigan.

The caribou in Newfoundland are Woodland caribou. Several hunters I met went for a combo Moose and Caribou hunt. The camp I was in had 100% success in both moose and caribou.

Another hunter in my camp hunted Quebec last year with Jack Hume. He said it was excellent. The caribou herd was so big it was brushing against hunters as they filmed the animals.

Last year I hunted caribou in Newfoundland. My hunt lasted 30 minutes. There were 7 hunters in camp. By noon on the first day 5 hunters were back with caribou. By Wednesday 7 hunters had 9 caribou.

I have volumes of information about Newfoundland if you are interested.

Bill Tibbe

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W:
Thanks for the info.
I tried to PM you, but no-go.
Where did you have to go to meet up with the outfitter?
Best,
Tony

-Mark Twain
~ Winston Churchill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tony:

As regards Newfoundland I posted an extensive amount of information on the 50" Moose thread. I'll copy and post here for you.

I'll also give you the benefit of my research, contacts and information about Quebec/Labrador. But first Nunavit.

To hunt Nunavit you need to get to Winnipeg and then fly up. There are no roads.

You can either fly or drive to the interior of both Quebec and Labrador. But the drive up to the rendezvous in Quebec is 18 hours over a logging road, one way. *( When you look at your map you will be astonished at how far north you must go. The gathering point is Schefferville where outfitters disperse hunters out to camps. You can also drive to Labrador but it is a different road far East of montreal. One advantage of driving is that you can leave whenever you want to. I have many other outfitters names and much more info available.

The herds of caribou are the Leaf river and Georges River herd. These are the barren ground caribou. They summer on the Labrador coast then migrate inland for the winter. The herds number about 750,000 at this time. About 35,000 are taken annually by predators who are bears, wolves and humans.

The hunting season is from early fall to late winter and early spring. If you go early the mosquitos and bugs will be terrible. During the full rut the meat turns inedible. Last year a policeman from Ohio was in my camp in Newfoundland. He hunted Quebec and came home empty. Their camp had about 14 hunters. Seven went one way and seven went the other . The first seven found the herd and tagged out in 1/2 hour. The others didn't see anything. That's the dilemma to deal with. Your outfitter has to put you on the herd. You can take two caribou in Quebec and Labrador.

The fellow who was in my camp this year, who hunted Quebec last year, was Doug Cruger from Connecticut. His phone is 860-563-4026 and E-mail is [email]cake010juno.com.[/email] You can tell him Bill Tibbe, who hunted with him this year, referred you. He's a very affable fellow and will no doubt fill you in on details. His outfitter in Quebec last year was Jack Hume:

http://www.jackhumeadventures.com/home.html

If you are interested in Newfoundland for moose and caribou then read the following dissertation. I have some photos of my moose that I can E-mail to you and one of the other fellows.

I'll steal Doug's thunder and tell you about his incident. He and guide sat down for lunch when out walked a monster caribou stag 65 yards away. He filmed it and showed it in camp. He'll no doubt tell you about it. Newfoundland caribou are the Woodlands Caribou. It is the only place in the world presently where they can be hunted. The herd numbers 120,000. Only one stag is allowed.

If you want to E-mail me here's my address:

wetibbe@msn.com

My outfitter as well as much other data is in the following post.
I earnestly recommend Aster Caines. *( You can tell him Bill Tibbe referred you ). He is a decent, reliable good fellow with good personnel, a good camp and great cook. You will come home with moose and caribou tags filled out for sure. They may not be record setters but there are definitely Boone & Crockett stags in the area as well as 50 inch moose. It's the luck of the draw. Just don't shoot the first one unless it is what you want. You can do all in a week hunt but if you want better then go for the trophy camp *( $500 extra ) or the 10 day hunt. *( You will pass over lots of bulls and stags in 10 days ).

Note that Asters area is vast and no-one locally ever goes in there. It is too remote. He only takes 8 to 9 moose out of Owl Pond camp annually. Some camps harvest 120. His locations are virtually untouched as far as volume take is concerned. And his area is just as likely to have big moose and big caribou as any of the others in the Northern Peninsula. It's the best area in Newfoundland.

Bill Tibbe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sourmash:

I just returned from Newfoundland. You don't want to go to New Brunswick. The season is only 3 days. In Newfoundland your outfitter gets your licenses guaranteed.

You can drive or fly. Driving is recommended. Take I-95 to Bangor, Maine then go to Calais Maine to cross the border. Then over to the TCH on to North Sydney Nova Scotia where you will take the ferry to Port Aux Basques Newfoundland.

I hunted moose this year up north and last year caribou down south. Hunter success with the right outfitter is 100% on both moose and caribou. Hunters go for both the moose and caribou tag on a one week hunt and they get both animals. The cost for moose is $3500 and to add a caribou isn't very much more. In the camp I hunted all hunters for the last 5 years have had 100% on both moose and caribou.

There are 50 inch moose in northern Newfoundland. But you may be very lucky. A 43" to 46" is obtainable and it isn't really a bad trophy. One guide out of Tuckamore Lodge in the extreme north guided 5 hunters who all got 43" to 49" moose. But some hunters will take 8 pointers with a 36" - 38" spread. *( Aster Caines, my outfitter, is very disappointed. He says they get too anxious. They should wait for a better one ).

Outfitters costs vary. You can get a book "Hunting & Fishing Guide 2005-2006" from the Newfoundland & Labrador Department of Environment and Conservation, Inland Fish and Wildlife Division, P.O. Box 2007 Corner Brook, NL A2H 7S1 Phone 709 637 2025. It has all areas and game rules and regulations. It also gives a detailed account of the moose allowed to be taken and a percent of success.

The book is found here in PDF. On page 16 there is a moose area map. Page 17 gives the season quotas and success ration. Page 18 is caribou and page 19 gives seasons, quotas and success ratios.

http://www.env.gov.nl.ca/env/wildlife/licences/Guide%202005_2006.pdf

You may also want to contact the Newfoundland & Labrador Tourism P.O. Box 8730 St. Johns, Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada A1B 4K2. Tel: 709 729-2830. E-mail tourisminfo@gov.nl.ca and website; http://www.newfoundlandandlabradortourism.com/home.zap And call 1-800-563-Nfld.

Ask for a map, a tourist book which is great and complete and a "Guide to Hunting and Fishing Outfitters".

So far as picking an area and an outfitter, after two seasons I believe the best areas for both big moose and big caribou are those up north on the Northern Peninsula which is the western side above Gros Morne Park. There are several areas and several good outfitters. Your best bet for both species is also up there.

I hunted with Aster Caines, Portland Creek Hunting and Fishing out of Portland Creek. He has 4 camps there and also fishing camps in Labrador. He runs a very good operation, had good guides and comfortable camps. Our cook was a woman from the area, Eileen White, who cooked home meals, made fresh bread every second day and deserts every night. The cabin only takes 4 hunters.

On the first day we started out at 7:30 AM walking through tundra, bogs, balsam and spruce. 200 yards from the cabin I saw moose. After about 1 1/2 miles I had seen 12 moose, of which 5 were bulls. My guide suggested that I take one which I did at 9:00 AM. I only hunted 1 1/2 hours. It wasn't spectacular, 13 points 39" spread but very symmetrical and very nice appearing. We were back in the cabin before noon for lunch with the moose hanging in the meat house. The other two also took moose later on wednesday and thursday.

In the camp next to us *( also Asters camp ) the three hunters stepped out of the cabin at 7:15 AM and saw 7 moose. They shot two. After they got theirs a 16 point bull walked out.

The moose areas are numbered and the caribou areas are also but a different numbering system. When you get your book you will see the areas up north. If you want to contact Aster:

Aster Caines
Portland Creek Hunting & Fishing
Generaol Delivery *( 11 Circular Road )
Portland Creek, NL A0K 4GO

Tel: 709-898-2411

Email: chriscaines@nf.aibn.com

Web: www.canadiantrophyhunting.com

I'll toss out some other names of outfitters to simplify your search. These are well known and I spoke to hunters who were with them.

* Portland Creek Outfitters, Leonard Payne
Web: www.portlandcreekoutfitter.com

Tuckamore Wilderness Lodge, Barb Genge.
Web: http://www.tuckamorelodge.com/
*( One of her guides success this year was 5 hunters with 43" to 49" spread. )

Brophy & Sons. Stedman Brophy
Web: www3.nf.sympatico.ca/leander.brophy - or
www.brophyandsonsoutfitting.com

All of the camps are remote wilderness. Access is either float plane, helicopter or ATV.

Hunting success depends much on weather. Wind and rain are not good. We has sunshine every day I was there. The terrain doesn't have much effect on the animals. There is tundra, bog and forest as well as mountinous terrain. Sucess is about equal. Best week is first in October. The rut is on and I could tell you bizarre, wild laughable tales about what the moose do in rut.

There is a very good meat cutter in Portland Creek, Chris Gagnon. He will cut and vacpack. My moose boned out weighed 257 pounds. It is 7 styrofoam boxes of about 35 to 50 pounds each. *( Cost about $.54 per pound to cut vacpack and freeze ). The meat can be packed that way or flown out which is expensive *( $170 first box then $70 each after that ) and they also have a unique delivery system. They store the meat until November in a freezer then run a truck all over the USA delivering the meat to hunters.

I took Coleman stainless steel coolers. After 3 days most meat was still frozen with no ice added. Moose will keep a week with no worries about spoiling. Chris says a vac pack will keep the meat a long time without a problem.

You will need to fill out a non-resident firearm declaration JUS 909 ( 2000/10/31 ). The cost is $25 Canadian for multiple firearms and it is good for 60 days. *( Last year it was $50 CDN good for a year ).

Canadian gasoline is readily available and averages somewhere around $1.12 per liter. The exchange this year is $1.21 CDN for each US dollar. It dropped. Last year it was $1.38 CDN for 1 US dollar. The gasoline is about US$3.78 per US gallon.

Meals and motels in Canada are not too far different in price than some parts of the USA. Some Canadian prices are lower than US.

The Ferry boat from Nova Scotia to Newfouldland is Marine Atlantic. www.marineatlantic.ca It is huge, 450 feet long 7 decks, ocean going, takes 700 autos and many 18 wheelers. Has sleeping cabins, a lounge, restaurant, movies, gift shop. Reservations are mandatory. Cost is $76.50 CDN per auto plus $26 CDN per person. One way. Ferry crossing is 5 to 6 hours daytime and 7 1/2 hours night time. Two ferries daily.

Newfoundland can be characterized as vastly underpopulated, tiny villages, few people, almost all pristine forests, long stretches of road with NO traffic for miles *( miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles of nothing ) and loaded with game. It is very clean and uncluttered. The facilities are "spartan" and basic, no frills. The people are unquestionably very friendly and congenial.

Bill Tibbe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 1234, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,308
Posts18,505,514
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.